COMPLETE: Love's Coming-of-Age: A Series of Papers on the Relations of the Sexes by Edward Carpenter -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

SuesUK wrote: September 26th, 2021, 1:22 am file name adjusted :thumbs:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lovescomingofage_09_carpenter_128kb.mp3

Thanks

Sue
PL OK! Thank you!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
SuesUK

Post by SuesUK »

Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

EltonTheSnowman wrote: September 27th, 2021, 4:41 am Section 4 ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lovescomingofage_04_carpenter_128kb.mp3
(26:57)
Thank you for section 4! It sounds great. I have a few notes (it's not as much as it looks like - most of it is just about footnotes to be included :) ) :

- At 1:58, after "his cause is theirs," could you include the footnote "The freedom of Woman must ultimately rest on the Communism of society—which alone can give her support during the period of Motherhood, without forcing her into dependence on the arbitrary will of one man. While the present effort of women towards earning their own economic independence is a healthy sign and a necessary feature of the times, it is evident that it alone will not entirely solve the problem, since it is just during the difficult years of Motherhood, when support is most needed, that the woman is least capable of earning it for herself. (See Appendix.)"?
- At 3:59, after "troubles," could you include the footnote "See 'Appendix.'"?
- At 9:57, "her and man," you say "her and her man."
- At 13:31, "hampered as little as possible," you say "hampered by little as possibly."
- At 17:39, after "the ideal of the female," could you include the footnote "See 'Appendix.'?
- At 21:52, after "mothers of our race," could you include the footnote "As to the maternal teaching of children, it must be confessed that it has, in late times, been most dismal. Whether among the masses or the classes the idea has been first and foremost to impress upon them the necessity of sliding through life as comfortably as possible, and the parting word to the boy leaving home to launch into the great world has seldom risen to a more heroic strain than 'Don’t forget your flannels!'"
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

SuesUK wrote: September 27th, 2021, 3:29 pm Hi

Section 11 , ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lovescomingofage_11_carpenter_128kb.mp3

4m01sec

Sue
Thank you for section 11! It's PL OK.

I have one optional suggestion: I noticed a bit more background hum in this recording than with section 9. If you'd like to try reducing it with noise-cleaning in Audacity, here's some information you might find helpful. I don't think the background noise is loud enough to distract the listener, though, so it's up to you whether to make any changes to this recording. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

Sarah
SuesUK

Post by SuesUK »

Thanks for letting me know, will try workout why that happend and have play with it tonight :)
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

EltonTheSnowman wrote: September 29th, 2021, 2:22 am Here's the corrected file for section 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lovescomingofage_04_carpenter_128kb.mp3
(28:08)
PL OK! Thank you!

Sarah
SuesUK

Post by SuesUK »

Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

SuesUK wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 3:42 pm Hi

Section 11 - Re done. 04:03

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lovescomingofage_11_carpenter_128kb.mp3

Sue
PL OK! Thank you! And I apologize - I might not have been very clear when I suggested noise-cleaning above. If you noise-clean a file, you don't have to re-record, you can just use the Noise Reduction tool on the existing recording. I'm sorry you went to the extra trouble, but I appreciate your diligence!

Sarah
SuesUK

Post by SuesUK »

Hi

No apology needed. I understood what you meant. I did do a noise clean and it was ok, but I could still hear it a bit, so as it was a short piece I decided to re record. 👍

Sue
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 3 is available due to an expired claim. Any takers?

Sarah
Arden

Post by Arden »

Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Arden wrote: November 7th, 2021, 10:19 pm 5 is up at 25:04. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lovescomingofage_05_carpenter_128kb.mp3
Thank you for section 5! It sounds great. I have only two notes:

- At 12:05, after "to wipe her mind clear of all opinions," could you include the line "in order that she may hold it up as a kind of mirror"?
- At 23:46, "If we would debar all liberty and all risk," you say "If we were to debar all liberty and all risk."

Sarah