[COMPLETE] The Elder & Younger Eddas-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

The Elder Eddas of Saemund Sigfusson; and the Younger Eddas of Snorre Sturleson by Saemund Sigfusson (1000 - 1057) . Translated by Rasmus B. Anderson (1846 - 1936).
The most complete set of the epic Norse eddas, or poems. It contains in beautiful verse the pagan beliefs of the Old Norse. Luckily in this work, both the Elder Eddas of Saemund Sigfusson and the Younger Eddas of Snorre Sturleson are presented, and you may find a version of the Nibelunglied that aren't as familiar with. Numerous authors including Tolkien and Martin have acknowledged their debt to and appreciation for these traditional works. (Summary by Becky Cook)
this is a discontinued solo , lets get it into the catalogue
  • Target completion date: 2019-Jan-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14726
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard - Our DPL is Foon :clap:
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
      Please note that we handle a one month deadline for poetry projects!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14726
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      Genres for the project:
      ancient-texts, myths-legends, poetry, religion

Keywords that describe the book:
      Norse; Icelandic; Nibelungenlied; Mythology; Odin; Ragnorak
    6. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [#] of The Elder Eddas of Saemund Sigfusson; and the Younger Eddas of Snorre Sturleson . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name]"
      • Say:
        " The Elder Eddas of Saemund Sigfusson; and the Younger Eddas of Snorre Sturleson , by Saemund Sigfusson . Translated by Rasmus B. Anderson"
      • Say:
        "[Section title]"
      Please do not read the line numbers contained in the text.
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [#]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Elder Eddas of Saemund Sigfusson; and the Younger Eddas of Snorre Sturleson , by Saemund Sigfusson . Translated by Rasmus B. Anderson "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording,
  • Example filename
    eddas_##_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. eddas_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by linny on August 29th, 2018, 1:43 pm, edited 19 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can MC this for you , I can't check the text at the moment - if there are too many to list "various"

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've set the MW up
re the ID tags - a couple of points
I have had a request to keep the fields less than 44 characters as their player only displays 44.
The author and title need to be the same for all the files - so either come up with something that fits , or use various. If you are filling in section titles please start them all in the pattern 00 - Preface etc

Have fun , it doesn't look an easy read but it will be a great addition to the catalogue

Anne
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Great, I'll get the window set up tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Its a long read, but most of the sections are fairly short in themselves, so I think that will help. I think I will go with Various since there are two authors, and two translators. SHould I edit the description at all?
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

re summary
Maybe see what you think later - I was a bit puzzled about the verse description - it looks like prose to me - but I am no expert :D ,
and one sentence puzzled me
and you may find a version of the Nibelunglied that aren't as familiar with

But I am happy to wait till you have read more , They are one of the things that I have heard of but never studied - apart from "A Child's book of Old Norse Tales" :D

Anne
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

The Niebelungenlied part will make more sense when we get to the second half of the Elder Eddas. The Norse have a slightly different version of the same story.

I was thinking for the ID Tags it could read
Artist Name: Sigfusson & Sturleson
Album Title: The Elder Eddas and the Younger Eddas

With the file format name of eddas_01_various.mp3
Would that work? That way the ID3 tags are under 40 characters. I can add this to the MW as well.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

THe shorter file name would be good
It was the English of the summary I didn't understand , I felt there was a word missing somewhere- does it make sense to you ? If so leave it. I'm sure Wagner took as much liberties with the tale as Disney does :D

The ID tags look good :D

Anne
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Uploading a few posts. Unfortunately this extreme heat is making it hard to record. THe city's power grid keeps going under, blaaah.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Anne can you move us to "Listeners Wanted" I'm not sure how to do that? :D Thanks
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
catrose

Post by catrose »

I can DPL this, if you want... :wink:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Thanks Catrose! Just so you know I tend to go in spurts. I record and edit about every other weekend, so take your time with these there probably wont be any more recordings for a week.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
catrose

Post by catrose »

00 PL OK!
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Sorry I dont know how to add a DPL to the MW, we'll have to wait for the MC. :clap: Thanks for listening.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've added Catrose as DPL - welcome aboard - I notice you have taken on a large number of PLing jobs - if you find you can't keep up just let us know and we will advertise for some one else.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

jollyrogered wrote:Anne can you move us to "Listeners Wanted" I'm not sure how to do that? :D Thanks
FYI as we have a DPL - what you need to do if you need a listener is to go to the Listeners waanted forum and there is a sticky there which explains what to do.
You can't add a DPL - only an admin can :D (We have to have some uses :mrgreen: )

Anne