[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 24 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Attached is section 6 (including ad lib discussed in above post), running 10:24.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0124_6_various_128kb.mp3

Please advise if my ad-lib is 'out-of-bounds' in any way or if any better ideas are suggested.

Thank you, Brize
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BrizeCrize wrote: September 20th, 2021, 8:05 amAttached is section 6 (including ad lib discussed in above post), running 10:24.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0124_6_various_128kb.mp3
Please advise if my ad-lib is 'out-of-bounds' in any way or if any better ideas are suggested.
actually I think it was a typo and indeed should have been "my house was not more than two streets distant", and I don't think that sounds odd at all. :hmm:

Usually we don't edit the text unless it's a real obvious typo, but it's ok, you don't need to redo this sentence, as your "few" could well have been a candid reading error and it doesn't change the meaning at all. I'll mark it PL ok.

As to the situation described in the story :shock: how gruesome ! I vividly see this corpse now before my inner eye. The story is well written, sounds almost like from a diary of a doctor. Maybe this was a real occurence.

Thank you for the narration, I enjoyed it. :)

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is Section 2--almost too familiar at this point:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0124_2_various_128kb.mp3

28:27

Jim :roll:
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

actually I think it was a typo and indeed should have been "my house was not more than two streets distant", and I don't think that sounds odd at all. :hmm:
Ha ha, must be a regional difference, Kitty. I guess I associate that phrase with some sort of high-side estimate and 'two' just sounds so precise. Even if he had said 'a couple' or 'two or three' it would have suggested the uncertainty that the phrase implies. You're probably right though, especially as doctors tend to be more precise in their language by necessity(not more that two pills a day) and it probably carries over to their general usage of phrases. Thanks for letting it slide, too.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: September 21st, 2021, 7:04 amHere is Section 2--almost too familiar at this point:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0124_2_various_128kb.mp3
ah the classic chivalrous story with a happy ending. :9: Gotta love them. Thank you, Jim, perfectly narrated and right away: PL ok.

Sonia
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

May I read section 4?
Thanks, Gini
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Theginmann wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 3:24 pmMay I read section 4?
yes you may, thank you Gini :)

The link for the missing pages is in the MW !

Sonia
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Hi, here is section 4 - length - 11:26.63

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0124_4_various_128kb.mp3

Just wanted to see what you thought about a couple things...
1. in the 1st paragraph the word is written "satify" and I looked it up thinking it was a form of the word "sate" but alas I couldn't find it so I'm assuming it is supposed to be "satisfy" which is what I went with

2 in the last line of page 378, the word is written "stooped" but I'm thinking it is supposed to be "stopped" as that makes sense in the sentence
Just let me know if you want me to go back and change things.
Thanks, Gini
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Theginmann wrote: September 24th, 2021, 2:07 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0124_4_various_128kb.mp3

1. in the 1st paragraph the word is written "satify" and I looked it up thinking it was a form of the word "sate" but alas I couldn't find it so I'm assuming it is supposed to be "satisfy" which is what I went with
2 in the last line of page 378, the word is written "stooped" but I'm thinking it is supposed to be "stopped" as that makes sense in the sentence
yes I agree these were ordinary typos in my opinion as well. It was good to have quietly changed them to the correct word. :thumbs:

A wonderful story, it moved me extremely. Also beautifully and sensitively narrated, thank you so much for that :) I really enjoyed it. Hoping to hear you in many more Rover stories :9:

All PL ok

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 1 - Manfred

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0124_1_various_128kb.mp3

I think that Manfred is Byron's finest work, which is why I particularly wanted to read this section. The essay is a very fair assessment and a much better balanced view of Byron and his work than was often true of 19thC writing when people tended to let their moral repugnance of the man distort their view of his work.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read section 8?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: September 28th, 2021, 3:58 amMay I read section 8?
yes thank you :) will get to Manfred soon....

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: September 28th, 2021, 3:38 amThe essay is a very fair assessment and a much better balanced view of Byron and his work than was often true of 19thC writing when people tended to let their moral repugnance of the man distort their view of his work.
yes unfortunately bigotted world-views often taint a fair criticism of an author's work. :roll:

I have not yet read the poem, but this excerpt indeed sounds great. And I love Byron's poetry :9:

Textually all correct, but could you maybe trim down one lengthy pause here:

> from 3:35 to 3:37: between "Shakespeare" and "when the moon" - over 2.5 seconds felt too long for me for the poem to start. I would cut it down to under 2 seconds.

thanks

Sonia
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

I'd like to claim the following:

7 Escape of the Duston Family p. 382-383 Open

Thanks,
Kerry Adams
Your Book Voice
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yourbookvoice wrote: September 28th, 2021, 6:02 amI'd like to claim the following:
7 Escape of the Duston Family p. 382-383 Open
thank you, Kerry, lovely to have yet another new voice in the Rover collection :)

Have fun

Sonia