[COMPLETE][Supernatural]The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain, by John Henry Ingram - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain, by John Henry Ingram (1842-1916)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/haunted-homes-and-family-traditions-of-great-britain-by-john-henry-ingram/
Possibly no part in the world is more connected in our minds to hauntings, ghost sightings and gruesome legends than Great Britain with its numerous castles, old manors, shady streets and remote country abodes. Who hasn't yet thought of maybe one day visiting one of those places, only to feel for themselves the thrill of the creepy atmosphere of their rooms and dungeons, enhanced by the chilling stories surrounding them ?
In this compilation, John Henry Ingram (1842-1916) is offering the reader some 150 such places, gathering interesting, sometimes horrifying or even supernatural facts about the history and legends of these parts of Great Britain. (Summary by Sonia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/hauntedhomesfami00ingr/page/n9/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain, by John Henry Ingram. Section [Number & Title of story]." (see MW for exact title)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain, by John Henry Ingram."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: hauntedhomes_###_ingram_128kb.mp3 where ### (3 digits !!) is the section number. (e.g. hauntedhomes_001_ingram_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Now with Halloween coming up this weekend, I thought it a good idea to get us all in the mood with this collection of legends and lore surrounding some famous (or less famous) places on the British Isles. All conveniently haunted by lost souls, ghosts or white ladies, of course.

If anybody has visited one of these places already, please let me know your impression of it. Do they live up to the creepiness the author is depicting ? :mrgreen:

The project is now open for all readers, eager to be chilled to the bones. 8-)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Sonia
I will claim section 57 as I have been to Queen's College on a number of occasions to hear concerts in their chapel. It is one of the smaller college but has a very pleasant atmosphere.
I did not find it at all creepy :lol:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Can I also take 53 (Newstead Abbey) because of the Byron connection :)
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: October 28th, 2021, 5:39 amI will claim section 57 as I have been to Queen's College on a number of occasions to hear concerts in their chapel. It is one of the smaller college but has a very pleasant atmosphere.
I did not find it at all creepy :lol:

Can I also take 53 (Newstead Abbey) because of the Byron connection :)
well after reading the story behind it, maybe on the next concert you will feel the chill ;)

Thank you for your first claims, Alan :9:

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

May I claim Sections 44, 46, 76 & 124.

Thank you!

Greg
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I'd like to claim Dosmery Pool (111)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

As there are a lot of these can I add a few more:

9 - Bristol Vicarage
55 - Ottery
85 - John Donne
107 - Cumnor Hall

All places I know (except John Donne of course :lol: )
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:54 amMay I claim Sections 44, 46, 76 & 124.
I see you are interested in London...thank you, Greg :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Piotrek81 wrote: October 28th, 2021, 7:22 am I'd like to claim Dosmery Pool (111)
so cool to have you again in one of my projects, Piotr 8-) thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: October 28th, 2021, 7:30 am As there are a lot of these can I add a few more:

9 - Bristol Vicarage
55 - Ottery
85 - John Donne
107 - Cumnor Hall

All places I know (except John Donne of course :lol: )
:lol: yes I am wondering about how these people fit in... is Mr Donne haunting some place ? :shock: We'll find out.

Thank you Alan

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Sonia!! This does compel me to claim some sections, Halloween is almost here...
sections 28, 56, 108, 116 & 153 as well.
:mrgreen:
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: October 28th, 2021, 8:26 am Hello Sonia!! This does compel me to claim some sections, Halloween is almost here...
hey, April, happy to have you in another project again :9: thanks for claiming. I hope they will be creepy enough for the season :mrgreen:

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote: October 28th, 2021, 8:33 am
adr6090 wrote: October 28th, 2021, 8:26 am Hello Sonia!! This does compel me to claim some sections, Halloween is almost here...
hey, April, happy to have you in another project again :9: thanks for claiming. I hope they will be creepy enough for the season :mrgreen:

Sonia
Creepy sounds like an awesome word for the season...
Thank you!
April
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Hi there - could I claim Sections 52 and 60?

I may claim more later on ... if my nerves can take it :cry: