~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
lucquardo

Post by lucquardo »

May I please claim sections 3 and 4?

Is there a standard protocol for reading footnotes? I presume you read them immediately as they occur in the main text, but do you say “footnote” or anything like that?
Thanks
Luke
"Nothing in this world may be clung to blamelessly"
King Mongkut (Rama IV)
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

lucquardo wrote: June 25th, 2022, 6:51 pm May I please claim sections 3 and 4?

Is there a standard protocol for reading footnotes? I presume you read them immediately as they occur in the main text, but do you say “footnote” or anything like that?
Hello Luke!
Thanks for claiming, they are yours. Yes, before reading the footnote say: "Footnote", when ended say: "End of footnote" (leave a short pause like 1-2 seconds after), and continue reading the main text.
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
lucquardo

Post by lucquardo »

Here is section 3
Duration 14:56

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/ukraine_03_raffalovich_128kb.mp3

This is my third ever recording, so I am still very grateful for any CC, on any aspect.
Including (but not limited to):
1) I'm finding it hard to get up to the required dB (having used Loudness Normalization, Dynamic Compression and Amplify effects) without the background noise becoming a bit noticeable. Basically, my recording doesn't sound as good to me as most others I listen to!
2) is there a protocol for reading quotes within the text, such as saying "quote" and "end quote"? I was inconsistent on this, the short quotes I did not do so, one longer one I did. I will fix this if there is a preferred protocol.

Thanks!
Luke
King Mongkut (Rama IV)
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

lucquardo wrote: June 26th, 2022, 1:58 am This is my third ever recording, so I am still very grateful for any CC, on any aspect.
Including (but not limited to):
1) I'm finding it hard to get up to the required dB (having used Loudness Normalization, Dynamic Compression and Amplify effects) without the background noise becoming a bit noticeable. Basically, my recording doesn't sound as good to me as most others I listen to!
Do you use Noise Cleaning? Also note by the link that it is better to use light noise removal twice than once with hard characteristics. I usually use Normalization, then light noise removal twice, then Compression (without checking amplifying compensation box). Usually after this the volume needs to be amplified.

P.S. as you've already done all the rest, I think that Noise Cleaning is the one left to do, and to reduce volume a bit (by 2 dB) with Amplifying after that as I see it is 91,1 dB right now.
lucquardo wrote: June 26th, 2022, 1:58 am 2) is there a protocol for reading quotes within the text, such as saying "quote" and "end quote"? I was inconsistent on this, the short quotes I did not do so, one longer one I did. I will fix this if there is a preferred protocol.
It may differ for BCs, but I think this is the general way. I accept it.
~Anastasiia
lucquardo

Post by lucquardo »

Here is section 4
duration 17:03

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/ukraine_04_raffalovich_128kb.mp3

Thank you for the Noise Cleaning advice. I have applied it and hopefully the results are a bit better, although to me it sounds oddly "loud". Not background noise, just generally loud.

At one point in the text there is a Latin poem. I read it verbatim, but did not add a translation of my own (there was not one in the text, but it is pretty easy to translate with Google). I know the archaic notion was that simple Greek & Latin would be included without translation, but would it be better for me to add a translation? As I listener I would prefer that myself. And I'm happy to add if that is preferred.

At another point (the footnote on p.29) there is a Russian proverb, which I attempted to read verbatim. My Russian/Ukrainan is absolutely minimal (despite 6 months in Odessa) and if there was a native speaker who could correct that bit (starting at 3:11) I would be very grateful and will insert the corrected recording. Failing that the listener will have to endure my awful attempt!
Thanks
Luke
King Mongkut (Rama IV)
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

lucquardo wrote: June 27th, 2022, 1:25 am Here is section 4
duration 17:03
Hello Luke!
Despite all the desire to add the translation and how good it would be to have it, we can't do it if it isn't in the book.

Concerning Russian proverb I'll listen to it and tell you what I think. Greetings from Odesa :)
~Anastasiia
lucquardo

Post by lucquardo »

ShiNeko wrote: June 27th, 2022, 2:09 am Hello Luke!
Despite all the desire to add the translation and how good it would be to have it, we can't do it if it isn't in the book.

Concerning Russian proverb I'll listen to it and tell you what I think. Greetings from Odesa :)
Oh wow! Hi Anistasiia! I thought from your location "pearl by the sea" that you might be in Odesa. I remember it so fondly, from 20 years ago. When I get nostalgic I listen to Mark Bernes singing Shalandi Polnye Kifali in YouTube. I really hope that you and your family are managing ok despite everything awful :( Summer is still summer and Shevchenko park will bloom regardless of what humans do.
King Mongkut (Rama IV)
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

lucquardo wrote: June 27th, 2022, 2:31 am Oh wow! Hi Anistasiia! I thought from your location "pearl by the sea" that you might be in Odesa. I remember it so fondly, from 20 years ago. When I get nostalgic I listen to Mark Bernes singing Shalandi Polnye Kifali in YouTube. I really hope that you and your family are managing ok despite everything awful :( Summer is still summer and Shevchenko park will bloom regardless of what humans do.
Thanks to our gloryful army and the help from friendly countries, our air defense in Odesa and its region is strong now.💪🏼But it pains me to hear and read about the regions at the front lines and which are temporary occupied. 😢 Also thanks to Mykolaiv it is relatively quiet in Odesa and its region, only missiles. If you know the following proverb: "Odesa - mama, Rostov - papa", so now we say here that Odesa got a divorce with Rostov in 2014 and got married to Mykolaiv in 2022, falling in love with its prowess. :lol:

This is my favorite park here and it is green as always. Only no beach and no sea this summer, but there are desperate ones regardless of what they are told.
~Anastasiia
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

lucquardo wrote: June 27th, 2022, 1:25 am At another point (the footnote on p.29) there is a Russian proverb, which I attempted to read verbatim. My Russian/Ukrainan is absolutely minimal (despite 6 months in Odessa) and if there was a native speaker who could correct that bit (starting at 3:11) I would be very grateful and will insert the corrected recording. Failing that the listener will have to endure my awful attempt!
Hello Luke! I've listened to the proverb. The transliteration is a bit off in the book and has a typo. It should be: "Byegstvo khot' nietchestno da zdorovo." In nietchestno the second 't' is short and almost unheard to the point you can actually ignore it while reading, it should be somewhat like: nietchesna ('o' becames 'a' at the end). You did great saying 'byegstvo'. :) If you think that it will be helpful to you to listen to it, I can record this proverb for you to listen so you could repeat it in your recording.
~Anastasiia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hi, Luke!
For Section 3, I added a bit more noise reduction and marked it PL OK'
It is true that the volume for both sections is a bit loud, but still within our acceptable range.
The noise level for Section 4 is much better, but there are a few notes I have for you.

Five seconds at beginning with noise (Please cut it to between .5 - 1.0

Actually, there are in both recordings noises in some of the gaps and what sound like "mike bumps" where the microphone is bumped or otherwise disturbed. Just something to pay attention to. Some of these can be edited out easily, so I've listed some of them below.

0:22 “sss” to cut
:29-:30 noise to cut
Mike bumps to cut 1:49, 3:15, 3:35, 3:52, 8:33, 10:07,10:38, 11:52,15:44
10:53 stumble “ to … to Kiev”

Overall, your recordings are quite excellent! I can't comment on any of the foreign language portions. Although, I'm familiar with several, Russian or Ukrainian are not among them.

Hint on edits: Start at the end, and work forward so that the time references remain the same.

Upload you corrected file, and post length with new file length.

These chapters are so important!!!!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Hi, could I claim section 5?
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Kristingj wrote: June 29th, 2022, 2:20 am Hi, could I claim section 5?
Hi! Definitely.
~Anastasiia
lucquardo

Post by lucquardo »

ShiNeko wrote: June 27th, 2022, 11:33 pm Hello Luke! I've listened to the proverb. The transliteration is a bit off in the book and has a typo. It should be: "Byegstvo khot' nietchestno da zdorovo." In nietchestno the second 't' is short and almost unheard to the point you can actually ignore it while reading, it should be somewhat like: nietchesna ('o' becames 'a' at the end). You did great saying 'byegstvo'. :) If you think that it will be helpful to you to listen to it, I can record this proverb for you to listen so you could repeat it in your recording.
Hi Anisatsiia, sorry for the long delay replying. It would be wonderful if you could record yourself reading the proverb! I would not trust my pronunciation reading, but I would trust it myself repeating a native speaker. Is there an easy way to send me a small recording? Thanks so much!
Luke
King Mongkut (Rama IV)