COMPLETE The Little Minister, JM Barrie-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

cathgrace wrote:I would like to read section 33 if it is still available. :)
Yes, it is! Welcome to the project!

Thanks for doing your 1 minute test, that's excellent. However, since I think this is your first recording, I will need to create a reader file for you. This contains the name that you will read into the file "Chapter 33 read by... " You can use your real name (as I do) or your screen name (sylviamb does this) or something else - but since it is read into the audio file once you choose it you can't change it very easily.
Is it required that I attempt to speak with a Scottish accent to be considered as a reader for this book?
No. You can pick a chapter that doesn't have much Scottish brogue in it, or just read it phonetically as it appears on the page. Some people "do voices", others don't. It's a matter of interpretation. As long as it is clear to the listener who is speaking and what they are saying, the rest is up to you!

EDIT: I'm Elizabby (Beth Thomas) and I'm the BC (Book Coordinator). I run the day to day bits of the project, manage the Magic Window and keep track of the claims. I'm also doing most of the Proof Listening for this project, as we don't currently have a DPL, but that's not always part of the BC job description!

MaryAnnSpiegel is our MC or Meta-Coordinator. She is our admin member who manages the technical parts of the MW setup, handles the files and does the "getting the project into the catalogue" bit. She is also the final decision maker on the "rules and customs" of Librivox, such as how much silence is needed at the end of a file and whether or not certain kinds of sound effects are allowed. She might also answer some LV questions if she happens to be online when I'm not - I'm an Australian so I'm not often online when everyone else is!

But whatever you want to know, one of us can probably help you, or at least point you in the right direction, so please ask!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

sylviamb wrote: May I claim sections 21 22 23 & 25?
Great, thanks! ;) You're producing files faster than I can listen to them - but that's all right, I'll catch up with you eventually! :lol:
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

I'm retired, I have tons of time, I like doing this, it's fun, and I don't claim in more than one project at a time, so all that means I move along rather quickly.

Don't let it put pressure on you. It doesn't matter to me if sections are proof-listened in any particular time frame. I just like to keep busy.

I hope you enjoy listening as much as I do reading.

Thanks for all your work.

Sylvia
cathgrace

Post by cathgrace »

Thanks, Sylvia! I'm brand new, so I think I'll try to read something easier. :)
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

Just dropping by to drop off some files.

Section 21 Time 16:09
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/littleminister_21_barrie_128kb.mp3

Section 22 Time 13:56
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/littleminister_22_barrie_128kb.mp3

Section 23 Time 9:53
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/littleminister_23_barrie_128kb.mp3

The 4th of this last claim will appear shortly.

May I claim 26, 27, 28 & 29?

Sylvia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Sylvia! MW updated! :thumbs:

(I'm a bit slow with the PLing for this project because I'm prioritising the PLing of a solo. He's depending on me, and those chapters are long! So this project will go faster once the solo is done.)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Chapter 5 is PL OK, and the text of Chapter 6 is fine but there's no outro, unless it got chopped off in the uploaded? Can you please check the original file, and add the "End of Chapter 6" if it isn't there?
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

Here is corrected Chapter 6 with the missing outro now included.

Section 6 Time 19:05
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/littleminister_06_barrie_128kb.mp3

Thank you!

Sylvia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Sylvia - Chapter 6 is now PL OK!
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Sylvia, those files are in the MW, and your new claims recorded.

I've just PLed Chapter 7, and there's an editing glitch at 4:10 where a word is chopped off. The rest of Chapter 7 is fine, but if you could just have a listen to that spot please? I listened to it twice to make sure it wasn't my upload but I don't think it is.
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

Well, that word that sounds like it's cut off in Chapter 7 isn't really cut off. The whole word is there. I pronounce the sheriff's name as "Rick". The only thing that wasn't there was the final aspiration, a sound of breath after the "k".

I couldn't isolate the single word "Rick"; it was too closely linked with the word before it: "by".

So I tried several versions of replacement with both words, and I'll tell you I can't get the sound quality to match in any way that's even close. All my "corrections" stood out like a sore thumb and in my opinion were worse than the missing aspiration.

I think it's better off being left alone 'cause I just can't get the sound to match without making it sound worse.

Consequently I have not re-uploaded a corrected Chapter 7.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it :wink:

Sylvia
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

The MW lists chapter 9 has having PL notes, but I don't see them.

Sylvia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'll have a go at editing Ch 7 to add a "ck" sound, unless you want to re-read the whole sentence? That's sometimes easier than editing a single word.

In Ch 9 at 15:39 "goal" should have been "gaol" (pronounced "jail").

Thanks for all the voices and accents that you do! It makes it really clear who is speaking!

Chapter 10 is PL OK!