COMPLETE: Harper's Young People, Vol. 1, Issue 33 -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Can I do section 8 and 9? This seems quite interesting
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Inkell wrote: August 9th, 2022, 2:50 pm Can I do section 8 and 9? This seems quite interesting
You can! Thanks for claiming.

Jill
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

I have two questions that probably sound really dumb but I want to make sure I do it right.

1: in one of sections it has some addresses ending in NY meaning New York, should I say NY or New York for these?

2: in one of my sections I also have prices for things (example $1.50) and I wondered what is the best way to say that? Like my instinct would just be to say one-fifty but is that clear enough for listeners who can't see the dollar signs? Is it better one dollar-fifty or even one dollar and fifty cents or some other way I'm not thinking of?
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Inkell wrote: August 10th, 2022, 5:20 am I have two questions that probably sound really dumb but I want to make sure I do it right.

1: in one of sections it has some addresses ending in NY meaning New York, should I say NY or New York for these?

2: in one of my sections I also have prices for things (example $1.50) and I wondered what is the best way to say that? Like my instinct would just be to say one-fifty but is that clear enough for listeners who can't see the dollar signs? Is it better one dollar-fifty or even one dollar and fifty cents or some other way I'm not thinking of?
Hi Inkell! Thanks for your questions! For any state abbreviations you should read out the name of the state. So, in your example, "New York".

For the prices, I would read it as "one dollar and fifty cents" since, as you said, the listener can't see the dollar sign so you'd be removing that bit of information they would have had if they'd been reading the text.

Let me know if you have more questions as the sections you picked are a bit tricky at times. Thanks again!

Jill
davecapper

Post by davecapper »

Another thought I had on this is people worldwide may listen and they may not know abbreviations. So i would say err on the side of caution.
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I refuse not to do the something that I can do." ~ Helen Keller
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Thank you both for the advice and fast response! I had already recorded it prior to asking (I thought it would be a relaxing one to start my recording session) but done several takes of each address/price due to my uncertainty, hopefully I edited it down right but if I got anything wrong let me know so here is one of my sections:

9: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hyp33_09_various_128kb.mp3 (14 mins, 17 secs)
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Inkell wrote: August 10th, 2022, 5:41 pm Thank you both for the advice and fast response! I had already recorded it prior to asking (I thought it would be a relaxing one to start my recording session) but done several takes of each address/price due to my uncertainty, hopefully I edited it down right but if I got anything wrong let me know so here is one of my sections:

9: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hyp33_09_various_128kb.mp3 (14 mins, 17 secs)
Thank you!

Jill
Kathie

Post by Kathie »

Greetings!

I would like to read section 5: The Story of George Washington: Chapter X; An Indian Game; Ship-Building.

Thanks!

--Kathie
ostrichreads

Post by ostrichreads »

I'll take Section 7!
Khiolani

Post by Khiolani »

Hello, May I read Chapter 6?
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Kathie wrote: August 11th, 2022, 11:00 am Greetings!

I would like to read section 5: The Story of George Washington: Chapter X; An Indian Game; Ship-Building.

Thanks!

--Kathie
Hi Kathie,

Yes! You may certainly claim sections 06 and 07. We're glad to have you! I see you have posted your 1-minute test on the Listeners and Editors Wanted board, that's great! It's best if you get feedback there and get your test OK-ed before recording for this project, however since you already have it posted it shouldn't take too long to get to that point in the process.

I have added you to the LibriVox catalog, you can see your catalog page at: https://librivox.org/reader/17749. You can also get to this by clicking on your name in the Magic Window (MW). This is a good place to look to keep track of recordings you've signed up for, to see section details click on the link to "Reader Section Details" which appears just a few lines down from your name. This page includes your forum name "Kathie" and can also contain your real name or a pseudonym, plus a web site/blog if you have one you would like to link to. Let me know if you would like to add a name and/or a web site.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Welcome to LibriVox!

Jill
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

ostrichreads wrote: August 11th, 2022, 11:26 am I'll take Section 7!
It's all yours! Enjoy. :)

Jill
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Khiolani wrote: August 11th, 2022, 2:14 pm Hello, May I read Chapter 6?
You may! Enjoy. :)

Jill
Kathie

Post by Kathie »

Hi!

I would like to read section 2: Cambridge Series of Information Cards for Schools.

Thanks!

--Kathie
Last edited by Kathie on August 14th, 2022, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

davecapper wrote: August 9th, 2022, 10:40 am Total Time 11:27

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hyp33_01_various_128kb.mp3

Thank you.

Dave
Here are your notes:

0:27-0:36: Repetition of 'Charley's Balloon Voyage by Frank H. Taylor'
8:10-8:44: This section isn't needed. You only need to mark the end of a recording, not each chapter within the recording, and the "This is a LibriVox recording..." text is only for the beginning of the recording.
11:01: I'm hearing "had hoped for "a jolly now"" rather than "had hoped for "a jolly row""
11:25: This should probably be "End of Section 1"
Inkell wrote: August 10th, 2022, 5:41 pm Thank you both for the advice and fast response! I had already recorded it prior to asking (I thought it would be a relaxing one to start my recording session) but done several takes of each address/price due to my uncertainty, hopefully I edited it down right but if I got anything wrong let me know so here is one of my sections:

And here are your notes:

4:51: '&c' in "Part III. Air, Water, Heat, Light, &c" is short for 'et cetera', and probably should be read as such
5:01: '4to' in "Small 4to" is short for 'quarto'
5:54: '8vo' is short for 'octavo'
7:17, 9:23: 'Small 4to' again
10:49 (not required): 'chamois', as in the animal, not the cloth, in "To hunt the ibex successfully is as hard a matter as hunting the chamois" is typically pronounced 'sham-WAH'

Traditionally, '12mo', '16mo' and '18mo' come from 'duodecimo', 'sextodecimo' and 'octodecimo', but 'twelvemo', 'sixteenmo' and 'eighteenmo' are used too, so you don't need to re-record any of those.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.