[GROUP] The Convivio by Dante Alighieri-leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary » April 19th, 2014, 3:19 pm

This project is complete. All associated files can be found on the catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-convivio-by-dante-alighieri/

The Convivio by Dante Alighieri (1265 - 1321). Translated by Philip H. Wicksteed (1844 - 1927)

NOTE: This project is part of Dante at 750: An Audio Collection, which aims to get the complete works of Dante into the catalog by the end of 2015. For more information and updates on the other projects involved, check out the blog: http://danteat750audio.wordpress.com/
or this forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51650
Convivio (The Banquet) is a work written by Dante Alighieri roughly between 1304 and 1307. This unfinished work of Dante consists of four trattati, or "books": a prefatory one, plus three books that each include a canzone (long lyrical poem) and a prose allegorical interpretation or commentary of the poem that goes off in multiple thematic directions.

The Convivio is a kind of vernacular encyclopedia of the knowledge of Dante's time; it touches on many areas of learning, not only philosophy but also politics, linguistics, science, and history. The treatise begins with the prefatory book, or proem, which explains why a book like the Convivio is needed and why Dante is writing it in the vernacular instead of Latin. It is one of Dante's early defenses of the vernacular, expressed in greater detail in his (slightly earlier) linguistic treatise De vulgari eloquentia (On Eloquence in the Vernacular). Books 2 and 3 form a unit, both focusing on Dante's new love after the death of Beatrice—his love for Lady Philosophy, "the most beautiful and dignified daughter of the Emperor of the universe," as he calls her. Book 2 discusses allegory and Lady Philosophy (in connection with the canzone Voi che ’ntendendo il terzo ciel movete [You who move the third heaven with an act of the intellect], which opens the book), and also brings such subjects as astronomy, angelology, and the soul's immortality. Book 3 is a hymn of praise for philosophy, launched by an allegorical interpretation of Dante's great canzone Amor che ne la mente mi ragiona (Love, who speaks to me in my mind). In this book, Dante asserts that true philosophy cannot arise from any ulterior motives, such as prestige or money—it is only possible when the seeker has a love of wisdom for its own sake. Book 4 is by far the longest of the Convivio, and is noticeably distinct from the two books that precede it. The subject of book 4 is the nature of nobility. It opens with the longest canzone of the Convivio, Le dolci rime d’amor (Those sweet poems of love), which is explicitly about gentilezza or nobility, as well as a condemnation of avarice, asserting that reason and the spirit of acquisition are mutually incompatible. The first half of book 4's thirty chapters are dedicated to debunking the false idea of nobility as an inherited trait, one restricted to the aristocracy, while the final fifteen chapters delineate what true nobility consists of—the perfection of a thing according to its nature—and how nobility manifests in people at various stages of life. The Convivio, in its autobiographical passages and in the trajectories of its lines of thought, gives us a rich portrait of Dante himself, of great importance for an understanding of his work as a whole, especially the Divine Comedy. ( Wikipedia)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/convivioofdantea00dantiala
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Convivio. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Convivio, by Dante Alighieri. Translated by Philip H. Wicksteed [Section title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Convivio, by Dante Alighieri. Translated by Philip H. Wicksteed"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      convivio_##_alighieri.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. convivio_01_alighieri.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Dante Alighieri
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The Convivio

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

No need to read endnotes, unless you find one particularly interesting or necessary. I have not included notes in the page ranges in the MW. You may also skip the summaries at the beginning of each chapter and the notes in the margins.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by HoosierMary on May 4th, 2014, 8:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mary

I'll be away from LV until mid January.
Dramatic reading: Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment
In italiano: Rime

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » April 19th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Hi, Mary! I can MC this. :D Be right back with window.
Leni
=================

The Library of the World's Best Literature volume 10 needs you! Only six sections to go! :D

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » April 19th, 2014, 4:51 pm

And here it is. I also cleaned the first post a bit.

I suggest you also review the wording of the intro and outro, to make sure everybody gets it right. I suspect you will have to cut the sections, since he has long treatises and odes, so I don't know if you will want people saying "Chapter" or "Section" or "Treatise"... that can get confusing.

Anything else you need help with, please do let me know. :)

Oh, and are you going to PL it? Or should we try to attract a PLer by offering chocolates and cookies? :mrgreen:
Leni
=================

The Library of the World's Best Literature volume 10 needs you! Only six sections to go! :D

HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary » April 19th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Thanks, Leni!

Excellent point about the intro and outro. Will do. I am definitely dividing sections. The treatises are quite long.

I would love to find a DPL. That way I can read a few sections myself. :) I can go ahead and post in Listeners Wanted once I've set up the MW.
Mary

DrewJ

Post by DrewJ » April 19th, 2014, 6:23 pm

How would you want the footnotes and page references dealt with?
When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won. -Second Witch
Read some poetry?

HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary » April 19th, 2014, 7:15 pm

DrewJ wrote:How would you want the footnotes and page references dealt with?
Thanks, Drew, for anticipating what I was just about to post once I finished the MW. :) No need to read footnotes unless you find them particularly interesting/necessary. I am not including the endnotes for each chapter in the page ranges in the MW.
Mary

Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug » April 19th, 2014, 7:49 pm

May I read the odes - Sections 4,8 and 13?

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary » April 19th, 2014, 7:55 pm

Algy Pug wrote:May I read the odes - Sections 4,8 and 13?

Cheers
Absolutely! Thanks for claiming. :)
(There will be plenty more Odes to come, just so you know. I happen to be in the middle of setting up the MW, so you don't see the others. For now I've signed you up for those three. Feel free to claim more if you'd like.)

Note: They usually have the Italian capoverso (first line/often used as title) at the beginning. Your call whether or not to read this, based on your comfort level. If you do choose to read it, I'm happy to help with pronunciation if you need me.
Mary

Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug » April 20th, 2014, 4:33 am

I am happy to read the remaining odes as well (sections 21- 32) - unless you want a change of voice.

Reading the capoverso will not be a problem.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary » April 20th, 2014, 6:13 am

The Odes are yours! I kind of like the idea of having one voice for the Odes, so that will be cool. Thanks for claiming!
Mary

Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug » April 20th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Just one question before I start recording - do you want me to read the number before each paragraph, eg.

I
Ye who by understanding move the third heaven
hearken to the discourse which is in my heart
for I may not tell it to any other, so strange it seemeth me.

I believe that it is the usual practice not to read the numbers as this can disrupt the flow of the verse.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary » April 20th, 2014, 7:59 pm

Algy Pug wrote:Just one question before I start recording - do you want me to read the number before each paragraph, eg.

I
Ye who by understanding move the third heaven
hearken to the discourse which is in my heart
for I may not tell it to any other, so strange it seemeth me.

I believe that it is the usual practice not to read the numbers as this can disrupt the flow of the verse.

Cheers
No need to read the numbers. Thanks for asking!
Mary

MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON » April 21st, 2014, 8:07 am

Hi Mary

I'd like to volunteer for Section 1.

Best
Martin

HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary » April 21st, 2014, 8:17 am

MARTIN GEESON wrote:Hi Mary

I'd like to volunteer for Section 1.

Best
Martin
Thanks, Martin. You're signed up!
Mary

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » April 22nd, 2014, 1:03 pm

Moving the thread to Readers Wanted.
Leni
=================