COMPLETE: Wisdom's Daughter by H. Rider Haggard -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

Wisdom's Daughter, by H. Rider Haggard (1856 - 1925)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/wisdoms-daughter-by-h-rider-haggard/

Original abandoned solo thread here
A strange manuscript in an unknown language is found among the effects of the late Professor Horace Holly. As it is translated, its finders discover that while in Central Asia during the events of Ayesha: the Return of She, Holly convinced the immortal Ayesha, also known as She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, to write her story - and this is the book they have found.
Ayesha, born the daughter of a sheikh in the 4th century BCE, has no interest in the arranged marriage expected of her. She wants power and position of her own. Led by a vision to believe she is the daughter of Isis, she studies esoteric wisdom under the tutelage of the mystic Noot, but her beauty and intelligence make her a constant target in a world where women are still considered little better than possessions. To survive, she must rely on her wits (and perhaps a little divine intervention) in a series of daring escapes and desperate schemes, finding allies where she can. But as she climbs higher in the service of her goddess, a fateful meeting with the warrior-turned-priest Kallikrates leads her down a road even she would never have imagined. The fourth and final book in the She series. (Summary by Jennie Hughes)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59422

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction; Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Wisdom's Daughter. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Wisdom's Daughter, by H. Rider Haggard. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Wisdom's Daughter, by H. Rider Haggard."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: wisdomsdaughter_##_haggard_128kb.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. wisdomsdaughter_01_haggard_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Krista
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

To potential MCs - I would like to adopt this abandoned project: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84621
Krista
sati

Post by sati »

I'd love to be the DPL for this book if you need one.
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

sati wrote: January 26th, 2022, 10:01 am I'd love to be the DPL for this book if you need one.
That would be wonderful. Once we have an MC, I'll make sure you are added as DPL.
Krista
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I can MC this for you. Give me a minute to add the existing MW to your post.
Jo
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 26th, 2022, 1:29 pm I can MC this for you. Give me a minute to add the existing MW to your post.
Thanks Jo, that's great! Is there anything else I need to do, before we move this over to Readers Wanted?
Krista
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

No, I think we are all set. I was just moving the files over to my folder on the server and renaming the existing files. :)
Jo
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 26th, 2022, 1:46 pm No, I think we are all set. I was just moving the files over to my folder on the server and renaming the existing files. :)
Sorry, I didn't mean to rush you. I'm kinda new, but my first BC (a solo project) is chugging along nicely, so I hope I won't be too much of a headache for you :)
Krista
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I'm sure you will do fine. I'm around if you need help or advice.
Jo
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 26th, 2022, 1:46 pm No, I think we are all set. I was just moving the files over to my folder on the server and renaming the existing files. :)
Should this project be continued here or on the existing project thread? :hmm: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84621 We generally keep it all in the same thread, so I thought I'd check. Maybe you have a reason I can't see. :)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Since the new BC had already posted it as a collab in the LaunchPad, I thought it would be easier to just link the MW in the new post so we didn't have to redo the top post in this thread. I don't know that it really matters, one way or the other, but if you feel strongly about it, we can merge the two threads.

Also if you would prefer to continue as MC, I'm good with that too. :)
Jo
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I don't mind either way, just curious. I'm happy to leave things as they are. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh, that does make me question, though... What to do with the old thread? We don't want to stick it back in Abandoned, because it should stay publicly visible. Maybe they should be merged, then, just so that it isn't wandering off loose somewhere?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

For now, I've added a link to this thread at the top of the old solo thread and vice versa to the first post of this one. Once the project is completed, we can move both threads to Completed Projects.
Jo
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

:thumbs: