COMPLETE: Nan Sherwood at Lakeview Hall by A. Roe Carr - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Nan Sherwood at Lakeview Hall by Annie Roe Carr (n/a - n/a) .

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/nan-sherwood-at-lakeview-hall-by-annie-roe-carr/

The story of a young girl heading off to boarding school and the adventures that she has there. This book also goes by the title of "The Mystery of the Haunted Boathouse". (Summary by Linda Ciano and linny)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35248
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
  6. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    teen-young-adult

Keywords that describe the book:

The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Nan Sherwood at Lakeview Hall . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Nan Sherwood at Lakeview Hall, by Annie Roe Carr . [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Nan Sherwood at Lakeview Hall, by Annie Roe Carr. "

There should be 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.

Example filename
    nansherwoodatlakeviewhall_##_carr.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. nansherwoodatlakeviewhall_01_carr.mp3)

Example ID3 V2 tags
    Please ignore tags. They will be automatically entered during the cataloging process.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo - knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by linny on June 26th, 2018, 5:48 pm, edited 14 times in total.
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi Linda!

I'll MC for you! Will be back with the MW in a bit... :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
aravis

Post by aravis »

So, the MW is up! Happy recording! :D

Btw, do you have your username and password for the MW?

Edit: I'd also love to DPL, if I may?
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
lindaciano

Post by lindaciano »

Hi, Elli!

Thanks so much for signing on as MC and for setting up the MW! I actually read for another project that you MC'd (one of the Children's Short Works collections) -- it's nice to be working with you again. :D

Of course, I'd be delighted to have you as DPL -- thanks for offering! :D

Cheers,
:) Linda

ETA: Oh, and I don't have my username or password yet.
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi Linda!

Yay! Looking forward to listening! :D

Oh and I've PMed you with the password and username!
Elli

lindaciano

Post by lindaciano »

Thanks, Elli! I'll check my PM and get started working with the MW.

aravis

Post by aravis »

Time to move us to Going Solo! :D
Elli

lindaciano

Post by lindaciano »

Awesome! Thanks, Elli!
lindaciano

Post by lindaciano »

Hi, Elli

Here's Chapter 01 - The Brand New Bag:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/avs/nansherwoodatlakeviewhall_01_carr.mp3

11.3mb
12:23

Cheers,
aravis

Post by aravis »

Yay! Downloading! :D
Elli

aravis

Post by aravis »

Chapter 1: the volume is borderline too low (85db). It would be great if you could amplify it a little. (otherwise it's great!)
Elli

lindaciano

Post by lindaciano »

aravis wrote:Chapter 1: the volume is borderline too low (85db). It would be great if you could amplify it a little. (otherwise it's great!)
Elli, I've never had a problem with volume in my recordings before, so I apologize for not knowing how to correct this. I found "amplify" in Audacity, but I don't know how to see what my current db setting is or how much to adjust it (or how to use the amplify feature to do the adjusting). If you could point me to the right place in librivox for instructions on how to proceed, I'll get right on it.

Thanks!

ETA: OK, Elli, I just found the video tutorial on using the amplify feature on Audacity, so I've tried to amplify the file. I still don't know how to read the decibel level, so I don't know if it's made any difference. If you could let me know how to find the decibel level of a file, I'd really appreciate it. :)

Here's the re-upload at what I hope is the right volume. Please let me know if it's OK.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/avs/nansherwoodatlakeviewhall_01_carr.mp3

Thanks!
Last edited by lindaciano on June 1st, 2012, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
lindaciano

Post by lindaciano »

Hi, Elli

Here's Chapter 2:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/avs/nansherwoodatlakeviewhall_02_carr.mp3

11.4mb
12:27

I raised the recording volume a little bit, so I hope that takes care of the problem I had with Chapter 1. Please let me know how it sounds!

Thanks,
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi Linda!

Chapter 1 is a tiny bit too quiet. (85dB)
I always use [url=http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php]mp3 Gain to check the volume. We aim for 89 dB, but everything between 85 and 95 is ok. :D
Oh and here is a really good tutorial on amplifying: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Amplifying (When you amplify always make sure that clipping isn't allowed for that can cause ugly distortions in a recording.)

Edit: I just had a quick look at your first chapter... and here is what I did:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/avs/nansherwoodatlakeviewhall_01_carr_ampelli.mp3

Your recording is about 85 dB and so it would be good to amplify it by about 2-3 dB. But there are few peaks around 5:20, 7:00 and 11:45-11:50 (louder parts in the recording) which won't allow amplifying without getting some clipping. So I de-amplified those parts by about 2 dB before amplifying the whole recording. (The Wiki can explain a lot better: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Removing_Peaks :roll: )
Btw. if you are happy with the result, there is no need for you to redo it. I can just rename the file so that it matches the others and we can use it. :D
Elli

aravis

Post by aravis »

Chapter 2: is great! :D

The volume is much better (92dB). Only there is now some clipping. (That's when the waves touch the top and bottom and get flattened.... it can make the recording sound distorted) For future recordings it might be good to lower the input volume again a tiny bit.
Elli