[COMPLETE] Life & Letters of Eliz Prentiss by Geo Prentiss - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

The Life and Letters of Elizabeth Prentiss by George Prentiss (1818 - 1878) .

This project is now complete. All files may be found in the catalog. https://librivox.org/the-life-and-letters-of-elizabeth-prentiss-by-george-prentiss/
Abandoned solo, adopted by Linny as a group project.
This memoir was undertaken at the request of many of Mrs. Prentiss' old and most trusted friends, who felt that the story of her life should be given to the public. Much of it is in the nature of an autobiography. Her letters, which with extracts from her journals form the larger portion of its contents, begin when she was in her twentieth year, and continue almost to her last hour. They are full of details respecting herself, her home, her friends, and the books she wrote. A simple narrative, interspersed with personal reminiscences, and varied by a sketch of her father, and passing notices of others, who exerted a moulding influence upon her character, completes the story. A picture is thus presented of the life she lived and its changing scenes, both on the natural and the spiritual side. While the work may fail to interest some readers, the hope is cherished that, like STEPPING HEAVENWARD, it will be welcomed into Christian homes and prove a blessing to many hearts; thus realising the desire expressed in one of her last letters: Much of my experience of life has cost me a great price and I wish to use it for strengthening and comforting other souls. (Summary by George Prentiss)

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11549
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard Linny wil DPL

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Genres for the project:
    advice, biography, memoirs, religion

Keywords that describe the book:
    Stepping; Heavenward; Elizabeth; Prentiss; Christian; Motherhood; Spiritual; Growth; Encouragement; Mourning; Pain

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    Less than 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)[list][*]"Chapter [number], Part [number] of More Love to Thee: The Life and Letters of Elizabeth Prentiss . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"[*] If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
    [*] Say:
    " More Love to Thee: The Life and Letters of Elizabeth Prentiss , by George Prentiss . Chapter [number], Part [number] "

END of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of Chapter [number], Part [number] "
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of More Love to Thee: The Life and Letters of Elizabeth Prentiss, by George Prentiss. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename
lifeandletters_##_prentiss_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. lifeandletters_01_prentiss_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Please ignore tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
    http://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny - linny
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by linny on October 18th, 2019, 5:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmmm. I show this work as being about 252,000 words. At 26 sections, that works out to about 9700 words per section, which is quite long - about an hour or 70 minutes per section. Are they really going to be that long?

This should end up being about 30 hours' finished recording. It's a BIG project.

(Also, I don't see "More Love to Thee" as any part of the title in this text.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mom_of_nine

Post by mom_of_nine »

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it is that long, as I think I've only finished "pre-reading" about half of it. I've only seen it in ebook form, so that makes it harder to gauge. I am willing to break up the chapters if you think that would be best. Mrs. Prentiss was an extremely prolific letter writer/authoress/songwriter/poetess/journal writer. Even assuming her husband culled out all of the personal stuff before publishing the rest, he had a lot of material over the course of her long life! Do you think a year is enough time to finish this? I think my last solo project took about 4-5 months (Stepping Heavenward).

Thanks for the query about the title. I'll double check that. I recently re-downloaded the public domain version on my Kindle, and that was on it. Not sure why.

Thanks for your help on this!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can MC this for you - will set it up later today.
I would prefer to use the text link title , but the other is more interesting, maybe we could include it in brackets so they both can be included in a search.
I will shorten the file name :roll: the automatic version is a trifle long :D
You can take your time finishing it - it is one of those readings that if you had enough half way through it could be catalogued in parts - it isn't like a novel
9000 word chapters are OK - about 50-55 minutes reading - or if you prefer them shorter you could split them. There are conflicting points of view about the subject , so it is up to you

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Doing some quick math on the word counts, this project is 2.625x the length of that one. So if you did it in 4.5 months, this one would take [scribble scribble scribble DING!] 11.8 months at the same production level. :thumbs:

Yes, you will probably need to divide chapters. The best way to go about it would be probably to figure out how long each chapter is (to see if it needs dividing), and if it does, find a good stopping place. If you want to do that as you go along, that's fine; you'll just need to fill in the sections in the MW as you go instead of at the start of the project. Then if you need more sections in the MW, let me know and I'll add them. They'll always show up at the bottom of the MW.

Make sense?

Oh, and I'll MC. I'll be back in a bit with the MW. :) EDIT: I see Anne jumped in just ahead of me! No problem - there are always other projects to MC. ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Great to be popular , isn't it :D
I have set up your MW - with 26 sections. As Tricia said , we can add more if needed - iff you fill the title fields as you go until you are sure how long you want the sections.
Just remember the title fields need to have the section number first

eg 01 - The Child and the Girl
or 01 - The Child and the Girl Part 1

Have fun,

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

How are things going ? We do ask for you to keep in touch even if you have not been able to record anything

Anne
mom_of_nine

Post by mom_of_nine »

Hi, Anne! I'm so sorry for not keeping in touch! I thought I was in a waiting mode until I got a DPL. So, I hadn't done anything, yet. Life has been crazy this fall. LOL I have high hopes for a LOOOONG boring winter to allow me more time to record. Anyway, I'll try to get the magic window filled in this week if not this weekend. (Two birthdays this week!) And, if it doesn't matter about the DPL, I'll get started recording asap.

Blessings!
Theresa
mom_of_nine

Post by mom_of_nine »

Upload successful. URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/lifeandletters_01_prentiss.mp3

Yay, me! And, yay to my patient hubby who finally taught me how to do my own edits. LOL Chapter one part one is about 21 minutes long.

Merry Christmas (late) and Happy New Year (early) :D
mom_of_nine

Post by mom_of_nine »

BTW, I did finally look at how the book is set up, and you were right! Man those are HUGE chapters! Fortunately, they are already broken into sections with roman numerals. So, I did chapt 1 part 1 and it was 21 minutes long. I wonder if chapter one will end up being almost 2 hours long with four sections? LOL
mom_of_nine

Post by mom_of_nine »

Hey, Anne, I think I need a new magic window password. The one I had from 2010 doesn't seem to be working. Thanks!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

PMed - they all got changed at the hack attack
mom_of_nine

Post by mom_of_nine »

mom_of_nine

Post by mom_of_nine »

Gulp! I was feeling good about knocking out two chapter sections in two days until I got around to actually going through the table of contents to see how many chapter sections there are --55! Looks like I won't run out of stuff to do this winter! LOL I think I'll need double the sections the magic window has up.
mom_of_nine

Post by mom_of_nine »

And, here is Chapter One Part Three - approx 22 mins.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/lifeandletters_03_prentiss.mp3

Blessings, Terri