COMPLETE [GROUP/RELIGION, with 3 DR dialogues] Later Treatises of Saint Athanasius, Archbishop of Alexandria-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I've had the third dialogue sitting here for a final edit, so here it is as best as I can do. Let me know if you want the places near the end where the text says he reads from, etc. treated differently, or anything else, even of a minor nature that you would like changed.

I submitted dialog 2 as section 12, so I've labeled this as 13 to avoid confusion.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/latertreatises_13_athanasius_128kb.flac
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

And the moment has arrived. The last dialogue has been edited and is ready for PLing. I think I'd suggest a PLer reads along with the text for this one.
nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

Thanks for the offer. I'll have a go at PLing this today.
Noel
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

Thank you for this opportunity. As this is my first PL experience, I may not get everything as you may wish, but I've tried.
First, congratulations to you both for your dedication and scholarship. I don't know who might be interested in hearing this document (it wouldn't be me, in normal circumstances!), but you have done a fine job of making Athanasius' thoughts accessible to a listener.
A couple of my comment are "nit-picking," and a couple are the kind you need to hear, I think. Here goes:

> It seems as if you're trying to pronounce the title word "Impassibilis" with almost equal stress on all syllables. I'd emphasize the third syllable: impas-sí-bilis. Might be wrong!

> the speaker identified as O is described as "Orthodox" but I didn't hear an identification of E.

>p. 213 top, ~4:25 (nitpicking for sure): I had difficulty getting the gist of this sentence, and think it would help if you emphasized as follows: "Are not those who teach vice or virtue worthy of greater punishment or reward than those who learn of them?"

> There are a few instances of very slight amendments in wording (saying "later" instead of "after" p. 219, 16:30) that I have chosen to ignore. I only mention it because you are obviously dedicated to accuracy.

> p.223, 25:25: O speaks over E at "I know that narrative." An editing slip, I'm sure.

> p. 223, 26:15: I couldn't hear the 'of' in "What did the first of apostles say..." Could affect the meaning.

> p. 224, 26:50 (not sure of the second): E says the line of O "So too, Ezekiel saw the souls...", and later O repeats it. E's line should be edited out.

> p. 224, 27:28: O talks over E "If you ask a man" and it isn't corrected...

> p. 226, 32:20: I would accent a different syllable in two of those scholars' names, but this may be UK vs. North American, or I may be wrong: Hip-pól-y-tus and Dám-a-sus

> p. 227 34:00: one E line is omitted: "I admire that man's thoughts and conceptions."

Wonderful work, men. The dialogue format is a great help. But it's still hard to imagine who might want to make use of this.

best regards
Noel Cooper
nhcooper
nhpcoop@yahoo.ca
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

nhcooper wrote: January 10th, 2022, 2:20 pm Thank you for this opportunity. As this is my first PL experience, I may not get everything as you may wish, but I've tried.
First, congratulations to you both for your dedication and scholarship. I don't know who might be interested in hearing this document (it wouldn't be me, in normal circumstances!), but you have done a fine job of making Athanasius' thoughts accessible to a listener.
A couple of my comment are "nit-picking," and a couple are the kind you need to hear, I think. Here goes:

> It seems as if you're trying to pronounce the title word "Impassibilis" with almost equal stress on all syllables. I'd emphasize the third syllable: impas-sí-bilis. Might be wrong!

> the speaker identified as O is described as "Orthodox" but I didn't hear an identification of E.

>p. 213 top, ~4:25 (nitpicking for sure): I had difficulty getting the gist of this sentence, and think it would help if you emphasized as follows: "Are not those who teach vice or virtue worthy of greater punishment or reward than those who learn of them?"

> There are a few instances of very slight amendments in wording (saying "later" instead of "after" p. 219, 16:30) that I have chosen to ignore. I only mention it because you are obviously dedicated to accuracy.

> p.223, 25:25: O speaks over E at "I know that narrative." An editing slip, I'm sure.

> p. 223, 26:15: I couldn't hear the 'of' in "What did the first of apostles say..." Could affect the meaning.

> p. 224, 26:50 (not sure of the second): E says the line of O "So too, Ezekiel saw the souls...", and later O repeats it. E's line should be edited out.

> p. 224, 27:28: O talks over E "If you ask a man" and it isn't corrected...

> p. 226, 32:20: I would accent a different syllable in two of those scholars' names, but this may be UK vs. North American, or I may be wrong: Hip-pól-y-tus and Dám-a-sus

> p. 227 34:00: one E line is omitted: "I admire that man's thoughts and conceptions."

Wonderful work, men. The dialogue format is a great help. But it's still hard to imagine who might want to make use of this.

best regards
Noel Cooper
nhcooper
nhpcoop@yahoo.ca
Many many thanks. I will look into all your suggestions!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Let me know if there is anything I need to correct.
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

nhcooper wrote: January 10th, 2022, 2:20 pm Thank you for this opportunity. As this is my first PL experience, I may not get everything as you may wish, but I've tried.
Ok, I've worked through these and made some changes. I didn't change the more minor ones where the meaning wasn't really changed. Could you spot check it for me (just need to jump to the timestamp and check that the change is correct). Shouldn't take more than a minute.

0:32 impas-sí-bilis
25:25 O speaks over E at "I know that narrative."
26:50 E says the line of O "So too, Ezekiel saw the souls...", and later O repeats it. E's line should be edited out.
27:19 O talks over E "If you ask a man" and it isn't corrected...
34:00 one E line is omitted: "I admire that man's thoughts and conceptions."

Thanks for your kind words Noel. Those were some superb PL notes for a first-time PLer. Great job and glad to have you join us here at Librivox.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

InTheDesert wrote: January 11th, 2022, 7:32 am
Ok, I've worked through these and made some changes. I didn't change the more minor ones where the meaning wasn't really changed. Could you spot check it for me (just need to jump to the timestamp and check that the change is correct). Shouldn't take more than a minute.

0:32 impas-sí-bilis
25:25 O speaks over E at "I know that narrative."
26:50 E says the line of O "So too, Ezekiel saw the souls...", and later O repeats it. E's line should be edited out.
27:19 O talks over E "If you ask a man" and it isn't corrected...
34:00 one E line is omitted: "I admire that man's thoughts and conceptions."

Thanks for your kind words Noel. Those were some superb PL notes for a first-time PLer. Great job and glad to have you join us here at Librivox.
As requested in PM, I've done the spot checks above and find them OK

Great to hear this as a dialogue, fitting together nicely!
~ Larry
nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

First, I'm very sorry that it has taken me so long to reply to your request. I guess this is the effect of my being a newbie, because I didn't see your response of Jan 10 until today, Jan. 13. I think the problem was that I didn't check the box "Notify me when a reply is posted." Today, I went searching to see if there had been any developments.
I'm glad my contribution was helpful.
I've done the spot check, and everything seems to be fine now. I noticed after I sent my first comments that the line at 34:00 that was omitted, was actually included as the last line of the tape, so I'm glad that you noticed that and re-placed it where it should have been.
This project has many enthusiastic participants (I never knew that St. Athanasius had so many devotees)!
Best wishes
Noel
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: February 19th, 2021, 3:10 pm ITD,
I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Thanks so much everybody! At this juncture we can request the presence of MaryAnn who will guide this project after its long journey into the catalogue!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/later-treatises-by-athanasius-of-alexandria/