[COMPLETE] A History of England, Charles Oman-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
paullawleyjones

Post by paullawleyjones »

pattymarie wrote: August 7th, 2022, 3:13 am
paullawleyjones wrote: August 6th, 2022, 3:22 pm In section 2, there is repetition from ~9.44 to ~10.10.
"Still further to the north new Anglian bands seized on the lands north
of the Humber, whence they obtained the name of Northumbrians. They
built up two kingdoms in the old region of the Brigant...

The Northumbrian kingdoms, 547-550."
Then the paragraph starts again. Up until this point also, the sidenotes are not read. After this, they are.

There is a repetition (along with several missing sentences) from ~15.40 to ~16.39.
A generation later, in the year 613, Aethelfrith the Northumbrian, king
of Bernicia and Deira, made a similar advance westward. ...and bade his warriors
cut them all down.
There is a repetition from ~16.58 to ~17.14.
The battles of Chester and Deorham settled the future of Britain; the
Celts became comparatively helpless when they had been cut into three
distinct sections, in Cumbria, Wales, and Damnonia.
There is a repetition from ~18.23 to ~ 18.28.
When the successful chief had conquered a district of Britain...
And again from ~18.44 to ~18.48.
Each of the king's sworn companions, or _gesiths_
If you would like, I can edit these repetitions out and re-upload. I can't add the missing sentences, however. :(
I would greatly appreciate your doing the edits you are able to do. :)
Here's the link to my pCloud folder: http://e.pc.cd/agxotalK (middle-click to open in a new browser tab)

You'll find the original mp3 file, and an Audacity project file (.aup3.) Download them to the same place and open the Audacity project.

I've edited out the repetitions and all the sidenotes (I hope!) I've dropped a Label at 15:12 where the missing sentences are. Any problems, let me know.
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

TrinityTestSite wrote: August 7th, 2022, 3:19 pm Section 70 ready:
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/historyofengland_70_oman.mp3

Length: 16.43
Section 70 is pl ok. Thank you.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

paullawleyjones wrote: August 7th, 2022, 9:31 pm
Here's the link to my pCloud folder: http://e.pc.cd/agxotalK (middle-click to open in a new browser tab)

You'll find the original mp3 file, and an Audacity project file (.aup3.) Download them to the same place and open the Audacity project.
I've edited out the repetitions and all the sidenotes (I hope!) I've dropped a Label at 15:12 where the missing sentences are. Any problems, let me know.
Thank you very much, Paul. It's late as I'm finding this and my mind is rather spacey from turmoil and insufficient sleep at the moment, so I'll look at it tomorrow or in the next few days. I'll pm you to with the instructions for how to assign sections to readers; it's quite simple. God willing, I won't actually be out of connection for very long.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 86 is pl ok. :)
Pattymarie
jenno

Post by jenno »

May I ask a question ?
When naming the files for this recordings are we to omit _128kb.mp3 at the end ? and just use oman.mp3 ??

Cheers

Jennifer
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No, stick to the standard _128kb. I am going to change the old ones before cataloguing so it doesn't really matter as this is a pre _128kb project some of which had not been PLed.

Anne
paullawleyjones

pattymarie wrote: August 7th, 2022, 3:00 pm Section 85 pl notes:

ONLY if you would like to impress your British listeners with the correct pronunciation, you might want to alter your phonetic reading of "viscount" to https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/viscount at 17:41. I'd redo the sentence it's found in rather than the single word which would probably sound choppy and ill matched.

If you don't want to bother, let me know, and I'll mark the file "pl ok."
You might also want to correct your pronunciation of 'fusilier(s)' at 22:39 and 22:43. A correct pronunciation is here.
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
paullawleyjones

JHedrick wrote: July 27th, 2022, 12:12 pm As a descendant of boarder reivers, I cannot say that I am a big fan either. :scotland:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/historyofengland_49_oman.mp3 [17:14]

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/historyofengland_106_oman.mp3 [17:19]
I'm not sure whether this constitutes a significant enough change in the meaning of a sentence, but at ~13:16 I hear "indeterminable," whereas the text says "interminable."

Also (but not significant enough to require changes,) when a British person's or place's name ends in '-ham,' the sound is reduced to '-Əm' (the schwa - Ə - is a short 'uh' sound.) Therefore, Buckingham is pronounced 'BU-king-Əm.'
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think there is a sufficient difference between the meaning of indeterminable and interminable to need changing.
However how people say their names and place names does not need changing. As they are spelled is OK.

Anne
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Could I take 60-62?

Also is 42 mislabeled? I don't want to claim it but I notice it says it's PL okay despite no link to the file or reader listed
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

paullawleyjones wrote: August 9th, 2022, 1:09 am
pattymarie wrote: August 7th, 2022, 3:00 pm Section 85 pl notes:

ONLY if you would like to impress your British listeners with the correct pronunciation, you might want to alter your phonetic reading of "viscount" to https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/viscount at 17:41. I'd redo the sentence it's found in rather than the single word which would probably sound choppy and ill matched.

If you don't want to do that, let me know, and I'll mark the file "pl ok."
You might also want to correct your pronunciation of 'fusilier(s)' at 22:39 and 22:43. A correct pronunciation is here.
Paul, I greatly appreciate your work on my file, but you are not the dpl for the entire project. We really aren't supposed to correct pronunciation. I only mentioned the mispronunciation that I did because it's one that often draws laughter from people "who know," and I stressed that correcting it was entirely optional. On most projects the following notice appears above the magic window: "Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!" I don't know why it is missing on this project, but I would appreciate that request being respected. Thank you.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Inkell wrote: August 9th, 2022, 2:46 am Could I take 60-62?

Also is 42 mislabeled? I don't want to claim it but I notice it says it's PL okay despite no link to the file or reader listed
You've been assigned 60 - 61. Thank you for taking them and for pointing out the problem with section 42. I"ll comb the past few pages to see if it was uploaded and I forgot to put the url in the mw. :roll:
Pattymarie
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There is no 42 in my folder. Anne
paullawleyjones

pattymarie wrote: August 9th, 2022, 4:06 pm ... but I would appreciate that request being respected. Thank you.
Please accept my apologies for causing trouble.
pattymarie wrote: August 9th, 2022, 4:06 pm ... but you are not the dpl for the entire project.
Could I be? It would take pressure off annise, who probably has enough to do already, and, as this is a history of my country, there is an emotional connection for me, which is probably why I'm being an arse about it. :oops:
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

paullawleyjones wrote: August 9th, 2022, 5:11 pm
pattymarie wrote: August 9th, 2022, 4:06 pm ... but I would appreciate that request being respected. Thank you.
Please accept my apologies for causing trouble.
pattymarie wrote: August 9th, 2022, 4:06 pm ... but you are not the dpl for the entire project.
Could I be? It would take pressure off annise, who probably has enough to do already, and, as this is a history of my country, there is an emotional connection for me, which is probably why I'm being an arse about it. :oops:
Thank you, Paul. I was doing the proof listening myself except for my own files to come, but I will turn the dpl duties over to you since my life has been turned upside down and I'm having to move house utterly unexpectedly. "Word perfect" proofing, i.e. following with the text, isn't required. Standard listening is okay. Also missing from the template for this project is the link to the guidelines for proof listeners https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners
=
Don't call yourself an "arse." I can be waspish. I understand the emotional connection; I'm an Anglo-American and love my heritage country.

My files that are up were proofed by an admin while I was trying to do the project solo. I suspect that in the process of changing the intros from the abbreviated form permissible after the first section in so lo projects I must have pasted the new, full intro for section two into an old file I had hanging about rather than the final one proofed and corrected a long time ago that I downloaded for the purpose.

Welcome aboard, and thanks for taking the pressure off of me.

Anne, would you put Paul in as dpl, please.
Pattymarie