[COMPLETE] Ninety-nine Homilies of St. Thomas Aquinas upon the Epistles and Gospels - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

InTheDesert wrote: October 19th, 2022, 6:04 pm
yourbookvoice wrote: October 19th, 2022, 1:30 pm A most interesting project! I'd like to claim the following sections:

19 The Tares and the Wheat Link to text 238 words Open
66 Idolatry Link to text 238 words Open
77 The Ten Lepers Link to text 238 words Open

Thank you,
Kerry Adams
Your Book Voice
Done!
:!: :?: :!:
I note that 19 is in the Magic Window que, but 66 and 77 are not yet assigned to me. Likely an oversight, but I hope to avoid any confusion of someone else wanting to claim them, as I have had that happen before. :oops: :cry:

Also, I need some clarification on reading the headings. For example I have section 19, but the text reads "Homily X." So how I do I proceed? In the Intro do I read the section number as "Homily 19" and omit the text's "Homily X" or change it to Homily 19 as part of the heading, or read the intro as "Homily 19" and then read the text's heading as "Homily X"?
Thanks,
KLA
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

yourbookvoice wrote: October 21st, 2022, 2:23 pm :!: :?: :!:
I note that 19 is in the Magic Window que, but 66 and 77 are not yet assigned to me. Likely an oversight, but I hope to avoid any confusion of someone else wanting to claim them, as I have had that happen before. :oops: :cry:

Also, I need some clarification on reading the headings. For example I have section 19, but the text reads "Homily X." So how I do I proceed? In the Intro do I read the section number as "Homily 19" and omit the text's "Homily X" or change it to Homily 19 as part of the heading, or read the intro as "Homily 19" and then read the text's heading as "Homily X"?
Thanks,
KLA
Sorry about this - something odd happened when I did the latest round of assignments in the MW. Should be fixed now.

Follow the MW for the intro and then say homily 10 for the heading. It's because this 'book' has 4 books joined together so the numbering is off after the first series. Seems like the publisher was a bit lazy and never adjusted the sequence when they7 were all finished.
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

InTheDesert wrote: October 21st, 2022, 7:13 pm

Thanks,
KLA
Sorry about this - something odd happened when I did the latest round of assignments in the MW. Should be fixed now.

Follow the MW for the intro and then say homily 10 for the heading. It's because this 'book' has 4 books joined together so the numbering is off after the first series. Seems like the publisher was a bit lazy and never adjusted the sequence when they7 were all finished.
Acknowledged, and thank you for the clarification. Take care and be of good cheer. KLA
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Lorry wrote: October 21st, 2022, 9:47 am
Hi InTheDesert,

Section 15 is corrected, start at 1:51,
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/homileepistlegospels_15_aquinas_128kb.mp3, Duration 3:59.57

Best wishes,
Lori
PL OK!
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

InTheDesert wrote: October 21st, 2022, 7:13 pm

Thanks,
KLA

Actually, this latest directive now creates confusion for me... :oops:
I was about to record section 10 of this project saying "Homily 10 of 99 homilies" -- but if I apply the counsel just given to yourbookvoice, then I will need to start off by calling it "Homily 1", while she will be saying "Homily 19 of 99 homilies", then calling it "Homily 10" (which is my homily in the LibriVox list!). Multiply that by 99 occurences -- and future listeners might well wonder if that confusion could have been avoided... :shock: (At least I know that Thomas Aquinas lays purposeful claim to order, clarity and economy = avoiding needless repetition and confusion, which we risk to contradict in our acoustic representation.)

Maybe one solution would be to add section 100, his lost homily about Jesus who left the one sheep to find the 99 which were lost?... :lol: :roll:

Sed contra, in the special notes it is stated, "Do read the heading eg: TENTH SUNDAY AFTER TRINITY. (FROM THE GOSPEL.)", etc. :idea:
When I submitted section 45 (which received PL OK at the time), I actually had the same question as yourbookvoice about whether I should follow "Homily 45 of 99 homilies" by the immediate contradiction of calling it "Homily VIII".
So I consulted the special notes, to resolve my problem... :hmm:

Assuming it was desirable to avoid confusion, personally I understood "Do read the heading" to mean "Skip the in-book homily number by starting with the heading and its thematic title (because the LibriVox sections correspond ordinally to the global collection of 99 Homilies in this collation)"... 8-) [ :?: ]

So for my part I will not record, "Homily 10 of 99 homilies Homily 1" until I need to know whether I must also go back and fix the PL OK section 45 to sound like "Homily 45 of 99 Homily 8"... :cry: [In reality, the numbering is abstract and frankly "irrelevant": the headers "eg: TENTH SUNDAY AFTER TRINITY. (FROM THE GOSPEL.)" are what actually contextualize the content which follows in each, because each homily outline corresponds to the pre-established liturgical texts identified thereby.]

Therefore I will hold off here until this is clarified further, because I think we are early enough in the project to achieve desirable, collective coherency (which is also in the longterm interest of our own reputations if we learn from our experience!). mscllc :thumbs:

PS. Or the other solution would be that if the in-book homily numbering were kept, then this would require them being followed by the corresponding in-book titles, for example: "Homily 46 of 99 Homilies... Homily IX of the Easter Homilies, Little Speech", etc, according to the groupings by liturgical season to which this sub-numbering pertains. We are confronting the principle challenge of audio book recording: the listener only hears, but is unable to see the subdivisions made in the table of contents, or other structures which are otherwise visible in the text formatting, etc. (but properly speaking, Thomas Aquinas never "numbered" any of these homilies, that is the arbitrary result of editorial choice for practical purposes, not unlike LibriVox needing to codify its sections in a universally "sequential" way amiable to computer file labeling, but therefore irrespective of the un-mathematical particularities of human reasoning reflected in book layouts, especially from the more humanistic, pre-Cartesian era...)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mscllc wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 10:49 am Actually, this latest directive now creates confusion for me... :oops:
I was about to record section 10 of this project saying "Homily 10 of 99 homilies" -- but if I apply the counsel just given to yourbookvoice, then I will need to start off by calling it "Homily 1", while she will be saying "Homily 19 of 99 homilies", then calling it "Homily 10" (which is my homily in the LibriVox list!). Multiply that by 99 occurences -- and future listeners might well wonder if that confusion could have been avoided... :shock: (At least I know that Thomas Aquinas lays purposeful claim to order, clarity and economy = avoiding needless repetition and confusion, which we risk to contradict in our acoustic representation.)

Maybe one solution would be to add section 100, his lost homily about Jesus who left the one sheep to find the 99 which were lost?... :lol: :roll:

Sed contra, in the special notes it is stated, "Do read the heading eg: TENTH SUNDAY AFTER TRINITY. (FROM THE GOSPEL.)", etc. :idea:
When I submitted section 45 (which received PL OK at the time), I actually had the same question as yourbookvoice about whether I should follow "Homily 45 of 99 homilies" by the immediate contradiction of calling it "Homily VIII".
So I consulted the special notes, to resolve my problem... :hmm:

Assuming it was desirable to avoid confusion, personally I understood "Do read the heading" to mean "Skip the in-book homily number by starting with the heading and its thematic title (because the LibriVox sections correspond ordinally to the global collection of 99 Homilies in this collation)"... 8-) [ :?: ]

So for my part I will not record, "Homily 10 of 99 homilies Homily 1" until I need to know whether I must also go back and fix the PL OK section 45 to sound like "Homily 45 of 99 Homily 8"... :cry: [In reality, the numbering is abstract and frankly "irrelevant": the headers "eg: TENTH SUNDAY AFTER TRINITY. (FROM THE GOSPEL.)" are what actually contextualize the content which follows in each, because each homily outline corresponds to the pre-established liturgical texts identified thereby.]

Therefore I will hold off here until this is clarified further, because I think we are early enough in the project to achieve desirable, collective coherency (which is also in the longterm interest of our own reputations if we learn from our experience!). mscllc :thumbs:

PS. Or the other solution would be that if the in-book homily numbering were kept, then this would require them being followed by the corresponding in-book titles, for example: "Homily 46 of 99 Homilies... Homily IX of the Easter Homilies, Little Speech", etc, according to the groupings by liturgical season to which this sub-numbering pertains. We are confronting the principle challenge of audio book recording: the listener only hears, but is unable to see the subdivisions made in the table of contents, or other structures which are otherwise visible in the text formatting, etc. (but properly speaking, Thomas Aquinas never "numbered" any of these homilies, that is the arbitrary result of editorial choice for practical purposes, not unlike LibriVox needing to codify its sections in a universally "sequential" way amiable to computer file labeling, but therefore irrespective of the un-mathematical particularities of human reasoning reflected in book layouts, especially from the more humanistic, pre-Cartesian era...)
I see the potential confusion resulting from my initial system and your suggestions make sense. In that case, let's skip the printed homily number. I have updated the instructions in the first post to reflect this.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here are to more from me:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/homilieepistlegospels_07_aquinas_128kb.mp3 7:13
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/homilieepistlegospels_08_aquinas_128kb.mp3 4:08

And, I have listened to Homily 99 which is all good, so you can mark it PL OK
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 1:12 am Here are to more from me:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/homilieepistlegospels_07_aquinas_128kb.mp3 7:13
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/homilieepistlegospels_08_aquinas_128kb.mp3 4:08

Appreciated!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 1:12 am Here are to more from me:

Both PL OK!
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

77: The ten Lepers
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/homilieepistlegospels_77_aquinas_128kb.mp3
Time 8m 25s
Kerry Adams
Your Book Voice
ivobrkn18Harrop

Post by ivobrkn18Harrop »

I am unable to complete this within the required time. Please take my chapter from me. Ivan
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

ivobrkn18Harrop wrote: November 26th, 2022, 9:44 am I am unable to complete this within the required time. Please take my chapter from me. Ivan
Done! You're welcome to try again another time.
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hi IntheDessert,

May I have Sections 11 (The Seekers of the Lord) and Section 50 (Two-Fold Love). I'll be finishing up with another project in the next couple of days, and should have this complete soon after.

Thanks,
Lori
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Lorry wrote: November 26th, 2022, 10:41 pm Hi IntheDessert,

May I have Sections 11 (The Seekers of the Lord) and Section 50 (Two-Fold Love). I'll be finishing up with another project in the next couple of days, and should have this complete soon after.

Thanks,
Lori
Done!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

yourbookvoice wrote: November 25th, 2022, 11:58 am 77: The ten Lepers
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/homilieepistlegospels_77_aquinas_128kb.mp3
Time 8m 25s
Kerry Adams
Your Book Voice
PL OK! Some fascinating allegory here.