[COMPLETE]A Cruising Voyage Around the World/W Rogers - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Retswerb

Post by Retswerb »

Hi there,

I'll claim section 8 if I may. There's a helpful footnote on the first page defining the word "flaws" in this context -- is there an agreed-upon format for reading footnotes?
carteki

Post by carteki »

pnagami wrote:Hi Kim,

Here is Section 6:

1:02:56

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/cruisingvoyage_06_rogers_128kb.mp3

My best,

Pam
Wow, that was quick! No volunteers for DPL as yet, but I'll try to get to it in the course of the next week.
carteki

Post by carteki »

Retswerb wrote:Hi there,

I'll claim section 8 if I may. There's a helpful footnote on the first page defining the word "flaws" in this context -- is there an agreed-upon format for reading footnotes?
Hi,
Yes you can have section 8.
For the footnote you can read it at the end of the relevant sentence. Saying "Footnote" at the start and "end of Footnote" before continuing with the text.

I see you're an aeroplane mechanic - I'm also looking for readers to complete "Flying for France". See my signature for the link.
Thanks
Retswerb

Post by Retswerb »

Thanks Kim!

As for Flying for France, well... I saw that one but the idea of French place names scared me. :oops: Maybe once I finish this one I'll take a look.
carteki

Post by carteki »

SamuiSam has kindly volunteered to DPL :clap:
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Excellent, SamuiSam! Welcome on board :) You should have access to the MW now. Let me know if you need information about how to log into the magic window for the first time, or anything else :thumbs:
Kathrine
SamuiSam

Post by SamuiSam »

Section 6 of: A Cruising Voyage Around the World

Overall I thought the reading was good. I did read the text as it was being read, I know this was a standard PL but I usually follow the text anyway as I find it easier that way.

I did notice a couple of minor issues but in the overall scheme of things the reading is fine.

09:51 text reads 'scarce' reader says scarcely.

09:55 text reads '...they send before-hand reader says '..they send before they land'

17:48 tiny hesitation possibly in editing

41:33 tiny hesitation possibly in editing

41:42 tiny hesitation possibly in editing

Thanks

David
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, Dave!

Will fix and re-upload.

My best,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Dave and Kim,

Here is Section 6 with the 5 suggested edits for Spot PL:

01:02:54

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/cruisingvoyage_06_rogers_128kb.mp3

Thanks!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
andrewdenehelbig

Post by andrewdenehelbig »

Hi, I'm Andrew I'm new to LibrVox.

I'd like to volunteer for a chapter for this project. I wouldn't mind taking section 2, or any other section if there's one that would be better for a beginner to take. I've done lots of voice recording, but nothing as long as a whole chapter for a book.

Andrew
carteki

Post by carteki »

andrewdenehelbig wrote:Hi, I'm Andrew I'm new to LibrVox.

I'd like to volunteer for a chapter for this project. I wouldn't mind taking section 2, or any other section if there's one that would be better for a beginner to take. I've done lots of voice recording, but nothing as long as a whole chapter for a book.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Welcome to Librivox. Nice to have you here and thank you for your eagerness to contribute to my project.
Please can you complete your 1-minute test and get that signed off. This is just to check that you have the correct technical settings etc.
Once that is done ...
Would you be happy with s20? It is approx 5,700 words which is half the length of s2. This will be about 40 mins long - estimated 5 hours recording time?
Thanks
Kim
JimRowland

Post by JimRowland »

Hi. Here is section #1.https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/cruisingvoyage_01_rogers_128kb.mp3

The length of the piece is 53:59. Whew.

This section was larger than anything that I have attempted before. I'm relatively certain that there are a couple of issues, but taken as a whole, I'm pleased with it.
Sorry for the delay. Have a great day and, as always, thanks for the opportunity to record.

Jim
SamuiSam

Post by SamuiSam »

Hi:
I just finished the spot PL of Section 6 read by pnagami. excellent reading. No issues heard.

I also listened to the Introduction Section 1 by Jim Rowland. Overall pretty good, a couple of issues however.

On the file I downloaded I do not have the introduction, the one that says "This is a Librivox recording" etc. I don't know if it was missed or...... anyway its not on my file!

06:41 text reads '...recently been passed by Parliament which MARKS a...' reader says '...which MAKES a...' This changes the context of the paragraph. Page ix in the text page 14 in the PDF

23:44 Text reads '...latitude 61 53', or sixty one degrees fifty three SECONDS, reader says sixty one degrees fifty three FEET.

25:40 the word reconnoiter is mispronounced. Dictionary notes reke noider (tough word at the best of times)

29:38 minor word stumble (not a major issue)

29:44 mispronunciation of the word minute

37:48 minor word stumble (not a major issue)

42:07 text reads '...having our rigging shattered very much' Reader seems to stumble over the word rigging. (Not a major issue)

51:37 text reads '...was EPOCH making' reader says 'was EPIC making' This changes the context of the paragraph.

53:54 reader says 'End of section 1.' I'm wondering if more needs to be said like 'End of section 1 of the introduction blah, blah,.....' of if this is a 'marker' put in the file for reference.

Good job on a long reading

David
carteki

Post by carteki »

Thank you David, Jim and Pam.

Jim, please can you fix the following:
SamuiSam wrote: On the file I downloaded I do not have the introduction, the one that says "This is a Librivox recording" etc. I don't know if it was missed or...... anyway its not on my file!
06:41 text reads '...recently been passed by Parliament which MARKS a...' reader says '...which MAKES a...' This changes the context of the paragraph. Page ix in the text page 14 in the PDF
23:44 Text reads '...latitude 61 53', or sixty one degrees fifty three SECONDS, reader says sixty one degrees fifty three FEET.
51:37 text reads '...was EPOCH making' reader says 'was EPIC making' This changes the context of the paragraph.
Jim, the others are your choice whether or not to correct:
25:40 the word reconnoiter is mispronounced. Dictionary notes reke noider (tough word at the best of times)
29:38 minor word stumble (not a major issue)
29:44 mispronunciation of the word minute
37:48 minor word stumble (not a major issue)
42:07 text reads '...having our rigging shattered very much' Reader seems to stumble over the word rigging. (Not a major issue)
David, the reader has given the correct "outro". The "intro and outro" are defined just below the magic window.
53:54 reader says 'End of section 1.' I'm wondering if more needs to be said like 'End of section 1 of the introduction blah, blah,.....' of if this is a 'marker' put in the file for reference.

Good job on a long reading

David
Please post below if you need anymore clarification.

Kim
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Many thanks to David for his conscientious PL work on my section. Great to have you aboard here at Librivox! And thanks to Kim.

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson