COMPLETE Principles of Political Economy, John Stuart Mill-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Principles of Political Economy by John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/principles-of-political-economy-by-john-stuart-mill/

<i>The Principles of Political Economy</i>, first published in 1848, was one of the most important texts on the subject of economy at that time. It is broken up into five books; Production, Distribution, Exchange, Influence of the Progress of Society on Production and Influence of Government.
This text is an abridged version by J. Laurence Laughlin, used as a text book in colleges in America. (Temporary Summary, if someone would like to write a better summary, please do!)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30107
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Note! There are indented comments throughout the text that are not by John Stuart Mill, but by the editor, J. Laurence Laughlin. When you come to those comments, they should start with, "Comment," and at the end be closed with, "End of Comment."

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      [list]
      [*] Project Code: ZVqCjt5p
      [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (John Stuart Mill) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stuart_Mill
      [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principles_of_Political_Economy
      [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 56
      [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      [*]Original publication date (if known): 1848
      [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Business & Economics
    Keywords that describe the book: political philosophy, labor, trade, capital, production, value
    ============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Book # Chapter # (part # where indicated) of Principles of Political Economy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Principles of Political Economy, by John Stuart Mill, abridged by J. Laurence Laughlin. [Section Title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Book # Chapter # (part # where indicated)]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Principles of Political Economy, by John Stuart Mill, abridged by J. Laurence Laughlin. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    principlesofpoliticaleconomy_##_mill_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. principlesofpoliticaleconomy_01_mill_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
[/list]
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Readers Wanted!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Well, I had one reader who had claimed one section of this wildly popular project! If that reader would like to claim that section again, please do so! We had a bit of a problem and we lost a whole month of work on the forum. I'm sure your section will still be there for you! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read sections 4-5-6?

Thanks, Todd
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

ToddHW wrote:May I read sections 4-5-6?

Thanks, Todd

Of course! Thanks Todd!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
losoncy

Post by losoncy »

Hi, could I claim sections 1, 2, and 3? Thank you, Gabi
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

losoncy wrote:Hi, could I claim sections 1, 2, and 3? Thank you, Gabi

Hi Gabi,

Welcome to LibriVox! Sections 1, 2 and 3 are assigned to you, thank you! But, please make sure to do your one minute test first, before you record your sections. It is our way to make sure your settings are where we need them to be, and it will make your life easier if we can check those first. Here is the link with all the instructions for the test. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

What name would you like credited on your catalog page?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am going to have to give up my claims. Family stuff - won't be able to record for a couple months.

Sorry, Todd
losoncy

Post by losoncy »

icequeen wrote:

Hi Gabi,

Welcome to LibriVox! Sections 1, 2 and 3 are assigned to you, thank you! But, please make sure to do your one minute test first, before you record your sections. It is our way to make sure your settings are where we need them to be, and it will make your life easier if we can check those first. Here is the link with all the instructions for the test. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

I'd like to be credited as Gabrielle Losoncy. I'll record my 1 minute test this evening! Thanks for the welcome!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

losoncy wrote:
icequeen wrote:

Hi Gabi,

I'd like to be credited as Gabrielle Losoncy. I'll record my 1 minute test this evening! Thanks for the welcome!

Perfect! You're all set, here is your catalog page. https://librivox.org/reader/11276
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
losoncy

Post by losoncy »

(edit: it looks like I inadvertently erased the HTML for the quote box, so I just deleted it)

Cool! Here's my 1 minute test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_losoncy.mp3 I've posted it over in the Listeners & Editors Wanted board as well.
lezer

Post by lezer »

Could I please read:
- section 29, on credit
- section 49, on taxation
Thanks!
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Ann,
I was trying out the first section to read, and was puzzled by the paragraphs that are in a different setting from the main text (and that often are comments on Mill's text). Only then did I scroll up to the beginning of the text. This is actually an abridged version of Mill's treatise - abridged by and with comments by a certain American, namely J. Laurence Laughlin.
So the "indented" paragraphs are not by Mill himself, but by Laughlin. Laughlin died in 1933, so he is still safe to read for me. But it will be good to put his name at least on the catalog page and the summary, but possibly also in the Librivox disclaimer (but that's your decision of course).
How do you want us to make the distinction in the recording between text that was written by Mill and the comments by Laughlin? Do we state something like "Comment" and "End of Comment"? Of "Laughlin's comment" or something?
It will be important to make the distinction, not only just because Mill didn't write those paragraphs, but also because the comments are really written from a US perspective, while Mill wrote from the UK perspective.
Anna
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

ToddHW wrote:I am going to have to give up my claims. Family stuff - won't be able to record for a couple months.

Sorry, Todd
I just saw this! Not a problem, Todd, thanks for letting me know!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

lezer wrote:Could I please read:
- section 29, on credit
- section 49, on taxation
Thanks!

These sections are yours, thank Anna!

Now, for your questions. I didn't even think about this being an abridged version, so I have made a few changes. J. Laurence has been added as an author, and the PD disclaimer has been added to so that J. Laurence is mentioned. And I have added him onto the temporary project page summary and will add him to the first post when I edit it further. As far as the indented comments, I think that we should say, "Comment," and "End of Comment." That would be the cleanest way to differentiate the comments from Mr Mill's text. Thank you for pointing this out, this will make those comments more meaningful, much less confusing. :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!