COMPLETE[Group] The Mummy and Miss Nitocris by G. C. Griffith -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Myth

Post by Myth »

The Mummy and Miss Nitocris: A Phantasy of the Fourth Dimension by George Chetwynd Griffith (1857 - 1906).
Certain it should be that, beyond and about this World of Length, and Breadth, and Thickness, there is another World, or State of Existence, consisting of these and another dimension of which only those beings who are privileged to enter or dwell in it can have any conception. Now, if this postulate be granted, it follows that a dweller in this State would be freed from those conditions of Time and Space which bind those beings who are confined within the limits of Tri-Dimensional Space, or Existence. For example, he would be able to make himself visible or invisible to us at will by entering into or withdrawing himself from this State, and returning into that of Four Dimensions, whither our eyes could not follow him—even though he might be close to us in our sense of nearness. Moreover, he could be in two or more places at once, and cause two bodies to occupy the same space—which to us is inconceivable. Stranger still, he might be both alive and dead at the same time—since Past, Present, and Future would be all one to him; the world without beginning or end ...—From the "Geometrical Possibilities," of Abd'el Kasir, of Cordoba, circa. 1050 A.D. ( from the Forward)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-mummy-and-miss-nitocris-a-phantasy-of-the-fourth-dimension-by-george-griffith/

This is an abandoned solo. Please help complete it.
alg1001 is the new BC for it.
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19231
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "Chapter [number] of The Mummy and Miss Nitocris. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Mummy and Miss Nitocris: A Phantasy of the Fourth Dimension by George Chetwynd Griffith. [Chapter Title]"

END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter #]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Mummy and Miss Nitocris: A Phantasy of the Fourth Dimension by George Chetwynd Griffith. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
    7. Example filename mummyandmissnitocris_##_griffith_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. mummyandmissnitocris_01_griffith_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Myth
Perseverance Furthers.

My Librivox Reader Page
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Myth,

I'll MC this for you. Be back with more info shortly.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

Please also note I have shortened the suggested into filenames and added the _128kb. For your next project, just enter the title in the title field on the project template. That keeps extra stuff from showing up everywhere the title goes in the template. :)

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
Myth

Post by Myth »

Thank you so much Jo.

I look forward to working with you. Hopefully I won't have too many questions or mess it up to bad.

Wow, you been doing a, lot of reading. Amazing!
Myth
Perseverance Furthers.

My Librivox Reader Page
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hello, Myth
This story is intriguing. I would be happy to proof listen if you still need a DPL.
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Myth

Post by Myth »

Curious Jo. can I call you Jo?

Is there and easy way to get word count by chapter, I've filled in the chapter headings.
Myth
Perseverance Furthers.

My Librivox Reader Page
Myth

Post by Myth »

That be great, hopefully my reading will not be intolerable.

Jo, Amy is there something I need to do, to make Amy and DPL?

And thank you again Amy..
Myth
Perseverance Furthers.

My Librivox Reader Page
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes, Jo is fine. I'll add Amy as DPL. That's an MC job. :)

You really don't need word counts for a solo. They are used in group projects to give prospective readers a rough idea of how long the sections are before claiming.

However, for future reference there are a couple of easy ways to do the word counts. I use an add-in for Firefox called Word Count and count words in whatever text you highlight. For Gutenberg texts, one of our members has written an online app that will do the entire book for you, as long as there are clearly labelled chapters. It's posted somewhere in the suggestions forum. I'll post a link if I can find it.

OK found it viewtopic.php?f=24&t=55795

And here is the Word Count tool for Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/word-count-tool/

It will tell you it isn't compatible with the latest versions of Firefox, but it still works. It's just not as easy to see the word count as it used to be without the status bar.
Jo
Myth

Post by Myth »

Thank you Jo!
Myth
Perseverance Furthers.

My Librivox Reader Page
Myth

Post by Myth »

Ok here we go, chapter one.

Critiques welcome, I find it hard to critique my own narration, I found chapter one passable. :) Though I told I'm too hard on myself.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/mummyandmissnitocris_001_griffith_128kb.mp3 21:24
Myth
Perseverance Furthers.

My Librivox Reader Page
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi James,
Your voice is very easy to listen to. There are a few things that the file needs. It is best not to have extraneous noises in the recording. There are two spots where it sounds like clicks of the mouse at 5:31 and 21:08. These should be removed and replaced with silence. It needs five seconds of silence at the end of the recording. Lastly, it is on the quiet side. An amplification of 1.5 would bring it up to 89. The filename only needs two digits. Please update the file and submit it again when you have a chance.
I look forward to hearing what happens next.
Thanks,
Amy :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Myth

Post by Myth »

Thank you very much. Keep the feedback coming.

I used the leveler effect to increase volume, it was suggest elsewhere to avoid clipping. I didn't really hear clicks, but I removed some blips in the time line at those sections, so I hope I got them.

Here is my updated file
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/mummyandmissnitocris_01_griffith_128kb.mp3 21.29
Myth
Perseverance Furthers.

My Librivox Reader Page
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

It is PL OK now. :thumbs:
Thanks!
Amy
Myth

Post by Myth »

Myth
Perseverance Furthers.

My Librivox Reader Page
Myth

Post by Myth »

I had some downtime this morning and was sucked in by the story.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/mummyandmissnitocris_03_griffith_128kb.mp3 15:08
Myth
Perseverance Furthers.

My Librivox Reader Page