[RELIGION] Some Answered Questions ‘Abdu’l-Bahá - complete

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Adib

Post by Adib »

Some Answered Questions by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá ‘Abbás (23 May 1844 - 28 November 1921) . [Translated by Laura Clifford Barney] (1879-1974).
Some Answered Questions was first published in 1908. It contains questions asked to `Abdu'l-Bahá by Laura Clifford Barney, during several of her visits to Haifa between 1904 and 1906, and `Abdu'l-Bahá's answers to these questions.
Prominent among the topics are detailed explanations of Christian subjects, including interpretations of chapters 11 and 12 of the Book of Revelation, chapter 11 of the Book of Isaiah, the story of Genesis, and many other subjects.
Topics covered include God, Prophets of God, Christian subjects, evolution, the soul, immortality, fate, free will, healing, the non-existence of evil, and reincarnation.(Introduction derived from Wikipedia)

• Target completion date: 12 November 2013
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/someansweredques00abdurich
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard, Word Perfect, Special, Translated Text (delete as appropriate)

MAGIC WINDOW:

(Admin link)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of [Book title]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [NAME]"
    • Say:
      "Some Answered Questions, by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá. Translated by Laura Clifford Barney. Chapter #"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section # of Some Answered Questions by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá. Translated by Laura Clifford Barney. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [NAME]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of [Book title], by [Author]. [Translated by [translator]]."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    someansweredquestions_##_abbas.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: 'Abdu’l-Bahá ‘Abbás
    Album: Some Answered Questions
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: n19 - Nicholas19
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Adib on January 5th, 2011, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

I'll MC this for you, Adib.

With regards to the number of sections, I think 83 is too many. What you may want to do is go through the book and divide it in larger sections.

Let's assume that 1000 words becomes 10 minutes, 2000 words about 20 minutes. Decide roughly how long you want your sections to be. They could be up to maybe an hour in length, which would be roughly 6000 words. Then go through the book and use word counts to decide how long each section will be. For instance, chapters 1 and 2 combined make about 1072 words. So if you want to have a 10 minute section, Section 1 could consist of chapters 1 and 2. When you've figured out how many sections you want, I'll set up the Magic Window and you can put in the section names. The Introduction could be read as Section 00.

If you want to do word counts, you could use the text version from the Baha'i Reference Library to work out the sections.
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
Adib

Post by Adib »

Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

Adib wrote:I guess I still need a DPL though. :hmm:
Great! I managed to find DPLs for my other Baha'i projects, so hopefully one will come along eventually.

BTW, you don't need to post the links here. You can directly put them into the Magic Window in the links column and put the file length and size in the Notes column. Also, put PL Needed in the Notes column for the benefit of the future DPL. You can then just post "Section # uploaded" here so that we know that the project is progressing. :)
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
Adib

Post by Adib »

Excellent! All done. Thanks for your help!
queenofit

Post by queenofit »

I have reposted here, hope it is the right spot, to let you know that I will PL as I told you on the other link. I have completed the introduction and it sounds fine...

section 00 and 01 are PL'd and both are OK

queenofit
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

queenofit wrote:I have reposted here, hope it is the right spot, to let you know that I will PL as I told you on the other link. I have completed the introduction and it sounds fine...

section 00 and 01 are PL'd and both are OK

queenofit
Thanks queenofit! :)

I've added you to the Magic Window so you can update the PL status directly. I've sent you your Magic Window username and password just in case you haven't received it yet.

Could you just confirm whether you're reading along with the text while listening? This would help to make sure the recording is accurate.

Best wishes,
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
queenofit

Post by queenofit »

Yes, I have been reading the txt along with listening....its very good so far! but I do have a few notes on the intro and section 1 and 2. However, I guess I can't figure out how to get to magic window to send them to you...can someone help me with that? I got a password but all the places I tried it I couldn't use it....disappointing that I can't get these notes to you....but for one, when I opened in audiacity I couldn't find the MP3 tags (metadata was empty on all three sections) and 01 and 02 didn't have enough time at the end. other than that all sections are fine so far....
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

queenofit wrote:Yes, I have been reading the txt along with listening....its very good so far! but I do have a few notes on the intro and section 1 and 2. However, I guess I can't figure out how to get to magic window to send them to you...can someone help me with that? I got a password but all the places I tried it I couldn't use it....disappointing that I can't get these notes to you....but for one, when I opened in audiacity I couldn't find the MP3 tags (metadata was empty on all three sections) and 01 and 02 didn't have enough time at the end. other than that all sections are fine so far....
Hi, there's only one place where you need to put in those details. When you click on the link underneath the Magic Window, it will ask for your username and password. It's probably case sensitive, so make sure to write or paste it exactly. Make sure there's no whitespace afterwords. Other than that, I can't see what the problem is. Try again.

You can't really fit PL Notes into the Magic window. Just write PL Notes or See PL Notes and the reader can refer to these in the thread. Another PL-er, mim@can writes it like this

<a href="http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30479"><font color="red"><b>pl note</font></b></a> when there are notes and in Green when it is PL OK. This isn't required but can be useful.

<font color=green><b>PL OK</b></font>
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
queenofit

Post by queenofit »

Notes for 00, 01, 02....I PL'd these and finally figured out how to use password in MW...lol :clap:

00= no metadata tags
01= no metadata tags and there should be 5 sec of empty time at end or 10 sec if reading longer than 30 min.
02= no metadata tags and there should be 5 sec of empty time at end or 10 sec if reading longer than 30 min.

Great speaking voice and timing!!!! keep up the great work!
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

Thanks queenofit. Just to let you know, Adib sent me this message:
Unfortunately school has started back up, so I won't be able to dedicate time to this project for a few months. But once summer comes around, I'm going to try my utmost to finish the whole thing during that period of time.
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
queenofit

Post by queenofit »

Ok....then I will just keep checking back....maybe it should be moved to a group reading??? I seem to have more time now, lol, so if you need a PL for another project while we wait, let me know.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

queenofit wrote:Ok....then I will just keep checking back....maybe it should be moved to a group reading??? I seem to have more time now, lol, so if you need a PL for another project while we wait, let me know.
I'm sure Adib will be back to complete this project. We don't usually open up solos as group projects unless the reader doesn't want to continue it as a solo or abandons the project.

I'll keep you in mind if I set up/MC any other projects in the near future.

Best wishes,
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
Adib

Post by Adib »

Thanks for volunteering to be the DPL, queenofit. :) I could have sworn I added 5 seconds of silence at the end of both recordings—and that I also added ID3 tags to all of them—but I'll check on that and modify it eventually if need be.

I will indeed be away for a few months, but I am very determined to finish this project.
queenofit

Post by queenofit »

I will check again to make sure and let you know....glad you are dedicated to finishing!!! you have a nice speaking voice and its good to hear you on the projects.