[COMPLETE] Work and Win; Noddy Newman Takes A Cruise -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

Work and Win; Noddy Newman on a Cruise by Oliver Optic (1822 - 1897).

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/work-and-win-noddy-newman-on-a-cruise-by-oliver-optic/

The fourth book of the Woodville Series shares the progress of a boy whose education had been neglected, and whose moral attributes were of the lowest order, from vice and indifference to the development of a high moral and religious principle in the heart, which is the rule and guide of a pure and true life. The incidents which make up the story are introduced to illustrate the moral status of the youth, at the beginning, and to develop the influences from which proceeded a gentle and Christian character. Mollie, the captain's daughter, whose simple purity of life, whose filial devotion to an erring parent, and whose trusting faith in the hour of adversity, won the love and respect of Noddy, was not the least of these influences. The fifth book in the series is Hope and Have; or, Fanny Grant Among the Indians. ( Scarlett Martin from Book Preface)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23758
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Work and Win; Noddy Newman on a Cruise. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Work and Win; Noddy Newman on a Cruise, by Oliver Optic. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Work and Win; Noddy Newman on a Cruise by Oliver Optic. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Work and Win; Noddy Newman on a Cruise, by Oliver Optic. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename workandwin_##_optic_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. workandwin_01_optic_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags (will be added at time of cataloging, so you don't have to add them to each file)
    Artist: Oliver Optic
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Work and Win; Noddy Newman on a Cruise

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello Scarlett,
I can be your MC for this project. I'll be right back with a MW.
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello Scarlett,
The MW is set-up for you - I see you've done multiple solo's already so you will be familiar with everything, right? Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

A few questions or suggestions:
- You ask for special PL. What did you have in mind? It would be good for potential DPL-ers to know that before they sign on.
- As for the genres, I've removed the 2 genres on "historical fiction" - that category is used for books with stories that take place in a time historic to when they were written, I believe that this story is contemporary to when it was written. I've left the other 3 genres.
- I've also put in a suggestion for a shorter mp3 title; and changed the requirement of seconds at end of recording: you can follow the new guideline of just 5 seconds at the end of every recording, even when it is more than 30 min long.
- Just a tip for future projects: for the Gutenberg etext link, it is always best to use the central book link, this is the most unchangeable link, and offers people a choice of ways to access the book. I've already updated the link in this project.

Have fun recording!
Anna
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

"Special PL" to me means not only making sure I'm reading the right words, background noise, and pronunciation, but also adding in any places where there is room for improvement. If my reading sounds jumbled or flat or monotone or too fast... those kinds of suggestions are appreciated. I certainly want my reading to be as good as possible. Linny is often my DPL. I'm not sure if others have worked with her, but that might give some idea as to what I'm looking for. I guess basically I want the DPL to feel free to offer advice and suggestions in any way the reading can be improved.

Hope that helps!! Hopefully I'll start reading tomorrow! Thanks
Scarlett
lezer

Post by lezer »

OK, that's fine, I think that description will be pretty clear for potential DPL-ers - just to be sure: does that include "word-perfect" for you? That will be good for the DPL to know.
Anna
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

No, I'm not worried about it being word perfect as long as it sounds right.
lezer

Post by lezer »

OK, that sounds clear, and I think we'll find someone - most PL-ers are happy to also help out with feedback. Let's move the project to "Going Solo", and as soon as you have a first section ready, we'll post an 'advert' in the "Listeners Wanted" thread.
Anna
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

Preface & chapters 1 & 2 are up!!
lezer

Post by lezer »

Great - I posted in the Listeners Wanted forum to find a proof-listener. Feel free to continue in the meantime.
Anna
linny

Post by linny »

I thought I would drop by and describe what we have done for special PL on your other projects. It might be helpful to list the special requirements in the first post.
Special PL: Please follow along with the text to identify word changes impacting intent. Also note pronunciation or performance issues which catch the ear
If I find extra time I'll help out until you find a DPL. Have a great project and I look forward to DPLing for you again after Summer. :D

I'm already looking forward to school starting. Life seems much too busy without that rhythm. Lol
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

I shall add those Special PL instructions if you're ever busy again in the future.... I wasn't sure how to describe the "magic" you do!!

Thanks for any help you can offer. I appreciate it! Poor Noddy!!! I know he's going to learn his lessons in the end, but it is hard to watch them go through trouble at the time. And Fanny!!! :evil:

:-)
ianwoj

Post by ianwoj »

Hi, this is my first time proof-listening! Here's some feedback for your first few recordings :)

Preface
Intro disclaimer OK, background noise OK, volume OK, closing OK
0:22 - The way you pronounced "delineate" caught my ear; it took me a second to understand what you meant.
1:43 - The text reads "Woodville Stories", but I heard "Woodville Series." It doesn't really change the meaning, but it's sort of a proper noun (?) so I thought it important to note.

Chapter 1
Intro disclaimer OK, background noise OK, volume OK, closing OK
A few minor word changes but nothing that changes the meaning or distracts from the text.

Chapter 2
The intro disclaimer is a hybrid of the two alternatives on the beginning of each file. If the first longer version, it's missing the "For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org". If the shortened version, it's missing the name of the author.
Background noise OK, volume OK, closing OK
3:57-4:00 - There's a bit of feedback from the microphone here.
8:32 - There's a two second pause mid-sentence here.
A few minor word changes but nothing that changes the meaning or distracts from the text.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Anna, I think, I'm willing to be your dedicated proof listener. My name is Jim Locke.
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

Thank you both for your willingness to help.

I made changes to the preface & reuploaded for 2nd check. The only correction I made for chapter 2 was taking out the 2 second pause. The intro may be hybrid from time to time and since the background noise was minor, I left it, but thanks!! Those are definitely the type of checks I need to do!!

Chapters 1 & 2 are PL OK since the silence was the correction I made for chapter 2.

THANKS!! :lol:
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Sorry, Anna. My note to you about being the DPL for your project was unclear because it was your name I was unsure about, not my willingness to be the DPL, just to clarify. Jim
I see now it is Scarlet.