[COMPLETE] The Cambridge Modern History. Volume 03, The Wars of Religion-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Genosse66

Post by Genosse66 »

Apologies Michael.

section 61 is 34.06 in length, I'll get the hang of all this soon.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Genosse66 wrote: May 16th, 2021, 2:16 pm Apologies Michael.

section 61 is 34.06 in length, I'll get the hang of all this soon.
Thanks! No worries. :)

Michael
dbbenison

Post by dbbenison »

Kazbek wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:49 pm
dbbenison wrote: May 12th, 2021, 11:51 am I'll read Section 13: Chapter IV. The Height of the Ottoman Power by Moritz Brosch (part 2)
Hello and welcome to LibriVox! :)

Since this looks like the first time you'll be assigned a section, let me know under what name (real or nickname) you would like to be credited in the catalog. We can also include a link to your personal website or blog, if you have one.

Also, please complete a 1-Minute Test before you record your first contribution. Its purpose is to ensure that your recording software and hardware is set up in accordance with LibriVox technical standards, so that you get a chance to adjust your setup without having to redo a longer recording. The instructions can be found on this wiki page:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

In the meantime, I'll pencil in your claim in the Notes column of the Magic Window.

Thanks,
Michael
Hi Michael,

My full name is Derek Benison. I'm waiting for my personal equipment to arrive, but I wanted to get started, so I booked some time in a studio with an engineer there to help. Would you still like me to send in a 1 minute test? Or should I wait until I have my own equipment set up? Thanks for your help. I look forward to working with you and the rest of the Librivox team.

Derek
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

dbbenison wrote: May 17th, 2021, 9:25 am Hi Michael,

My full name is Derek Benison. I'm waiting for my personal equipment to arrive, but I wanted to get started, so I booked some time in a studio with an engineer there to help. Would you still like me to send in a 1 minute test? Or should I wait until I have my own equipment set up? Thanks for your help. I look forward to working with you and the rest of the Librivox team.
Hi Derek,

If you're planning to record a contribution in the studio, you can share with the engineer the tech specs that are listed in the 1-minute test instructions. Presumably, a professional engineer doesn't need double-checking on this. Then I would recommend doing a 1-minute test on your personal set-up. Look forward to your contributions!

Michael
RuthP

Post by RuthP »

Piotrek81 wrote: May 14th, 2021, 9:52 pm PL notes for section 35:
2:07 tenets I hear "tenents"
8:40 amity I hear "amnity"
8:42 Puritanism I hear "Puritism"
26:34 spread I hear "speed"
28:24 incongruity I hear "inconnuity"

Bear in mind that English is not my first language so I may have misinterpreted some things.
Thank you!

Here is edited version of section 35:

I am sorry but I couldn't find at 28.24 'inconnuity' or 'incongruity' ! -

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_35_various_128kb.mp3

Length now is 31.31
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Piotrek81 wrote: May 14th, 2021, 9:52 pm PL notes for section 35:
RuthP wrote: May 18th, 2021, 3:28 am Here is edited version of section 35:
Thank you, Ruth!

Michael
TadDavis

Post by TadDavis »

I would like to tackle sections 24, 25, 26, and 27 — in other words, all of chapter 7 — if you’re willing to put me down for all 4. It looks like there will be some pronunciation challenges, but as always, if there are standard anglicized or Americanized alternatives I’ll go for them, otherwise will give my best approximations based on Merriam Webster’s biographical and geographical dictionaries, Wikipedia, and Google.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Here's section 11 https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_11_various_128kb.mp3 duration 35:54

And if you're interested in paintings of epic historic scenes, here's an artist vision of a moment from the Bathory's Russian campaign painted by Jan Matejko, famous in Poland for historically-themed art. https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Batory_pod_Pskowem#/media/Plik:Stephen_B%C3%A1thory_at_Pskov_by_Jan_Matejko_(1872).png
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: May 18th, 2021, 8:02 am I would like to tackle sections 24, 25, 26, and 27 — in other words, all of chapter 7 — if you’re willing to put me down for all 4. It looks like there will be some pronunciation challenges, but as always, if there are standard anglicized or Americanized alternatives I’ll go for them, otherwise will give my best approximations based on Merriam Webster’s biographical and geographical dictionaries, Wikipedia, and Google.
Great, thanks! I'm sure listeners will appreciate your research.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Piotrek81 wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:12 pm Here's section 11 https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_11_various_128kb.mp3 duration 35:54
Thank you, Piotrek!
And if you're interested in paintings of epic historic scenes, here's an artist vision of a moment from the Bathory's Russian campaign painted by Jan Matejko, famous in Poland for historically-themed art. https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Batory_pod_Pskowem#/media/Plik:Stephen_B%C3%A1thory_at_Pskov_by_Jan_Matejko_(1872).png
Very nice! A subject like this lends itself easily to triumphalism, but here we have subtle and sympathetic character studies instead.

Michael
TadDavis

Post by TadDavis »

Section 24 is available for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_24_various_128kb.mp3

Length: 34m 21s
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: May 20th, 2021, 10:00 am Section 24 is available for review.
Thank you, Tad! It might take a few days to PL this.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Genosse66 wrote: May 16th, 2021, 1:43 am Could someone kindly give section 61 a PL;
Great reading! There are just a couple of technical issues that need attention.

1) There should be no more than 1 second of silence at the beginning (currently almost 4). Please shorten.

2) There's a high level of background noise, first a hiss, and starting mid-way through the section also a kind of crackling sound. Here's how to fix it in Audacity:

Step 1 - Get a noise profile
Select a piece of background noise (without speech or breaths) in your audio. The final silence usually works well, but watch out not to include the sniff you have there.
In Menu click: Effect > Noise Reduction...
Click "Get Noise Profile"

Step 2 - Apply noise reduction
Select your complete recording (click on the left pane or press CTRL-A / Command-A)
In Menu click: Effect > Noise Reduction...

Set Noise Reduction (dB) to 20
Set sensitivity to 6
Set frequency smoothing bands to 1
Choose Noise: Reduce
Click ok

For the future, I would check to see if there's any humming equipment in the vicinity you can turn off. That would reduce the level of noise and allow you to apply noise reduction with a level lower than 20, which would in turn reduce the chance of noise reduction having unwanted side effects on overall sound quality. Most of us can't eliminate background noise entirely, so noise reduction is a regular part of LibriVox workflow. Your prior sections also had a high level of background noise, but since I became aware of it after they had been marked PL OK, I cleaned up the noise myself behind the scenes.

Michael
dbbenison

Post by dbbenison »

Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thank you, Derek! I'll check it out soon. Here's your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/16252

Michael