COMPLETE: The American Newspaper, by Will Irwin -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rlmorel

Post by rlmorel »

Hm. No, that isn't it. Let me take a look. I will go back and look at the file. It was my first attempt, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are flaws. I think until I get the hang of it, I will have to make a practice of listening to it end to end, which I suspect more experienced people do anyway. Thanks for taking the time to listen, I will see what I can do...much appreciated.
rlmorel

Post by rlmorel »

Just worthless.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi. I've downloaded the file, opened it in the software program I use to record and reexported it to mp3. This mp3 opens in Audacity, so you should be able to make the necessary edits. Here is the new link -

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americannewspaper_04_irwin_128kb.mp3

Hope this helps.
Jo
ioncohen

Post by ioncohen »

I would like to read sections 2 and 3
rlmorel

Post by rlmorel »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 28th, 2022, 10:35 pm Hi. I've downloaded the file, opened it in the software program I use to record and reexported it to mp3. This mp3 opens in Audacity, so you should be able to make the necessary edits. Here is the new link -

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americannewspaper_04_irwin_128kb.mp3

Hope this helps.
That comment I posted was not directed at anyone here or Librivox...I was extremely frustrated because no matter how hard I have tried, I cannot get Audacity to work at all, and I have literally spent days working on it.

I really want to do this and feel I can contribute, because audiobooks are near and dear to my heart for going on a few decades due to eye problems, but I need to find a way around this, so I am looking for a software program that I can import the file into and export it from to remedy this "malformed file" problem-can you tell me what program you use? I am on a Mac, but if the software is Windows only, I can use that too.

I already went through that first file and re-recorded sections of it, and it sounds better with fewer gaps and stutters, but I am not going to upload it until I figure out how to get these working correctly on my own.

I had to smile, though...I was so impressed that someone listened to my recording far more carefully than I did, and that was the first lengthy recording I did using my new software, and...I didn't have the process down for stopping and starting when I made a mistake, stuttered, or mispronounced a word, and I had a dozen files to stitch together at the end which was far more difficult. I resolved on my second recording to edit it on the fly as I went, and that process was far less confusing and taxing.

I also learned I have to listen carefully to the length of my recording to review it for flaws...something I will do.

Thank you for your help in this.
rlmorel

Post by rlmorel »

I did find a utility that does what I need and makes it so it can be imported into Audacity. I dislike that Rube Goldberg approach, but...it did work so I may proceed until I can get the issue with Audacity fixed.

May I ask a question-if I have to re-upload a file after editing, is there a process to that I should follow? Do I have to contact the MC or someone else to remove the old one, or do I just re-upload with the same file name and replace the one that already exists on the Librivox servers?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Just upload with the exact same filename. That way the link in the MW always stays the same. The old file is not replaced. It is automatically renamed by appending the date and time of the new file upload. So it can be recovered if someone accidentally uploads a file with the wrong section number. All the uploaded files get cleaned up off the server after the files are validated and the project is cataloged. Whenever you upload a file, just post the link and time in the project so the BC/DPL knows there is a new version.
Jo
sati

Post by sati »

Ch 5 is PL OK!
rlmorel

Post by rlmorel »

rlmorel wrote: June 29th, 2022, 6:22 am I did find a utility that does what I need and makes it so it can be imported into Audacity. I dislike that Rube Goldberg approach, but...it did work so I may proceed until I can get the issue with Audacity fixed.

May I ask a question-if I have to re-upload a file after editing, is there a process to that I should follow? Do I have to contact the MC or someone else to remove the old one, or do I just re-upload with the same file name and replace the one that already exists on the Librivox servers?
Perfect. Thank you for the info.
sati

Post by sati »

rlmorel wrote: June 28th, 2022, 5:54 pm [...]It was my first attempt, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are flaws. I think until I get the hang of it, I will have to make a practice of listening to it end to end, which I suspect more experienced people do anyway. Thanks for taking the time to listen, I will see what I can do...much appreciated.
Hey rlmorel
Your reading is great! There weren't any "flaws" per se just minor technical glitches which we all face. Don't be so hard on yourself. I wouldn't have guessed this is your first attempt at recording(?)
I was extremely frustrated because no matter how hard I have tried, I cannot get Audacity to work at all, and I have literally spent days working on it.
I am really sorry you had to go through all the trouble alone.

I really want to do this and feel I can contribute, because audiobooks are near and dear to my heart for going on a few decades due to eye problems, but I need to find a way around this, so I am looking for a software program that I can import the file into and export it from to remedy this "malformed file" problem-can you tell me what program you use?
Absolutely! I enjoyed listening to you and pretty darn sure many would! I found a web link which offers some way around this file issue. Hope it helps in some way
https://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Opening_malformed_MP3_files

I tried my hands on the recording too and used an audio converter. The result was that I was able to open the recording in Audacity but it wasn't mono (1 channel) instead it was stereo... so I don't know sorry.

There is also a #Need Help? Got Advice?(viewforum.php?f=23) forum where you can discuss any issue you face and there will be many people who would help you in figuring it out.
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

ioncohen wrote: June 28th, 2022, 11:03 pm I would like to read sections 2 and 3
Sections have been assigned, thank you
rlmorel

Post by rlmorel »

Hi Team,
I have re-uploaded Part 4 after editing it to fix some issues.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americannewspaper_04_irwin_128kb_mp3.mp3

Duration: 28:27
sati

Post by sati »

rlmorel wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 7:43 pm Hi Team,
I have re-uploaded Part 4 after editing it to fix some issues.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americannewspaper_04_irwin_128kb_mp3.mp3

Duration: 28:27
Hi rlmorel
I listened to the recording and I am afraid that this recording still has the same issues, maybe you have sent the wrong file ?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

May I have section 8?
Jo
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: July 6th, 2022, 3:55 pm May I have section 8?
Assigned, thanks!