[Complete] Under Fire by Henri Barbusse - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Under Fire: The Story of a Squad by Henri Barbusse (1873 - 1935). Translated by William Fitzwater Wray (circa 1870 - 1938)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/under-fire-the-story-of-a-squad-by-henri-barbusse/
An English translation of the French World War I novel "Le Feu", written by a French soldier and dedicated to "the memory of the comrades who fell by my side at Crony and on Hill 119." Barbusse was invalided out of the army after 17 months in 1915, and given a clerical job, during which time he penned this work. He was greatly influenced by the Russian Revolution and joined the communist party. ( Lynne Thompson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4380
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Henri Barbusse) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Barbusse
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Fire_(Henri_Barbusse_novel)
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 24
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1916
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: War & Military Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: World War I, war, France, Army, military campaign

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Under Fire: The Story of a Squad. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Under Fire: The Story of a Squad, by Henri Barbusse. Translated by William Fitzwater Wray [Chapter #, Chapter name, (Part #)]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter #, (Part #)]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Under Fire: The Story of a Squad, by Henri Barbusse. Translated by William Fitzwater Wray"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    underfirethestoryofasquad_##_barbusse_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. underfirethestoryofasquad_01_barbusse_128kb.mp3)

Please note Section number is not always the same as chapter number. Please use section number in the file name.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow! I am so glad you started this. I was waiting for years to see this started. Sorry I cannot commit to help, but I wanted to give my good wishes.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Lynne,
If you will have me, this would round out my very eclectic list of DPL projects.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

linny wrote:Hi Lynne,
If you will have me, this would round out my very eclectic list of DPL projects.
You've got it!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Well, if this is where all the popular crowd is hanging out - I'd better read the first chapter for you! :lol:

(I'm pretty heavily committed to the clean up month, but I may be able to claim more later on.)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Elizabby wrote:Well, if this is where all the popular crowd is hanging out - I'd better read the first chapter for you! :lol:

(I'm pretty heavily committed to the clean up month, but I may be able to claim more later on.)
I'll sign you up, but I would agree with your priorities :D
Rubenwhitter

Post by Rubenwhitter »

A very captivating read! I would love to take the Argoval chapter. :)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Rubenwhitter wrote:A very captivating read! I would love to take the Argoval chapter. :)
Welcome to Librivox! I have assigned you section 11 but please wait until you get the OK on your test before recording.
All the information you need is in the first post, but if you have questions, please ask.
Lynne
jesuisravi

Post by jesuisravi »

I am new to the forum. I would like to read a part of the Barbusse book. I have tried to claim a section--#2--but apparently something went wrong. I clicked on MC under the list of available sections for this project, was taken to a login box, tried to login, but was refused. Can you advise me how to claim this section--or another if it is taken.

I have not yet made the 1 minute test file. I am in the process of doing that, but I think I need to have some sort of claim registered first so that I can choose an MC from a drop down menu?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jesuisravi wrote:I am new to the forum. I would like to read a part of the Barbusse book. I have tried to claim a section--#2--but apparently something went wrong. I clicked on MC under the list of available sections for this project, was taken to a login box, tried to login, but was refused. Can you advise me how to claim this section--or another if it is taken.

I have not yet made the 1 minute test file. I am in the process of doing that, but I think I need to have some sort of claim registered first so that I can choose an MC from a drop down menu?
Welcome to Librivox!

The system doesn't work quite like that. You claim a section by posting in the thread (here) that you would like to read section #.
Each project has a Book Coordinator (BC) who is basically the organizer of the project. He or she will add your claim to the Magic Window (MW) and keeps on top of things (in a perfect world) - chasing you up if you don't follow up or adding your file to the Magic Window. As a reader, it is informational only. In this project, I am the BC. BCs are members who have been here a while and want to take on some extra responsibility.
Hopefully each project will have a Dedicated Proof Listener (DPL), who also has access to the MW. He or she listens to all the files submitted for stumbles and repeats (we all have them but we're meant to edit them out... sometimes we miss a couple). Some people just proof listen; others record sometimes, proof-listen others. The only thing is, you can't proof-listen your own recordings. Our DPL here is linny (you can see her name at the top of the MW).
The Meta Coordinator (MC) is an administrator. That is by invitation only and there are only a few. The MC's job is to actually create the project (based on information provided by the BC) and when everything is recorded, take it from Librivox and put it on Archive.org (and make it available to the listening public). We also try to sort out a variety of technical issues and are involved in policy decisions. MC's set their own workload, but have between 3 and 50 projects they oversee. I am MC on this project (yes, I wear two hats).
It will all become clear in time.

As for the test, here are the instructions http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=one+minute+test
When you are ready to upload, go all the way to the bottom of the list of MC's and choose "tests". You then upload and copy the link (URL) and paste it into a new post in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum (the drop down is at the bottom of the page on most pages at Librivox.) You should also mention what equipment you are using and whether you are using Audacity or some other program. Use a catchy title like "One Minute Test" and someone will listen and give you feedback. We're not checking you can read, just that you've set up everything to Librivox standards. If not, they'll work with you to fix things.

Once you have the OK on that, you are ready to claim a section. You will need to be in the catalog. I will add you using your forum name, but if you wish to use your real name, just let me (or any MC) know, and we can change it - but your recordings will be listed under the name you had at the time. I will also assign chapter 2 to you, but please don't record until you have the OK on your test.

Any other questions, just ask.
Lynne

Edited to add: Section 2 is over 6,000 words long. That will be 30+ minutes of final file time, and probably 2 or 3 hours of recording/editing time. You are free to claim anything you wish to read, but for a first recording, I would recommend something more modest - maybe 1,000 - 1,500 words long.
jesuisravi

Post by jesuisravi »

Thanks for this detailed reply. I'm sure I'll be referring to it often for a while. I will take your advice and try something shorter--maybe there is something available in this project.

I am going to work on the test now and see if I can line things up so that it is uploaded immediately or within a day of its recording.
Thanks again.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jesuisravi wrote:Thanks for this detailed reply. I'm sure I'll be referring to it often for a while. I will take your advice and try something shorter--maybe there is something available in this project.

I am going to work on the test now and see if I can line things up so that it is uploaded immediately or within a day of its recording.
Thanks again.
Chapters 15 and 17 are both under 1000 words and there are a couple of others around 1500. I made a note of the word counts in the notes column.
jesuisravi

Post by jesuisravi »

Lynnet wrote: Chapters 15 and 17 are both under 1000 words and there are a couple of others around 1500. I made a note of the word counts in the notes column.
Lynette: Chapter 15 will be fine.

I have been having a problem getting to the uploader page. The link takes me to a login box wherein I type my username and password and get refused entrance. I have gone through this process three times now. Do you have any idea how I can get to the uploader?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jesuisravi wrote:
Lynnet wrote: Chapters 15 and 17 are both under 1000 words and there are a couple of others around 1500. I made a note of the word counts in the notes column.
Lynette: Chapter 15 will be fine.

I have been having a problem getting to the uploader page. The link takes me to a login box wherein I type my username and password and get refused entrance. I have gone through this process three times now. Do you have any idea how I can get to the uploader?
Try the "forgot password" option.
jesuisravi

Post by jesuisravi »

Lynnet: Here is the url of my one minute test.

http://lobrivox.org/uploads/lynnet/firsttest.mp3

I will wait until I know if this checks out before I try to record the bit I've been assigned.