[Complete] The Wanderer's Necklace by H. Rider Haggard -lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

The Wanderer's Necklace by H. Rider Haggard (1856 - 1925).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-wanderers-necklace-by-h-rider-haggard/

The Wanderer’s Necklace is classic Haggard, filled with adventure, intrigue, and steadfastness in the face of overwhelming obstacles. “The Editor" recalls his past life as Olaf, an 8th century Norseman. Olaf opens the ancient tomb of the Wanderer and discovers a sword and half a necklace on the warrior’s crumbling skeleton. Olaf must find the other half of the necklace, and the woman who wears it. Love, betrayal, a clash with Norse god Odin, and the attentions of toxic Byzantine Empress Irene test Olaf to his limits (Tom Penn )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3097
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (H. Rider Haggard) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Rider_Haggard
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wanderer's_Necklace
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 21
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1914
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Book 1 Chapter 1 of The Wanderer's Necklace. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Wanderer's Necklace, by H. Rider Haggard."

For the second and all subsequent sections use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Book [number] Chapter [number] of The Wanderer's Necklace by H. Rider Haggard. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of Book [number] Chapter [number]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Wanderer's Necklace, by H. Rider Haggard. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename wanderersnecklace_##_haggard_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. wanderersnecklace_01_haggard_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: H. Rider Haggard
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Wanderer's Necklace

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by Penumbra on December 12th, 2017, 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Penn
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Lynne: Annyiee is going to record this book. I will be BC and DPL.

I decided to include the dedication and editor's note in section 1 so there are no extra sections, just one per chapter. The longest chapter is some 7000 words so none is too long to need to be broken into multiple sections.

One of us will come up with a summary eventually.

Thank you for your help. :thumbs:
Tom Penn
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

This is all set up for you.
I have entered you both as BCs so you will both have access to the MW...
But Annyiee, in order to access the Magic Window, there are some steps you need to follow. You will only need to do this once. Just let me know if you want instructions on doing that as it is usual for the soloist to act as their own BC.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Lynne
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Annyiee: Please note that the intro for the first section is what you are used to but the intros for the rest of the sections is different (shorter).

I would like to fold the dedication and editor's note into the first section, so for that section:
  • Read first section intro
    Read dedication
    Read editor's note
    Say "Book 1, Aar. Chapter 1, the betrothal of Olaf."
    Read chapter 1.
    Read outro.
Tom Penn
Annyiee

Post by Annyiee »

Thank you both so very much for doing the hard part! I will eventually get with the program (next time) but for this one I'll follow your instructions and maybe some of the greenhorn will fall away.

Thanks again/Annyiee
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Moved to Going Solo.
Annyiee

Post by Annyiee »

Hi Tom and Lynnet

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/wan ... _128kb.mp3 27m33

Geez, I hope I've done this right, I did get a BC Admin password and added url for chapter 1. I do have Book 1 ready but am pretty unsure if I've done something horribly wrong or not and will wait to hear from you before I go adding anything more, or should I leave it alone ? Didn't see where to add length of recording so am adding all here.

I did add Dedication and Editors Note to beginning and read as the text had it. Im sure you'll let me know what needs to change!

Thanks for your patience/Annyiee
Annyiee

Post by Annyiee »

I've just realized the time would go in the notes section??

Annyiee
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Everything looks good :thumbs:

Now Tom has set up the project, that is all you need to do as a BC... just keep adding chapters. Soon, you'll wonder what was so difficult 8-) And next time, you can try setting one up... any MC will guide you through the process if needed (we do it a lot, so no shame is asking).

Lynne
Annyiee

Post by Annyiee »

:clap: What a relief!!

Thanks for the support Lynne, you and Tom have made this so positive. I agree, once you know how to do something you wonder what the problem was.

You're stellar teachers (and hand holders......). Thanks again/Annyiee
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Section 1 is PL OK! :clap:

Well read, and flawless! Thank you.

It looks like sections 2 through 6 are ready for PL. Is that right?
Tom Penn
Annyiee

Post by Annyiee »

Thanks Tom, they're all ready but I couldn't figure out how I got the "ready for PL" on the first one and not the rest....
I was very excited that I got them on at all! What did I miss on the rest to get that to come up? If I need to redo let me know because they are ready.

I'll start on Book ll tomorrow, my Christmas activity plan!

Hope you have a fine holiday season (Im trying to picture a GREEN Christmas!)

Thanks again Tom/Annyiee
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

To set the status (assigned, ready for PL, etc) on a section in the MW you click on the status, which will take you to a drop down that gives you the various choices, and you pick the one you want. For this project, when you enter a new section in the MW you pick ready for PL. When I proof listen I update the status to PL OK if all is well, or See PL Notes if there was a problem.

Christmas is really more brown than green here except for the evergreens. We actually had a light dusting of snow one evening about a week ago--last snow fall was 10 or 15 years ago. Of course it was all gone by noon, but it was a real treat while it lasted.
Tom Penn
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Section 2 is PL OK! :clap:
Section 3 is PL OK! :clap:

Well done!
Tom Penn
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Section 4 is PL OK! :clap:

Section 5, one item:
17:00 to 17:06 repeated phrase "for as the fray went on"