COMPLETE First Chapter Collection 004 - maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

First Chapter Collection 004 by Various ( - ).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/first-chapter-collection-004/
Librivox First Chapter Collection 004 - a collection of the first chapters of 15 different books, chosen by Librivox volunteers.
This volume includes the first chapters of books by authors such as Charles Dickens, R. D. Blackmore, and Frances Hodgson Burnett, as well as a Spanish translation of The Scarlet Letter, the Code Napoleon, and much more! (Summary by Rachel)
  • This collection is for favorite first chapters of any book in the public domain. Chapters longer than 60 minutes should be divided into multiple sections. You are welcome to contribute as many as you wish, whether or not they have already been recorded for Librivox by others. There is no need to "sign-up" before recording as long as the work is clearly in the public domain. Please post here if you are unsure about public domain status. After 15 recordings are submitted, we will prooflisten, catalog and make them available to the public.

To see what has been included in previous collections, have a look here:
    https://librivox.org/first-chapter-collection-001/
    https://librivox.org/first-chapter-collection-002-by-various/
    https://librivox.org/first-chapter-collection-003/
  • Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "[Title of Work, Chapter 1], [Chapter title if applicable] by [Author Name]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

OR if you are reading in another language, please feel free to say the disclaimer in that language. You can find them on this page in the Wiki
  • END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Title of Work, Chapter 1], [Chapter title if applicable] by [Author Name]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Put file name all in lowercase, and the title all in one word (no leading articles i.e. the, a, an, and NO SPACES):
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    firstchapter004_shorttitleinoneword_authorsurname_yourinitials_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. firstchapter004_janeeyre_bronte_al_128kb.mp3)
  • Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  • Along with the link the uploader gives you, please post the following information in this thread:
    • • Name of book and chapter title if applicable
      • Author (birth year - death year)
      • Translator if applicable (birth year - death year)
      • Source from which you read (i.e. Gutenberg etext url)
      • Length in minutes and size in MB of your file
      • Language
      • If this is your first Librivox recording, I will also need your name as you would like it to appear on the catalogue page and the URL of your homepage if you have one and would like it linked to your name on the catalogue page.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

• Project Code: DATf0j4K
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Various) : n/a
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known):
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction; *Non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: collection, first chapter

============================================
  • Any questions? Please post below.
    Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
Last edited by SweetPea on August 16th, 2015, 8:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'll contribute the Prologue from "For the Term of His Natural Life" by Marcus Clarke:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3424

I'll put the link here so I can find it again! Do you want a description of the book as well?
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Sounds good! The prologue is the beginning of the story, so I think that fits perfectly :thumbs:
I don't need a description of the book. :)

And if you get around to recording before MaryAnn puts up the MW, just upload to her folder, she said that's okay.

Thank you!
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

How does it go? Do I claim a first chapter? I want to pluck up my carriage and record the hilerious first chapter of "PRide And Prejudice" as my first recording.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

miss stav wrote:How does it go? Do I claim a first chapter? I want to pluck up my carriage and record the hilerious first chapter of "PRide And Prejudice" as my first recording.
Brilliant choice! Just remember to record the intro and outro bits:

"Pride and Prejudice, Chapter 1, by Jane Austen. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

And then at the end say "End of Chapter 1 of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen" and leave 5 seconds of silence after. There are no section numbers in this project.

You are also supposed to link the text and author's birth and death dates, but I can post those for you if you like.

Yay for your first recording! :clap:
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

What a joy! I am planning to have so much fun trying to act it. )xmile(. Thank you for the opertunity.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Here is my selection:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/firstchapter004_cradocknowell1_blackmore_lt_128kb.mp3

Cradock Nowell - A Tale of the New Forest (Vol. 1)

R.D.Blackmore (1825-1900)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47084

15:39
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

miss stav wrote:How does it go? Do I claim a first chapter? I want to pluck up my carriage and record the hilerious first chapter of "PRide And Prejudice" as my first recording.
Yes, please, I'd love to have you contribute! (clap)
You might want to do your one-minute test first, just to make sure your technical settings are okay, but as you've been proof listening for years I think it's your call (smile)

Thank you!
Rachel

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Lynnet wrote:Here is my selection:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/firstchapter004_cradocknowell1_blackmore_lt_128kb.mp3

Cradock Nowell - A Tale of the New Forest (Vol. 1)

R.D.Blackmore (1825-1900)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47084

15:39
Thanks! I'll add it to the MW when we get one.
Rachel

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

And the MW is up!
MaryAnn
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I'd like to read chapter 1 of the 1st volume of "Celebrated Travels and Travellers" by Jules Verne
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24777 (the funny bit is I've taken part in the recording of all the 3 volumes, it's just that I didn't get to read the very first chapter :lol: Now's my chance 8-) ).

Title of the chapter: CELEBRATED TRAVELLERS BEFORE THE CHRISTIAN ERA.

And hooray for Stav :clap:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Yay, thanks MaryAnn!

Sounds great, Piotr!
Rachel

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving over to readers wanted. Rachel thought we might start in "books" this time around, so here we are!

MaryAnn
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

:D Thanks!
Rachel

kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

May I DPL? :D
Kathrine