COMPLETE: Scientific American Supplement, No. 446, July 19, 1884 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BrizeCrize wrote: August 8th, 2022, 10:41 am Section 11, Portable Railways, part two, attached. Length 15:08.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_11_various_128kb.mp3

I went with 'pounds' again for that small 'l' symbol, certainly sounds the best. Glad you mentioned 'pence' as well, I had forgotten that they used that for pennies in Britain, sort of a cross between pennies and cents I guess. Unless the PL objects, I think I'll leave it the more archaic 'dinars' from which, I believe, the penny evolved, for now, but will probably switch to 'pence' on future projects.

For an encore, I think I'll skip down and volunteer for Section 20, please, The Anaesthetics of Jugglers.

Thank you,
Brize
Sounds good.
I've put 11 in the MW Ready for PL and assigned you Section 20
Thanks so much!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Portable Railways was an interesting article! Well read too!

In section 10, one suggested fix at 15:37, where text is I think "for 25 miles per day" but was read as "for 2.5 miles per day".

Section 11 is PL OK!

As for the abbreviations, it is not my call (that's between the reader and the BC), but I can confirm that l. is for pound and d. is for pence. "Denarius" is not wrong, as it is the actual Latin word that d. stands for, but "pence" would be more readily understood by the listener. At least the British listener :lol:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Rapunzelina wrote: August 9th, 2022, 7:20 am Portable Railways was an interesting article! Well read too!

In section 10, one suggested fix at 15:37, where text is I think "for 25 miles per day" but was read as "for 2.5 miles per day".

Section 11 is PL OK!

As for the abbreviations, it is not my call (that's between the reader and the BC), but I can confirm that l. is for pound and d. is for pence. "Denarius" is not wrong, as it is the actual Latin word that d. stands for, but "pence" would be more readily understood by the listener. At least the British listener :lol:
Brize, if you would make the correction suggested, and change denarius to pence, I think we would have a winner!
Thanks for your work on these.
~ Larry
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Silverquill wrote: Brize, if you would make the correction suggested, and change denarius to pence, I think we would have a winner!
Revised section 10 attached, now working those Kirghiz horses for 25 miles per day (at 15:37) and paying the lad in pence rather than denarius (at 11:01, 11:10 and 11:17 approx) to push those little wagons 300 yards.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_10_various_128kb.mp3

This project was worth it just to straighten me out on 'pence' which I've been calling "dinars' for the longest time (although sometimes written out as such). I could go to England now and (almost) fit right in! :D

Thannks,
Brize
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Could I do 24? About the habits of burrowing crayfish
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BrizeCrize wrote: August 10th, 2022, 5:43 am
Silverquill wrote: Brize, if you would make the correction suggested, and change denarius to pence, I think we would have a winner!
Revised section 10 attached, now working those Kirghiz horses for 25 miles per day (at 15:37) and paying the lad in pence rather than denarius (at 11:01, 11:10 and 11:17 approx) to push those little wagons 300 yards.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_10_various_128kb.mp3

This project was worth it just to straighten me out on 'pence' which I've been calling "dinars' for the longest time (although sometimes written out as such). I could go to England now and (almost) fit right in! :D

Thannks,
Brize
Sounds good!
British terms for currency are confusing to me. How about / as an abbreviation for shillings?

Anyway, I appreciate your attention to these and have marked it Ready for Spot PL
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Inkell wrote: August 10th, 2022, 5:47 am Could I do 24? About the habits of burrowing crayfish
That would be fine. I've put you in for this section
Thank you!
~ Larry
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Section 20, Anesthetics of Jugglers, attached, in 16:14

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_20_various_128kb.mp3

Less about jugglers than I was expecting, but I guess fakirs are sort of lumped in with jugglers (AND I'm glad I looked up that word rather than using the 'fakers' of my first impression).

I think I'll also volunteer for Section 13 "Automatic...Telegraphy". A little technical for me, but I see that "The trouble began..." in my hometown of Cleveland, so I better check it out.

Thank you,
Brize
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BrizeCrize wrote: August 10th, 2022, 12:00 pm Section 20, Anesthetics of Jugglers, attached, in 16:14

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_20_various_128kb.mp3

Less about jugglers than I was expecting, but I guess fakirs are sort of lumped in with jugglers (AND I'm glad I looked up that word rather than using the 'fakers' of my first impression).

I think I'll also volunteer for Section 13 "Automatic...Telegraphy". A little technical for me, but I see that "The trouble began..." in my hometown of Cleveland, so I better check it out.

Thank you,
Brize
Thank you!
This is in the MW Ready for PL and I've put you in for Section 13.
~ Larry
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Inkell wrote: August 11th, 2022, 6:29 am Okay here is my section:

24: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_24_various_128kb.mp3 (9 mins, 24 secs)
Thank you!
In the MW Ready for PL
Please stay tuned for your report.
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Inkell wrote: August 11th, 2022, 6:29 am Okay here is my section:

24: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_24_various_128kb.mp3 (9 mins, 24 secs)
Lovely reading! Section 24 is PL OK!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Edits on Section 10 are spot PL OK, but overall volume has dropped about 3dB from the original. I would suggest bringing it back up 3dBs, to match the rest of the files better.
Section 20 is PL OK and well done! I think the nature of the content makes this a difficult section :shock:
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Rapunzelina wrote: Edits on Section 10 are spot PL OK, but overall volume has dropped about 3dB from the original. I would suggest bringing it back up 3dBs, to match the rest of the files better.
Well, what a snafu that was! I THINK I inadvertently changed my recording device the other day (I remember thinking "what? what's that? what did I do?") but I'm still getting downright weird readings: replaygain saying it's good, but checker saying it's not. Anyway, I upped the loudness using the 'loudness normalization" tool that I saw Phil extolling the virtues of, and now we're sitting close to 89...without any dreaded "clipping" (Sounds bad, but to be honest I'm not even sure if I could detect a 'clipped' recording by listening to it.).

Checker's good with it now, and I've learned to run it by that little bloodhound, even for seemingly minor changes to the file. Still 19:08.

Thanks,
Brize
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Section 13, Automatic Telegraphy, attached in 15:06 (and with a full 90 db this time - whoosh!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_13_various_128kb.mp3

Happily, the author was able to quell the 'trouble' in Cleveland, but to say it was a complex solution is an understatement (for the layman I mean). MY biggest problem was how to make the myriad references to the diagram clear, and the biggest problem our potential listeners will have is that the references appear to be completely illegible on the diagram (on the copy I used, anyway). If they listen carefully, however, they should get the gist of what he's saying (I think).

Thanks for all the help!
Brize