[COMPLETE]When They Were Children, by Amy Steedman - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

acousticanna wrote: November 29th, 2022, 6:47 pm Hi!

I can be credited as De Anna Lee, my name. Does that work?

It does! Here is your catalog page! https://librivox.org/reader/18051
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
acousticanna

Post by acousticanna »

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/whentheywerechildren_04_steedman_128kb.mp3

Here's "S. Catherine of Siena"...I hope. The recording length is 12:38.

I've never done this before and Audacity and I are still getting to know each other. :D

Thank you so much for your help and advice.
AmyS

Post by AmyS »

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

acousticanna wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:44 am https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/whentheywerechildren_04_steedman_128kb.mp3

Here's "S. Catherine of Siena"...I hope. The recording length is 12:38.

I've never done this before and Audacity and I are still getting to know each other. :D

Thank you so much for your help and advice.

I will let you know as soon as I can how well you did. Thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

AmyS wrote: November 30th, 2022, 6:53 am Uploaded Section 5 - Jeanne D'Arc.
Time: 13.00

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/whentheywerechildren_05_steedman_128kb.mp3

Thanks Amy!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Weretortoise

Post by Weretortoise »

icequeen wrote: November 25th, 2022, 8:46 pm Section 24 needs the volume reduced, then it will be perfect! The volume is currently at 102.1 dB, and we need that to be around 89 dB. It needs to be reduced by 13dB to get the volume close to that target.
Hi, I've reposted https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/whentheywerechildren_24_steedman_128kb.mp3
I think it's OK :)
If not, would you (or someone else here!) be able to help me get it right? It's a bit trial-and-error at the moment...

Cheers :-)
Paul J
KerenSm1

Post by KerenSm1 »

Could I claim 13, on Thomas Carlyle and Jane Welsh pls.

Keren
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

KerenSm1 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 2:59 pm Could I claim 13, on Thomas Carlyle and Jane Welsh pls.

Keren
Section 13 is yours! Thanks Keren!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Weretortoise wrote: November 30th, 2022, 2:38 pm
icequeen wrote: November 25th, 2022, 8:46 pm Section 24 needs the volume reduced, then it will be perfect! The volume is currently at 102.1 dB, and we need that to be around 89 dB. It needs to be reduced by 13dB to get the volume close to that target.
Hi, I've reposted https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/whentheywerechildren_24_steedman_128kb.mp3
If not, would you (or someone else here!) be able to help me get it right? It's a bit trial-and-error at the moment...

Paul J
The volume did go down, but it is at 100.9 dB, which is still way too high. Have you downloaded Checker? If not, it is an easy way to check all the technical stuff that we check. As far as how to reduce the volume for future recordings, I am going to assume that you are using Audacity. At the top, in the middle, there is a microphone with a slide bar next to it, that will reduce the volume. You will need to experiment with it to see where that sweet spot is for the volume, which is where Checker comes in handy. Also, you may be too close to your mic. You shouldn't be right on top of your mic, you would end up with more problems along with the volume being too high, such as 'plosives which come from your breath hitting the mic when you say words starting with p or b. But, I have a feeling that you are not super close to your mic because I didn't hear any 'plosives. Try experimenting with that slide bar first, it might take a few times to get it just right. And, just remember that it is better to be too low in volume, which came be amplified. Too high and you have the problem of clipping, which is where the peaks get lost because there are outside the recording window. You recording does have some clipping, but I don't think it is that bad. Once you reduce the volume, then it will not be as noticeable.

As far as reducing the volume of this recording, assuming again that you have Audacity, that is in the Effects tab. So, go to Effects, click Amplify in the dropdown menu, then slide the little arrow down to -11 dB, then click OK. That should get the volume where we need it to be. Let me know if you need anymore help. I know that there is a lot to learn to get your settings just right, but once you get it, then stick to it.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 4 is PL OK! You did a great job for your first recording! And, yes, it takes a bit to get everything just right with Audacity. Keep working at it, and, most importantly, relax and have fun! Listeners will be able to hear it!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 5 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
acousticanna

Post by acousticanna »

I appreciate the positive feedback, Ann, and am looking forward to my next narration!
Weretortoise

Post by Weretortoise »

icequeen wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:01 pm

Paul J
The volume did go down, but it is at 100.9 dB, which is still way too high. Have you downloaded Checker? If not, it is an easy way to check all the technical stuff that we check. As far as how to reduce the volume for future recordings, I am going to assume that you are using Audacity. At the top, in the middle, there is a microphone with a slide bar next to it, that will reduce the volume. You will need to experiment with it to see where that sweet spot is for the volume, which is where Checker comes in handy. Also, you may be too close to your mic. You shouldn't be right on top of your mic, you would end up with more problems along with the volume being too high, such as 'plosives which come from your breath hitting the mic when you say words starting with p or b. But, I have a feeling that you are not super close to your mic because I didn't hear any 'plosives. Try experimenting with that slide bar first, it might take a few times to get it just right. And, just remember that it is better to be too low in volume, which came be amplified. Too high and you have the problem of clipping, which is where the peaks get lost because there are outside the recording window. You recording does have some clipping, but I don't think it is that bad. Once you reduce the volume, then it will not be as noticeable.

As far as reducing the volume of this recording, assuming again that you have Audacity, that is in the Effects tab. So, go to Effects, click Amplify in the dropdown menu, then slide the little arrow down to -11 dB, then click OK. That should get the volume where we need it to be. Let me know if you need anymore help. I know that there is a lot to learn to get your settings just right, but once you get it, then stick to it.
Brilliant, thank you. I’ll try again!
Weretortoise

Post by Weretortoise »

Paul J
Hi Again. Thanks for the tip\reminder about the Checker: it was invaluable.
This now sits at 89.3 apparently!
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/whentheywerechildren_24_steedman_128kb.mp3

Thanks again
Paul J
acousticanna

Post by acousticanna »

Hello! May I claim #32 for Jean-Francois Millet, please?