COMPLETE [ROMANCE] Inocencia: a story of the prairie regions of Brazil, by the Viscount of Taunay-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/innocencia-prairie-regions-of-brazil-by-taunay/

Inocencia: a story of the prairie regions of Brazil, by Alfredo d'Escragnolle Taunay, Viscount of Taunay (1843 - 1899), translated by James William Wells (1847 - 1902)
The story of Inocencia, an 18-year-old girl who lives in the prairies of Brazil, is a twist on the traditional love triangle. The plot has been compared to the more famous "Paul and Virginie" and "Romeo and Juliet", but it takes place on the dropback of the loneliness of the sparsely populated backregions in 19th century Brazil, visited by a German naturalist in search of new species of insects, Dr. Meyer, who unsuspectedly finds himself caught in a complicated maze of jealousy, love and distrust. Inocencia was the first book by a Brazilian writer to be translated into English, as the translator states in his preface. (Summary by Leni)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/innocenciastoryo1889taun/page/n7/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

About pronunciation:
The book keeps the Portuguese names of people and places in Brazil. Do not worry about it, though! Please read those words as you think an English speaker would read them. The only name for which I would like us to keep the Portuguese pronunciation is the author's name. Please read TAUNAY as "TOWN-EYE" (as it would be read in Portuguese, not in French!)

About footnotes:
Please read the footnotes that you consider will be helpful to the reader and not break too much the flow of the narrative. You should read them by saying [footnote], then reading the content of the footnote, then saying [end of footnote] and returning to the text. Thanks!

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Inocencia: a story of the prairie regions of Brazil. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Inocencia: a story of the prairie regions of Brazil, by the Viscount of Taunay, translated by James William Wells. Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Inocencia: a story of the prairie regions of Brazil, by the Viscount of Taunay, translated by James William Wells."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: inocencia_##_taunay_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. inocencia_01_taunay_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Leni

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

The window is complete, looking for a PLer (and readers!). :)
Leni
=================
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Leni,

I was looking at this and it seems to me that the author is Sylvio Dinarete, at least that is what I gather from both the cover of the book and the Title Page. ?

Wayne

edit: I just Googled the Taunay name and Wikipedia lists him as the author. ?

edit 2: With more investigation Gutenberg says that Sylvio Dinarete is an "alias" for Taunay. More complicated that it seems to be. A question then, should Mark Twain's stuff be listed as Samuel Clemens, or George Elliot's stuff be listed as Mary Ann Evans?
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Kalamareader wrote: September 10th, 2021, 5:36 pm Leni,

I was looking at this and it seems to me that the author is Sylvio Dinarete, at least that is what I gather from both the cover of the book and the Title Page. ?

Wayne

edit: I just Googled the Taunay name and Wikipedia lists him as the author. ?

edit 2: With more investigation Gutenberg says that Sylvio Dinarete is an "alias" for Taunay. More complicated that it seems to be. A question then, should Mark Twain's stuff be listed as Samuel Clemens, or George Elliot's stuff be listed as Mary Ann Evans?

Hello, Wayne

Exactly, it is a pseudonym that he used to separate his fictional work from his serious, political work. However, it was not a very long lived one, and I can guarantee that, having studied Taunay at school, he was never referred to by any other name. This work itself was already published under his real name as early as 1906 (https://archive.org/details/innocencia00taungoog) As to the LibriVox catalog, we can add pseudonyms. If you look up Samuel Clemens on the catalog, you will find all books by Mark Twain. But it is listed as Mark Twain as well, so you can find them either way. We can add both names to the catalog. :D
Leni
=================
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Can I read section 31?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

alanmapstone wrote: September 10th, 2021, 6:24 pm Can I read section 31?
Sure, Alan! Thank you!
Leni
=================
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Can I read the translator's preface and chapter 1?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Piotrek81 wrote: September 11th, 2021, 7:35 am Can I read the translator's preface and chapter 1?
Sure, thanks much!
Leni
=================
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Leni wrote: September 11th, 2021, 7:37 am
Piotrek81 wrote: September 11th, 2021, 7:35 am Can I read the translator's preface and chapter 1?
Sure, thanks much!
Leni,

Scanning through this it sounds very interesting. It looks like something that I would like to DPL. What say ye?

If so, what are your plans for the footnotes?

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Sure, Wayne! Welcome aboard!

The policy for the footnotes is the one I usually use: at the reader's discretion, footnotes that would help the listener can be read. I will add that to the first post as well. :D
Leni
=================
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

:thumbs:
Wayne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Here's the Translator's Preface
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/inocencia_00_taunay_128kb.mp3 5:08

I agree with his point about reading to learn about the realities of life in other countries. That's why I like books set abroad. Though I still think that having a good intrigue is essential :) Also, as a Brazilian translator, do you understand what he meant by his last point about "Meu Deus" vs. "My God"? Are these expressions used differently?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks much, Piotr!

I did not read the whole book, but I read the first three or four chapters before deciding to put it up for reading (since I know the story, I just wanted to get a feel for the translation :mrgreen: ). And I found the translator to be... maybe a bit exagerated in his care for local color? I mean, there are some things that personally I would have translated, but he decided to keep as part of this "local color" or something. :hmm: The only thing I can think of for the difference between meu Deus and my God is that perhaps we use it more freely in Portuguese. I mean, it just feels stronger in English. But I don't know if that is what he meant. *shrugs*
Leni
=================
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Piotr,

This is my first opportunity to listen to a narration of yours. I enjoyed it very much.

There were a couple of things that you might look at:

2:38 and have been strongly interested by it. You said in. I hesitated on this one, but I think that it gives a subtle difference to the meaning of the sentence.

4:45 JAMES W. WELLS. You said H.

Also the volume was 86.5, kind of on the low side. So when you do Chapter 1, you may want to look at amplifying it some.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Kalamareader wrote: September 21st, 2021, 3:12 pm
Piotr,

This is my first opportunity to listen to a narration of yours. I enjoyed it very much.

There were a couple of things that you might look at:

2:38 and have been strongly interested by it. You said in. I hesitated on this one, but I think that it gives a subtle difference to the meaning of the sentence.

4:45 JAMES W. WELLS. You said H.

Also the volume was 86.5, kind of on the low side. So when you do Chapter 1, you may want to look at amplifying it some.

Thanks,

Wayne
Fixed and re-uploaded. I also amplified it a bit.. Check now. :) Also, the second spot was at 4:55, just so you don't search for it.