COMPLETE: Harper's Young People, Vol. 1, Issue 33 -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

JorWat wrote: August 14th, 2022, 5:59 am And here are your notes:

4:51: '&c' in "Part III. Air, Water, Heat, Light, &c" is short for 'et cetera', and probably should be read as such
5:01: '4to' in "Small 4to" is short for 'quarto'
5:54: '8vo' is short for 'octavo'
7:17, 9:23: 'Small 4to' again
10:49 (not required): 'chamois', as in the animal, not the cloth, in "To hunt the ibex successfully is as hard a matter as hunting the chamois" is typically pronounced 'sham-WAH'

Traditionally, '12mo', '16mo' and '18mo' come from 'duodecimo', 'sextodecimo' and 'octodecimo', but 'twelvemo', 'sixteenmo' and 'eighteenmo' are used too, so you don't need to re-record any of those.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll rerecord those lines when I can. I have only ever seen 'et cetera' abbreviated as 'etc' before so didn't recognize '&c', I guess it is an older abbreviation? The others I've never seen before at all, makes a lot more sense though. I know you said it wasn't required but I will also change 'chamois' if that's okay, it wasn't like a personal choice to pronounce it that way I'd just never seen or heard this word before in my life so I googled the pronunciation and if google was wrong I'd rather it just be correct. I'll leave the mo ones but in the future I may use the other versions if I come across these abbreviations again as I think they would sound cooler haha, I'd only heard them as 'Xmo' before
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Inkell wrote: August 14th, 2022, 6:55 am
JorWat wrote: August 14th, 2022, 5:59 am And here are your notes:

4:51: '&c' in "Part III. Air, Water, Heat, Light, &c" is short for 'et cetera', and probably should be read as such
5:01: '4to' in "Small 4to" is short for 'quarto'
5:54: '8vo' is short for 'octavo'
7:17, 9:23: 'Small 4to' again
10:49 (not required): 'chamois', as in the animal, not the cloth, in "To hunt the ibex successfully is as hard a matter as hunting the chamois" is typically pronounced 'sham-WAH'

Traditionally, '12mo', '16mo' and '18mo' come from 'duodecimo', 'sextodecimo' and 'octodecimo', but 'twelvemo', 'sixteenmo' and 'eighteenmo' are used too, so you don't need to re-record any of those.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll rerecord those lines when I can. I have only ever seen 'et cetera' abbreviated as 'etc' before so didn't recognize '&c', I guess it is an older abbreviation? The others I've never seen before at all, makes a lot more sense though. I know you said it wasn't required but I will also change 'chamois' if that's okay, it wasn't like a personal choice to pronounce it that way I'd just never seen or heard this word before in my life so I googled the pronunciation and if google was wrong I'd rather it just be correct. I'll leave the mo ones but in the future I may use the other versions if I come across these abbreviations again as I think they would sound cooler haha, I'd only heard them as 'Xmo' before
Sorry! I usually include an explanation of those "vo" and "mo" notations but forgot to this time. Thanks, Jordan, for your careful DPLing and great explanations!

Jill
Kathie

Post by Kathie »

Hi!
I would like to do Section 2: Cambridge Series of Information Cards for Schools.
Thanks!

--Kathie
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Kathie wrote: August 14th, 2022, 9:36 am Hi!
I would like to do Section 2: Cambridge Series of Information Cards for Schools.
Thanks!

--Kathie
Sounds good! Sorry I missed responding to your first post about this. Thanks for the claim!

Jill
Kathie

Post by Kathie »

Sorry about the repeated posts! Since I'm I'm new, i thought I might have posted it in the wrong place!
--Kathie
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Kathie wrote: August 14th, 2022, 10:11 am Sorry about the repeated posts! Since I'm I'm new, i thought I might have posted it in the wrong place!
--Kathie
Nope, not you! That was my fault. I shouldn't read messages and then not respond right away because then I forget.
davecapper

Post by davecapper »

"I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I refuse not to do the something that I can do." ~ Helen Keller
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

davecapper wrote: August 14th, 2022, 11:30 am This is redone.

Thanks
Dave

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hyp33_01_various_128kb.mp3 (10:57)
:thumbs: Thank you! Jordan will spot check sometime soon.

Jill
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

jillebean wrote: August 14th, 2022, 9:05 am Sorry! I usually include an explanation of those "vo" and "mo" notations but forgot to this time. Thanks, Jordan, for your careful DPLing and great explanations!

Jill
Don't worry about it, anyway here's the correction so unless I missed something it should hopefully be okay now

9: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hyp33_09_various_128kb.mp3
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Inkell wrote: August 15th, 2022, 4:11 am
jillebean wrote: August 14th, 2022, 9:05 am Sorry! I usually include an explanation of those "vo" and "mo" notations but forgot to this time. Thanks, Jordan, for your careful DPLing and great explanations!

Jill
Don't worry about it, anyway here's the correction so unless I missed something it should hopefully be okay now

Thank you!

Jill :)
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

davecapper wrote: August 14th, 2022, 11:30 am This is redone.

Thanks
Dave

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hyp33_01_various_128kb.mp3 (10:57)
Inkell wrote: August 15th, 2022, 4:11 amDon't worry about it, anyway here's the correction so unless I missed something it should hopefully be okay now

Both are PL OK. Though for future reference, I recommend re-recording the sentence that has the correction in, not just the individual word.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

JorWat wrote: August 17th, 2022, 9:12 am Both are PL OK. Though for future reference, I recommend re-recording the sentence that has the correction in, not just the individual word.
Can I ask why?
davecapper

Post by davecapper »

Thank you. I will remember that. All ideas to make it better are always appreciated.
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I refuse not to do the something that I can do." ~ Helen Keller
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Inkell wrote: August 18th, 2022, 7:10 am
JorWat wrote: August 17th, 2022, 9:12 am Both are PL OK. Though for future reference, I recommend re-recording the sentence that has the correction in, not just the individual word.
Can I ask why?
If you re-record just one word, you can get a jarring change for just that word. Breaks the flow of the sentence.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

JorWat wrote: August 18th, 2022, 7:44 am
Inkell wrote: August 18th, 2022, 7:10 am
Can I ask why?
If you re-record just one word, you can get a jarring change for just that word. Breaks the flow of the sentence.
Is it not even more jarring though when the whole sentence sounds different instead of just the one word?