[COMPLETE] Joseph in the Snow, and The Clockmaker. In Three Volumes. Vol. II. by Auerbach-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

bonniblue wrote: November 26th, 2022, 9:30 am
BrianFullen wrote: November 25th, 2022, 8:18 pm
I do understand from your 1-minute test post that you are using https://online-voice-recorder.com for recording. I am not personally familiar with that online tool but I did visit the site. I am curious to know if you might have used that tool's 'Volume Changer' to amplify your MP3. The reason I ask is that I wonder if that might be how the clipping was introduced.

I am aware where the chipping is from. I have issues with stuttering, and to insure as close to the best possible listening experience that I can provide, I did multiple takes and then edited them together at points where it was least noticeable. Hopefully that isn't a problem!
No, I don't think it's a problem in principle. What I'm going to ask is that you wait a bit to hear from DPL who will likely give you some feedback before you record and upload your other sections. I think your enthusiasm is fantastic and I don't wish to dampen that so please don't think that I don't appreciate what you are doing for LibriVox. I did listen to your recording a bit and I did hear a TV (at least I'm pretty sure it was) in the background. Do you have a quieter space in which to record your other sections when you do them? Thanks
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
bonniblue

Post by bonniblue »

BrianFullen wrote: November 26th, 2022, 11:06 am
I did listen to your recording a bit and I did hear a TV (at least I'm pretty sure it was) in the background. Do you have a quieter space in which to record your other sections when you do them? Thanks
yes, i do have a quieter place. I hadn't thought about the TV being a problem, because I was in a different room with the door closed, but I have a partially deaf roommate who must have the TV HIGH to hear. Thank you for the input!
UncleCorico

Post by UncleCorico »

Does anyone know of a place where I can find a brief description of the characters? Im trying to figure out what there voices should sound like and I think that would aid me along in that process.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

UncleCorico wrote: November 29th, 2022, 6:13 am Does anyone know of a place where I can find a brief description of the characters? Im trying to figure out what there voices should sound like and I think that would aid me along in that process.
Some, but not all, of the characters are introduced in Chapter 1, "A Good Name". Sometimes Auerbach gives really good hints for your purpose e.g. "...observed young Faller, in his sonorous voice..." which he does in that Chapter 1. Also, e.g. "...sound of the Doctor's voice shows that he is a corpulent man..." is in Chapter 4, "Each One for Himself". Auerbach doesn't always provide such explicit info on voice; however, he usually does provide some info that could be of use in what you would like to do.

When I'm new to a book, and wish to do what you wish to do. I typically search the text (e.g. ctrl-f in a browser, enter character name in search box and then search up or down) to find something useful.

Of course it's not absolutely necessary that you do voice characterizations. But some readers like to do that. I do it sometimes if I think it might enhance the sections I'm reading.

Thanks.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Chapter 1 is now listed as PL OK. A good reading.

Lomond
UncleCorico

Post by UncleCorico »

BrianFullen wrote: November 25th, 2022, 8:18 pm
I do understand from your 1-minute test post that you are using https://online-voice-recorder.com for recording. I am not personally familiar with that online tool but I did visit the site. I am curious to know if you might have used that tool's 'Volume Changer' to amplify your MP3. The reason I ask is that I wonder if that might be how the clipping was introduced.

I am aware where the chipping is from. I have issues with stuttering, and to insure as close to the best possible listening experience that I can provide, I did multiple takes and then edited them together at points where it was least noticeable. Hopefully that isn't a problem!
No, I don't think it's a problem in principle. What I'm going to ask is that you wait a bit to hear from DPL who will likely give you some feedback before you record and upload your other sections. I think your enthusiasm is fantastic and I don't wish to dampen that so please don't think that I don't appreciate what you are doing for LibriVox. I did listen to your recording a bit and I did hear a TV (at least I'm pretty sure it was) in the background. Do you have a quieter space in which to record your other sections when you do them? Thanks

Brian and Bonniblue if you dont mind i could boost the volume of the original recordings and make sure there is no clipping.
Let me know if that is something you would want me to try
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

UncleCorico wrote: November 30th, 2022, 8:17 am

Brian and Bonniblue if you dont mind i could boost the volume of the original recordings and make sure there is no clipping.
Let me know if that is something you would want me to try
I think this is a well-intended offer to help with editing and I know you are very good at that given your work on another project and the bit you told me about your background.

I'll leave to bonniblue to respond to your offer. I do think that the online tool that bonniblue uses for recording does not really have any editing capability a la, say TwistedWave, that may or may not be of interest but really I don't want to tell others what tools they should favor. I know at least one reader who seems happy with TwistedWave but I think it is not a panacea (just my opinion). I could be wrong but I do think there is a beta (though seemingly useful) version of Audacity for Chromebook but I think it requires Linux install and there could be very sound reasons for one to not want do that (a bit cumbersome, perhaps).

If you are really keen to assist others with audio engineering (I don't doubt that you could) there is a topic on the LibriVox Forum / Board Index called "Proof Listeners or Editors Wanted" and from time to time I am sure there are requests for help there. I do admire your desire to pitch in and help other LibriVox volunteers.
UncleCorico

Post by UncleCorico »

Section 13 Done link: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/clockmaker_13_auerbach_128kb.mp3

Section 14 is read and needs edited

Section 15 not started
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

UncleCorico wrote: November 30th, 2022, 4:25 pm Section 13 Done link: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/clockmaker_13_auerbach_128kb.mp3

Section 14 is read and needs edited

Section 15 not started
Thank you for both the upload and the update!
colincosta

Post by colincosta »

Hi,

I'd like to claim sections 9, 10, 11 and 12.

I have recorded section 9 as a dry-run. I'm not sure if I'd be breaking any protocol, but kindly consider this recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/clockmaker_09_auerbach_128kb.mp3

I'll wait for a confirmation of my claim before recording other sections.

Sagar
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

colincosta wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:39 pm Hi,

I have recorded section 9 as a dry-run. I'm not sure if I'd be breaking any protocol, but kindly consider this recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/clockmaker_09_auerbach_128kb.mp3

Sagar
Hi,

Your 1-minute does pass Checker (have you downloaded Checker to your Linux platform?). My feedback on it would be that silence should be between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds at start of recording; in Audacity it looks to me that yours is just over one second in your 1-minute. Also, there should be 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recordings and I don't think your minute has quite that (you can be fractionally off but try to make it 5 seconds in your recordings going forward. I do suppose that your 1-minute will pass either as is or I'm sure you'd fix it if requested. I think you have a good voice, quite clear. You will probably get expert feedback on your 1-minute and you should give it consideration whatever it might be.

I would say that protocol is to pass your 1-minute first. Then make a claim and wait for its grant before uploading any sections whatsoever to LibriVox server. I don't mind your eagerness at all, but I feel I should encourage all to follow protocol. Understood?

Let's do this. I will grant your claim to section 9 and also 10. But not to the others. At least not just yet. Let's see how it goes with 9 and 10 first, fair enough? In future please do not upload sections that are not [yet] assigned to you.

My role on this project is as BC. There is a DPL. I will not be listening to your section 9; that will be done by the DPL. I will update the MW to show that Sections 9 and 10 are assigned to you and I mark Section 9 Ready for PL. But before I do so it would be useful for me to know what you will want as your 'Display Name' for LibriVox Catalog. Of course I do have your Forum (user) Name and I can use same for Display Name but that might not be what you want. I need both in order to add you as a new reader so that sections can be assigned to you.

So, tell me, what do you want as your Display Name?

Cheers,
Brian
UncleCorico

Post by UncleCorico »

section 14 Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/clockmaker_14_auerbach_128kb.mp3

Section 15 is recorded needs editing should be able to get it done this afternoon
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

colincosta wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:39 pm Hi,

Sagar
I see that your 1-minute test was okayed a short while ago. I will assign you sections 9 and 10 at this point in time. In order to do so, I will add you as a new reader. For now, I will enter "Sagar" as your Display Name. If you decide you would prefer a different Display Name let me know and I will check on how you can go about changing it. For now, I will leave sections 11 and 12 on a temporary hold, but if things go smoothly with 9 and 10 I will assign them to you. Welcome to the team!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

bonniblue wrote: November 26th, 2022, 1:40 pm
I did listen to your recording a bit and I did hear a TV (at least I'm pretty sure it was) in the background. Do you have a quieter space in which to record your other sections when you do them? Thanks
yes, i do have a quieter place. I hadn't thought about the TV being a problem, because I was in a different room with the door closed, but I have a partially deaf roommate who must have the TV HIGH to hear. Thank you for the input!
Hi! I don't want to slow you down any longer. By all means, proceed with your recording of your assigned sections. Please check your mic volume prior to recording and if it's maxed out consider lowering it a bit. If you do use your recording tool's 'Change Volume' feature so as to achieve ideal volume of about 89 dB please be careful not to increase volume such that you introduce clipping. Please try to eliminate as much background noise (TV e.g.) as you can because excessive background noise can prove distracting to listeners. Another volunteer, UncleCorico, has offered assistance with 'audio engineering' and really it's up to you if you want take them up on that offer - maybe you two can exchange PM's about that. Cheers and best wishes, Brian
UncleCorico

Post by UncleCorico »

Section 15 Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/clockmaker_15_auerbach_128kb.mp3

In future I guess I can wait and upload them all at once instead of spamming the thread