[COMPLETE] Practical Religion by John Charles Ryle -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Zeal, sections 10 and 11

part 1
please read until
True zeal will be decided, as a surgeon dealing with a diseased limb; but true zeal will be gentle, as one that is dressing the wounds of a brother. True zeal will speak truth boldly, like Athanasius, against the world, and not care who is offended; but true zeal will endeavour, in all its speaking, to "speak the truth in love."

part 2
please start at
(5) Furthermore, if zeal be true, it will be joined to a deep humility. A truly zealous man will be the last to discover the greatness of his own attainments. All that he is and does will come so immensely short of his own desires, that he will be filled with a sense of his own unprofitableness, and amazed to think that God should work by him at all.

Happiness, sections 13 and 14

part 1
please read until
Happiness does not depend on houses or land; silks and satins cannot shut out sorrow from the heart; castles and halls cannot prevent anxiety and care coming in at their doors. There is as much misery riding and driving about in carriages as there is walking about on foot: there is as much unhappiness in ceiled houses as in humble cottages. Oh, remember the mistakes which are common about happiness, and be wise!

part 2
please start at
III. Let me now, in the last place, point out the way to be really happy.
There is a sure path which leads to happiness, if men will only take it. There never lived the person who travelled in that path, and missed the object that he sought to attain.

The World, sections 16 and 17

part 1
please read until
If the world is offended by such separation we cannot help it. But let us never give the world occasion to say that our separation is foolish, senseless, ridiculous, unreasonable, uncharitable, and unscriptural.

part 2
please start at
III. In the third place, I shall try to show what true separation from the world really is.
I take up this branch of my subject with a very deep sense of its difficulty.

Riches and Poverty, sections 18 and 19

part 1
please read until
Let us live for eternity. Let us seek a portion that can never be taken from us. And let us never forget John Bunyan's golden rule: "He that would live well, let him make his dying day his company-keeper."

part 2
please start at
IV. Let us observe, in the next place, how precious a believer's soul is in the sight of God.
The rich man, in the parable, dies and is buried. Perhaps he had a splendid funeral,—a funeral proportioned to his expenditure while he was yet alive. But we hear nothing further of the moment when soul and body were divided. The next thing we hear of is that he is in hell.

Heirs of God, sections 24 and 25

part 1
please read until
The Queen can create a nobleman. The Bishops can ordain clergymen. But Queen, Lords, and Commons,—bishops, priests, and deacons,—all together cannot, of their own power, make one son of God, or one of greater dignity than a son of God. The man that can call God his Father, and Christ his elder brother,—that man may be poor and lowly, yet he never need be ashamed.

part 2
please start at
II. Let me show, in the second place, the special evidences of the true Christians relation to God.
How shall a man make sure work of his own sonship? How shall he find out whether he is one that has come to Christ by faith and been born again?

The Great Separation, sections 27 and 28

part 1
please read until
Surely it never answers to act a part. Surely it never answers, like Ananias and Sapphira, to pretend to give God something, and yet to keep back your heart. It all fails at last. Your joy is but for a moment. Your hopes are no better than a dream. Oh, tremble, tremble: tremble and repent!

part 2
please start at
III. Let me show, in the third place, the portion which Christ's people shall receive when He comes to purge His floor.
The text at the beginning of this paper tells us that, in good and comfortable words. It tells us that Christ shall "gather His wheat into the garner."
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Completed the chapter divisions but could not yet moce the files over to my folder.

But id say that wont hold us back. This project is now ready to go :thumbs: all readers and a dpl are most welcome!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Moving us over to readers wanted :thumbs:
Carolin
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

I'm willing to stay on as DPL if you'd like, Carolin.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thats great! Thank you :D
Carolin
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Carolin,

Just so you know with the original reader and Section 8 I had made the following note. If you'd like, I can edit it and submit it for PL, but of course I couldn't be the one to PL it.
MrsHand wrote: September 15th, 2017, 6:11 am I noticed Secti0n 8 said ready for PL - and tracked down the link.

I listened to the first 5 minutes, and I'm not sure you posted an edited file. I could listen to the entire hour and make notes, but it may be a better use of both our time for you to listen through again and catch things first. :)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i updated the links in the magic window to point to my folder. i had forgotten to move them.

if you would be willing to edit the file, that would really be amazing. i was already wondering what to do with it :) thank you so much kristin!
Carolin
gjaramil

Post by gjaramil »

I would be willing to read Charity if I could :)
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Here's the edited Section 8. It clocks in at 01:01:33

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/practicalreligion_08_ryle_128kb.mp3
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both so much :D
Carolin
gjaramil

Post by gjaramil »

Here is chapter 7.. please lemme know if I made any booboos. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/practicalreligion_9_ryle_128kb.mp3
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you!

can i offer you any more sections?
Carolin
gjaramil

Post by gjaramil »

I can do Zeal one and two if you'd like.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Great :D
Carolin
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Chapter 7 has one PL Note:

repeat at 29:33 - "the more...the more"