[COMPLETE] Il Galateo by Giovanni della Casa - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Galateo : or, A treatise on politeness and delicacy of manners / addressed to a young nobleman, by Giovanni della Casa (1503 - 1556)

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/galateo-by-giovanni-della-casa/

A book on the practice of mannerly behaviour at Court, originally written in Italian but translated into English for the Elizabethan court. (Summary by Timothy Ferguson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000704165

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Early Modern; *Non-fiction/Self-Help
Keywords that describe the book:
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section only, say:
"Part 0 of Galateo : or, A treatise on politeness and delicacy of manners / addressed to a young nobleman. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."]
For subsequent sections, say
"Part # of Galateo, by Giovanni della Casa. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."] [/quote]

End of recording:
Say:
"End of Part #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Galateo : or, A treatise on politeness and delicacy of manners / addressed to a young nobleman, by Giovanni della Casa."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: galateo_##_dellacasa_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. galateo_01_dellacasa_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Timothy Ferguson on November 7th, 2022, 7:58 am, edited 7 times in total.
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

This is such a weird book/topic, how can I resist!

MW coming up in 3...2...

Edit: 1! ;-)

I have shortened the filename and removed the "translated by anonymous" because that doesn't make much sense. I would also suggest to shorten the intro to only use "Galateo" except for the very first intro and the final book outro to make things easier. But that's for you to decide.

Other than that, everything looks good! Good luck with this!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Timothy Ferguson

Hi,

Thanks for the setup Availle!

One of the confusing things is this book calls its chapters "sections". In our standard template we use "section" to mean a chunk of the book and I thought this might be confusing, which is why I've changed it to say "Title as per Magic Window" in the guide. I hope this means we won't get book sections and project section mixed up.

The book is terribly misbalanced in terms of chapter length. I've tried to chop it up at natural breaks, at subheadings, every twenty to thirty pages. If anyone sees a better method I'm happy to change.

To other readers, two odd features are due to the age of the book. It uses the long s, which looks deceptively like an f. The book has marker words at the end of each page - that is, each page ends with an indication of the word that should start of the next page. Please don't read these, much as you wouldn't read the page numbers.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

First of all, we'll still need the full disclaimer in all sections as this is a group recording.

"This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."

We use the section numbers at the very beginning to make it easy for visually impaired people to check where they are in the book. I get it that this is a special case with confusing chapters and sections, though. Another reader who is facing a similar issue right now has suggested saying

"part x of ... This is a Librivox.... / end of part x"

but this is confusing here as well. :hmm:
How about using the standard intro/outro

"section x of... This is a Librivox... / end of section x"
and calling the actual subdivisions

"part x: title"
where the title is something like "Giving Advice to Pleasant Narrations" or "Introduction" according to the subtitles in the book?

However, at the end of the day, it's your project and not super important which one you choose, as long as you're consistent.

In any case, let's move over to "Readers Wanted". I wish you good luck with this one, old English like this is quite challenging.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Timothy Ferguson

I've changed it over to "part x". We'll see how it goes.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Good evening, Timothy--Can I please give Part 2 (Section 1 - Please read pages 9-26 inclusive) a try? Thanks!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Timothy Ferguson

lubee930 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 6:38 pm Good evening, Timothy--Can I please give Part 2 (Section 1 - Please read pages 9-26 inclusive) a try? Thanks!
Sure! Thanks for kicking us off!
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: October 5th, 2022, 8:10 am
lubee930 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 6:38 pm Good evening, Timothy--Can I please give Part 2 (Section 1 - Please read pages 9-26 inclusive) a try? Thanks!
Sure! Thanks for kicking us off!
Hi Timothy--Well, I have made things confusing with my claim. I am actually claiming (and have already recorded) LV's Section 2 in the MW. LV's MW Section 2 is entitled "Section 1" in the book (and your notes say to read pp. 9-26 inclusive). So my claim needs to be corrected in the MW. I'm sorry that I was unclear. I was trying to use the Intro/Outro designation.

But since we are having this clarification, I want to make sure that I have recorded the Intro correctly. So I should say for my LV MW Section 2:

"Part 2 of Galateo, by Giovanni della Casa. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."--and then continue with the title of the Chapter as such: "Section 1. Examples of indelicacy, offensive to the Senses."

That is the way that I recorded it, so let me know if you intended something different. Again, apologies for the confusion I've caused. (And by the way, this chapter is entirely entertaining and interesting!) Thank you.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Timothy Ferguson

Sorry, I did get the MW wrong. I've tidied it up now.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Here is my Section 02:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/galateo_02_dellacasa_128kb.mp3
24:18

I think that I may have dined with a couple of those characters here or there--! :shock:

Let me know if I need to make any changes. Thank you.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Timothy Ferguson

lubee930 wrote: October 10th, 2022, 5:54 pm Here is my Section 02:

I think that I may have dined with a couple of those characters here or there--! :shock:

That's an absolutely beautiful recording. Thank you so much for it.

We don't have a DPL, but that's perfect, so I'll move it to PL OK.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: October 17th, 2022, 6:35 am
lubee930 wrote: October 10th, 2022, 5:54 pm Here is my Section 02:
That's an absolutely beautiful recording. Thank you so much for it.
We don't have a DPL, but that's perfect, so I'll move it to PL OK.
Thank you for the very kind words, Timothy. I will try to come back for another section when my schedule clears up a bit.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Hi Timothy.
I would like to help with the PL.

Emanuela
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
Timothy Ferguson

Eysiss wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 10:27 am Hi Timothy.
I would like to help with the PL.

Emanuela
Thanks Emanuela! Very glad to have you. 8)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

DPL added. 8-)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com