[COMPLETE] Practical Religion by John Charles Ryle -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
joelly209

Post by joelly209 »

Practical Religion by J. C. Ryle (1816 - 1900).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/practical-religion-by-j-c-ryle/
The daily duties, experience, dangers and privileges of professing Christians (summary by joelly )
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38162
    See this post on where to split longer chapters: viewtopic.php?p=1486190#p1486190
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    Note that as some long chapters were split into two, the chapter number in the text and the section number in the magic window do not coincide!
    • "Chapter [number (as in the text)] of Practical Religion. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Practical Religion, by J. C. Ryle. Chapter [number, title]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Practical Religion, by J. C. Ryle. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  4. Example filename practicalreligion_##_ryle_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. practicalreligion_01_ryle_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by joelly209 on November 29th, 2016, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless!
-Joel

"A religion that gives nothing, costs nothing, and suffers nothing, is worth nothing." -Martin Luther
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Joelly,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, your MW is ready.

For a solo project, you are the BC, so you will need to log into the MW to fill in the section titles and post the links to your completed sections. You should change the status of the section once you post a link to "ready for PL" and also post in the project thread. Once we get a DPL, your forum post will let the DPL know that there are sections ready for PLing.

First thing to do is create a password for the MW. The MW and the forums are different systems, so changing a password on one side doesn't change the other side. For that reason, some people choose to keep the same password on both systems.

Please start by reading through the BC instructions (including instructions for the first time login) here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ
Now in the wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Jo has also created simplified first-time login instructions (with pictures): New link to updated version as of Sept 6
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

I've filled in a couple of section titles to get you started. For a book like this it is pretty straight forward.

Hope you enjoy your first solo. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm a big JC Ryle fan myself so I'm glad to see some more of his material getting into the catalog. I read Knots Untied. Didn't realize that he intended that, this and Old Paths to form a trilogy of sorts.

MaryAnn
joelly209

Post by joelly209 »

Thank you so much MaryAnn! I've listened to you read a few books... I think either of Ryle or Spurgeon. I do a lot of driving so these Christian audiobooks are like medicine to the soul. I'm very new at this but feel ambitious to make more accessible the rich Christian teachings the Lord has blessed us with. My intent after this book is to start recording puritan works.

Since i'm very new, do you have any words of advice? or links to resources you've used to develop greater skill in your recordings?

Thanks in advance,
Joel
God Bless!
-Joel

"A religion that gives nothing, costs nothing, and suffers nothing, is worth nothing." -Martin Luther
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Joel,

Glad you are starting with Ryle, some of those Puritans can be a tough read! Long sentences with a lot of clauses that make sense on the page, but can be difficult to convey out loud.

My advice is to listen to readers who you like and admire and think about what they are doing that makes the reading enjoyable or clear to you. Then try to incorporate some of those ideas into your own style. I learned a lot about pacing, pausing and enunciation that way. I also tried a few things that didn't work for me. In the end, whatever you do has to work with your voice and personality.

MaryAnn
joelly209

Post by joelly209 »

Thank you MaryAnn!

Quick question, may I change the source text for this reading to https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38162

Can I just do this by editing the above post? Or is there more behind the scenes. The Gutenberg source has a clearer copy of the text.

Thanks!
God Bless!
-Joel

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Joel,

Please do both: change the first post, and tell your MC. The first post template generator has pre-populated the catalog record. I'll need to update the catalog record manually with any changes.

MaryAnn
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

I would love to DPL this project, if no one else is in line to do so!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Kristin!

And with a DPL in place, we will move to going solo.

MaryAnn
joelly209

Post by joelly209 »

MrsHand wrote:I would love to DPL this project, if no one else is in line to do so!
Thank you Kristin! Please be advised, I've changed the source text to https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38162. Should be the same wording, the difference was that Gutenberg had a clearer copy of the text.
Thanks again!
God Bless!
-Joel

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Catalog record updated for new PG source text.
MaryAnn
joelly209

Post by joelly209 »

Thank you MaryAnn!
God Bless!
-Joel

MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

PL NOTES:

Section 0 - needs 5 seconds of silence on the end

Section 1 -
  • repeat at 27:25-30 "greatly depreciated....greatly deprecated"
    repeat at 30:45 "the..."
    Needs 10 seconds of silence on the end.
Just as a general note, for files less than 30 minutes in length, there should be 5 seconds of silence after the "end of..." and for files longer than 30 minutes in length, there should be 10 seconds of silence.

Both sections are well read!
joelly209

Post by joelly209 »

Thank you Kristin!
God Bless!
-Joel

MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Sections 0 & 1 are now PL OK!

PL Notes for Chapter 2:
  • 19:05 thump, throat clear
    23:12 repeat "what shall be said..."
    24:51 repeat "it condemns..."
    56:46 repeat "And Nathaniel..."