[Complete] Four Masters of Etching, by Frederick Wedmore - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Last night I came home from my second covid shot. Finally I made a start on my chapter. Well, I tried to until the Audacity 3.1.2 version crashed; I had no crashes with the version 2X ones. Let me get used to it; it is probably better but some things like the volume slider are wacky. I liked the old volume slider version with a number.

I might end up doing more chapters in this because no body seems to want to claim them; art history doesn't seem to attract people. All the chapters are good. For the moment I will just stick to this one on Whistler.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fourmastersofetching_3_wedmore_128kb.mp3

27:46

This was a challenging read. There were French bits. There were unusual spellings like pourtrayal that I subtly emphasized. I am tight with paragraphs and leave a second or so for them. A light reverb applied to all at the end. Not sure if I will do another one in this book. Let me think about it.

p.s I will leave it at that; I have enjoyed doing the chapter [plus corrections lol?] . Hopefully some more people will claim the other chapters.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Thank you, lightcrystal. I have sections from a few different sections in the queue, but am PLing steadily. Will get back to you soon.

Verla
Cheers, VERLA

There's no rehab for LibriVox addicts. (Aren't you glad?)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Thank you! No hurry. Whenever you're ready. There's a lot of French in these sections. I forgot to add my thoughts about Mrs Meux. She is a different cat. I wasn't going to make a pun. Wait. I just did.
vviera

Post by vviera »

lightcrystal wrote: December 1st, 2021, 8:18 am Thank you! No hurry. Whenever you're ready. There's a lot of French in these sections. I forgot to add my thoughts about Mrs Meux. She is a different cat. I wasn't going to make a pun. Wait. I just did.
Haha. :lol: It took me a second. My French is decent, so no problem.
Cheers, VERLA

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you both!
Somehow missed this, but now have the MW updated.

I knew this book might not have a wide appeal, but I'm sure we'll find at least three other souls who would find this interesting to read, and some listeners to enjoy.
~ Larry
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I just want to mention that despite being low background noise in checker, there is a hum at the start of my recording. This is because I bookend the intro and outro after doing the recording. The part "this is a LIbriVox Recording..." is added on last. Thus I might have done that when there was more background noise, or not done noise reduction in that 10 or so seconds. I won't do it this way again; I will in future recordings do everything in the same session/s in order.

VViera, if you want to get me to fix up that buzz at the start as a PL note, that is OK. In fact, I think that I need to do something about that! I will wait for the PL first. I won't upload anything again in the mean time.
vviera

Post by vviera »

silverquill wrote: December 1st, 2021, 9:04 am I knew this book might not have a wide appeal, but I'm sure we'll find at least three other souls who would find this interesting to read, and some listeners to enjoy.
I made a comment to my wife at lunch today about some other book I'm DPLing, saying I couldn't imagine someone wanting to listen to it because of the nature of the text, that if they were interested, they would read it in print. She reminded me about the existence of blind and low vision readers. I did a forehead slap - her mom was blind. And I worked in libraries for many years. One of the principal tenets of librarianship is "Every book its reader, every reader their book." I should know after that many years that yes, EVERY book has an audience.
Cheers, VERLA

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I think this is true!
More than ever, audio books are finding listeners.
My first experience in this realm was maybe 40 years ago with "Recordings for the Blind" at their studios in Los Angeles. I think it was part of a textbook on philosophy. They had very high standards. All before the time of personal computers, the internet and all of the technology we have in our pockets now.
~ Larry
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

silverquill wrote: December 1st, 2021, 9:40 pm I think this is true!
More than ever, audio books are finding listeners.
My first experience in this realm was maybe 40 years ago with "Recordings for the Blind" at their studios in Los Angeles. I think it was part of a textbook on philosophy. They had very high standards. All before the time of personal computers, the internet and all of the technology we have in our pockets now.
In the early 90's It was before screen readers. Thus blind students needed people to read their lectures onto tape. I was a volunteer; there was a sound proof booth and a double sided tape recorder. The librarian would give us the blind person's university lectures and, alone, we would record. One was the French postmodernism of Foucault, Derrida and Beaudrillard. I am not sure that I understand a lot of the deep philosophical meanings.

Now there's screen readers that come free with many operating systems such as Knoppix Linux.
vviera

Post by vviera »

lightcrystal wrote: December 1st, 2021, 1:56 am https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fourmastersofetching_3_wedmore_128kb.mp3

This was a challenging read. There were French bits. There were unusual spellings like pourtrayal that I subtly emphasized. I am tight with paragraphs and leave a second or so for them. A light reverb applied to all at the end. Not sure if I will do another one in this book. Let me think about it.

p.s I will leave it at that; I have enjoyed doing the chapter [plus corrections lol?] . Hopefully some more people will claim the other chapters.
Hi lightcrystal -

I am not sure whether some of this is due to the reverb, but there are what frequently sound like skips and echos. I found several of these in short bits - 2 in 10 seconds and 3 in 22 seconds, see below.

1:21 skip? "permanent"
1:31 skip? "Velasquez"
3:27 echo "blue"
6:33 echo "mannerism"
6:47 echo - "reticent"
6:54 skip? - "a simplicity"

Having to stop so often, I am likely going to have a long list of glitches - that's only a quarter of the recording. Please go through and edit again to take care of this. You have a clear and accurate reading, but I think our end listener will find it hard to listen to because of these issues.

When you reupload, please add a "zero" to the section number. That's just protocol so it gets put in the right order with other recordings in the records. So,
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fourmastersofetching_03_wedmore_128kb.mp3

Above all, don't get discouraged! I've only been on board a few months, and there was definitely a learning curve (which I'm still climbing).

Thanks so much. As we've discussed, this work deserves to be listened to. I appreciate your work on it.
Cheers, VERLA

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thought I'd just give a second pair of ears to these.
I don't hear anything amiss in the first two places labeled "skip" but the others sound like reading stumbles that do need to be corrected.
~ Larry
vviera

Post by vviera »

silverquill wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 12:19 pm Thought I'd just give a second pair of ears to these.
And Larry, I should have given you credit here for part of that learning curve! "Lasers" was one of the first projects I did, and as BC, you taught me a number of things right off the bat, including the leading zero, if I recall correctly :)
Cheers, VERLA

lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

vviera wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 11:40 am
lightcrystal wrote: December 1st, 2021, 1:56 am https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fourmastersofetching_3_wedmore_128kb.mp3

Hi lightcrystal -

I am not sure whether some of this is due to the reverb, but there are what frequently sound like skips and echos. I found several of these in short bits - 2 in 10 seconds and 3 in 22 seconds, see below.

Having to stop so often, I am likely going to have a long list of glitches - that's only a quarter of the recording. Please go through and edit again to take care of this. You have a clear and accurate reading, but I think our end listener will find it hard to listen to because of these issues.

When you reupload, please add a "zero" to the section number. That's just protocol so it gets put in the right order with other recordings in the records. So,

Above all, don't get discouraged! I've only been on board a few months, and there was definitely a learning curve (which I'm still climbing).

Thanks so much. As we've discussed, this work deserves to be listened to. I appreciate your work on it.
Thank you. Let me open up my recording and have a look to fix. Maybe I was a bit tired when I did this.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Changes made. I also did the intro "librivox to volunteer etc" again at the start to get rid of the buzz at the start. This has knocked some times slightly off.

about first 20 seconds intro: did it again to get rid of buzz – knocked off times a little.

1:26 permanent [clearer]

1:36 velasquez

3:33 blue : echo removed

6:39 : mannerism echo gone

6:53: reticent echo done

7:00 a simplicity

Here is the link:

Note that moves the length to 27:54 if that matters.