Complete [Scifi] Beyond the Vanishing Point-by Ray Cummings-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

copyhatter wrote: January 20th, 2022, 2:49 pm I'd be willing to read/claim chapter 7.
Welcome to the project! Thanks!
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

czandra wrote: January 20th, 2022, 8:33 am thank you for your attention. re-uploaded at 19:57
I don't hear the tinny sound, though I deamplified some of the more exclamatory bits.
Cz
Thanks, PL OK now.
I still hear the background sound (13:48, to give you one specific example, in the space between words here it is clear). But I don't think you need to do anything for this section. Just hoping you might be able to ID the source so you can avoid it in the future.
Krista
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

Well, that was kind of icky, wasn't it? Nice reading, though. I just found one small thing.
3:20 - I hear "gave a vast convulsive lunge" -> Text reads "gave a last convulsive lunge"
Krista
czandra

Post by czandra »

Hi. I've re-uploaded section 5 twice with correction, but the link still has "vast". I don't know where the new uploads go.

Cz
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
czandra

Post by czandra »

kristakz wrote: January 20th, 2022, 8:13 pm

Thanks, PL OK now.
I still hear the background sound (13:48, to give you one specific example, in the space between words here it is clear).
Yes, I picked up that sound. I'm so used to it I hardly hear it anymore. It's my computer fan. I usually do a noise reduction to control it, but I understand the only way I can get around it is to use an external mic. Not there yet.

Thanks. Czandra

kristakz

Post by kristakz »

czandra wrote: January 21st, 2022, 1:42 am Hi. I've re-uploaded section 5 twice with correction, but the link still has "vast". I don't know where the new uploads go.

Cz
If you use the same name it replaces the original, but you are right, I still hear vast. Are you sure it is uploading correctly? Make sure you get the hyperlink after the upload (if you got logged out, it looks like it's uploading and then gives a weird error at the end, so you may need to log in again.)
Krista
czandra

Post by czandra »

I found the problem. I had two dots in the title before mp3. The link should now contain the new version.

Czandra

kristakz

Post by kristakz »

czandra wrote: January 21st, 2022, 6:49 am I found the problem. I had two dots in the title before mp3. The link should now contain the new version.

Czandra
Perfect, thanks! PL OK now.
Krista
copyhatter

Post by copyhatter »

Here is chapter 7, let me know if this one's good.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/beyondthevanishingpoint_07_cummings_128kb.mp3
Length - 17:15
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

copyhatter wrote: January 21st, 2022, 2:42 pm Here is chapter 7, let me know if this one's good.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/beyondthevanishingpoint_07_cummings_128kb.mp3
Thanks. I will put in line for PL
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

copyhatter wrote: January 21st, 2022, 2:42 pm Here is chapter 7, let me know if this one's good.
Thank you very much for your reading. I hear a number of stumbles in the reading, which should be editted. Please see the notes below. There were a few less obvious ones which I did not mention, but in general, you should aim to edit out/correct any stumbles during your reading/editing process.

00:25 - I hear "under our heads", text says "over our heads"
00:33 - I hear "become", text says "became"
00:58 - please remove the stutter/repetition of "gigantic"
1:36 - I hear "scurried about", text says "scurried aboard"
1:44 - I hear "To Polter, his men were eight or nine inches tall", text says "To Polter and his men we were eight or nine inches tall."
2:24 - I hear "bow" (rhymes with mow), but it should be "bow" (rhymes with how)
2:50 - "boots of the seated helmsmen" -please remove the stutter on this word ("hell- helmsmen")
3:54 - "Glora whispered" - please remove the stutter on Glora
7:42 - can you re-record this sentence without the stumbles "I had stopped to see what it was my foot kicked against!"
8:33 - I hear "indiscriminately", text says "indescribably"
9:54 - "metal-wrought couch " - please remove the stutter on "couch"
11:38 - "Only the rhythmic sway " - please remove the stutter on "rhythmic"
15:18 - I hear "one remaining <b>partiality</b> used pellet", text says "one remaining partially used pellet"
15:34 - I hear "when Polter would<b> see</b> the cage ", text says "when Polter would set the cage"
15:50 - repeated content - This was the first movement This was the first moment I had had
16:30 - I hear "delinqueshing", text says "as I held its crumbling, <b>deliquescing</b> fragments" Here's a pronounciation guide if you need it https://www.definitions.net/pronounce/DELIQUESCING
Krista
mathemagic

Post by mathemagic »

brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

mathemagic wrote: January 21st, 2022, 10:57 pm Here's my recording for chapter 2!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/beyondthevanishingpoint_02_cummings_128kb.mp3

12:24
Thanks! I will enter it for PL.
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

mathemagic wrote: January 21st, 2022, 10:57 pm Here's my recording for chapter 2!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/beyondthevanishingpoint_02_cummings_128kb.mp3

12:24
Thanks very much for your reading. There are just a few minor points.

1:54 - I hear "there was a little reflection", text says "there was little reflection"
8:25 - "and larger" sounds much louder than the surrounding words. Can you de-amplify that a bit?
12:10 - I hear "I am Gloria", text says "I am Glora"
Krista
njgorgen

Post by njgorgen »

Hi! Can I take chap 10? Nancy