Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
hmpecker

Post by hmpecker »

OK. I'm on it.
hmpecker

Post by hmpecker »

loon

Post by loon »

hmpecker wrote: September 9th, 2022, 8:34 am https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/alleycatskitten_07_fuller_128kb.mp3

in mono. should be louder.
Phil - f.y.i.
This chapter meets the requirements for a 1-minute test. The recorded format is 128 kbps, 44100 Hz and mono. The overall level is 90.5 dB - a bit above the 89 dB middle of range but within the LibriVox window.

I'll have a prooflisten soon.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

hmpecker wrote: September 9th, 2022, 8:34 am https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/alleycatskitten_07_fuller_128kb.mp3

in mono. should be louder.
That fits the bill just fine. As Rich, our prooflistener said, it meets all our specifications. Note that the MC to choose when uploading is philchenevert; I forgot to put that in the first post. No need for you to do anything, I will take care of this one, this is just for your future recordings whey you are dealing with a BC (Book Coordinator) who is more on the ball and not so elderly!
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
loon

Post by loon »

Prooflistening now.

Two things need to be fixed please -
At ~10:56 there is an electronic noise - this is in between sentences and should be easy to replace with silence (or better yet, a bit of the recording while you aren't talking, sometimes called 'room tone').

Your silence at the end of the recording should never be shorter than 5 seconds or longer than 10 seconds - yours was 12 seconds. Most readers trim their closing silence down to something like 5-and-a-quarter seconds. I'll need you to trim the ending off the recording and upload it again, this time picking philchenevert as the MC.

Here are some notes of things to keep in mind for future recordings.

At ~1:59 there is a double click - I'm not sure what caused it, but the sound was quite close to the microphone. It's a great idea to check around your recording environment listening for things that make noises and temporarily pause them. Sometimes things can't be helped, like living near a busy street, but we do our best.

At ~4:18 I'm hearing "Which Euni[electronic interference] had for her breakfast." Something in your record chain had a little burp which replaced the end of Eunice with a some sort of interference - quiet, but it did remove part of a word. If you can notice such things right away it's possible to re-record a phrase or sentence and edit that in to replace the flawed part. (The timing between sentences is about right, so if you just edited out the sound you would probably get an uncomfortably-short pause there.)

AT ~12:50 I hear some thumping - it sounds like perhaps you are moving your hands around on the desktop. I've found that putting a folded towel under my mic stand greatly reduces such noises. I've also trained myself to keep my hands off the desk while I'm recording.
loon

Post by loon »

Oh, and has Phil asked you what name you want to be listed under in the catalog? This can be different than your forum name. Many of us (raises hand) have an alias in the forums but use our real-world name for the catalog.
hmpecker

Post by hmpecker »

I'm on it
hmpecker

Post by hmpecker »

hmpecker

Post by hmpecker »

doing chapter 8
hmpecker

Post by hmpecker »

hmpecker

Post by hmpecker »

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

hmpecker wrote: September 9th, 2022, 3:32 pm doing chapter 8
The normal way we do it here is to first request a chapter, like "I'd like to record chapter 8" and then have the BC (Book Coordinator) respond saying "sure, chapter 8 is yours" before recording it. This is to avoid unnecessary work in case someone else requested that chapter first and you knew nothing about it, or there may be some reason why it cannot be assigned at this time. So with that sais, I am assigning that chapter, 8, to you. Have fun :D
hmpecker

Post by hmpecker »

Sorry about that. Request first. understood.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

hmpecker wrote: September 9th, 2022, 6:31 pm Sorry about that. Request first. understood.
Yep. But your enthusiasm is wonderful!
loon

Post by loon »

Whoa, something happened to the sound in this chapter. If you happened to keep the previous edit you can listen to the two versions one after the other. The second upload has a lot of echo in it. The first edit clearly sounds better. I found I could line up the two tracks to see the signal is generally the same but not identical. See the image I've put at https://fullloon.com/LibriVox/. Both the voltage scale and the time scale are highly magnified to reveal the differences - yes, one can do that with Audacity.

If you still have the first version you uploaded you can try again - only editing the pause near 10:56 and the ending silence.

If you do not still have that first edited version I can probably perform the edits here and upload.

It's always safest to keep local copies as you work until a chapter gets the OK from your prooflistener.

I'll move on to chapter 8 next.