(Complete) Short Story Collection 100 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Short Story Collection 100, by Various

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/short-story-collection-vol-100-by-various/
A milestone in Librivox short story collection history! It is edition 100 and to celebrate, we have some wonderful stories. Old favorites, such as W. Somerset Maugham, P. G. Wodehouse and Ernest Hemingway are joined by less familiar authors, such as Franklin P. Harry, W. H. H. Murray and Dick Purcell. As always, you are invited to sit back and enjoy!(Summary by Lynne Thompson)

For clarification of what "in the Public Domain" means read this. Try to stay with works that run less than 60 minutes [74 minutes is the absolute max]. There is no need to sign-up before recording, as long as the work is clearly in the Public Domain. But please note: Wikisource CAN NOT be used as a source. See "Our policy on text sources."

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known):
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: Short Stories/Anthologies

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Title of story by Author. Short Story Collection 100. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Title of story."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of title of story #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ssc100_titleofstoryinoneword_yourinitials_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ssc100_beststoryever_lt_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Lynnet

Please post in this thread:
The link from the uploader.
Name of your story
Author (birth year - death year)
Translator if applicable (birth year - death year)
Source from which you read (e.g. Gutenberg etext url)
Length in mm:ss
If it is your first submission, how you would like to appear in the catalog. - please post it in this thread.
Any questions?
Please post below
Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
czandra

Post by czandra »

I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

A Manual of Education -- I think this would fit better in the non-fiction collection, although the current collection appears to be full. I'm sure another will be along soon 8-) viewtopic.php?f=19&t=88438
czandra

Post by czandra »

THanks. I thought I had posted it in collection 100, but the non-fiction thread would be better. Will relocate it. If I can figure out how.

Cz

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

czandra wrote: September 16th, 2021, 10:04 am THanks. I thought I had posted it in collection 100, but the non-fiction thread would be better. Will relocate it. If I can figure out how.

Cz
You will need to change the intro/outro and upload with the appropriate file name...
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=89109
czandra

Post by czandra »

[quote=Ly

Cz
[/quote]

You will need to change the intro/outro and upload with the appropriate file name...
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=89109
[/quote]

Done :)

msfry

Post by msfry »

Here's a cute little story I found, with a bit of a twist:

The Ant and the Grasshopper
W. Somerset Maugham
Cosmopolitan Magazine October 1924
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015056096566&view=1up&seq=572&skin=2021&q1=Grasshopper

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ssc100_antandgrasshopper_mtf_128kb.mp3 10:57
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

msfry wrote: September 19th, 2021, 4:22 pm Here's a cute little story I found, with a bit of a twist:

The Ant and the Grasshopper
W. Somerset Maugham
Cosmopolitan Magazine October 1924
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015056096566&view=1up&seq=572&skin=2021&q1=Grasshopper

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ssc100_antandgrasshopper_mtf_128kb.mp3 10:57
Thank you
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The Ant and the Grasshopper PL OK
figgisnewton

Post by figgisnewton »

Hello,

I would like to read The Most Dangerous Game, and I wanted to make sure it is an appropriate story for this collection
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

figgisnewton wrote: September 27th, 2021, 9:15 am Hello,

I would like to read The Most Dangerous Game, and I wanted to make sure it is an appropriate story for this collection
I am not familiar with that story and would need to know the source.
It must have been published pre-1926 and you also need to pay attention to copyright laws where you are located. Apart from that, provided it is adult fiction, it should be OK. We don't like sources such as google or wikisource as they are unreliable.
figgisnewton

Post by figgisnewton »

Lynnet wrote: September 27th, 2021, 9:35 am
I am not familiar with that story and would need to know the source.
It must have been published pre-1926 and you also need to pay attention to copyright laws where you are located. Apart from that, provided it is adult fiction, it should be OK. We don't like sources such as google or wikisource as they are unreliable.
"The Most Dangerous Game", also published as "The Hounds of Zaroff", is a short story by Richard Connell, first published in Collier's on January 19, 1924

I was able to download a pdf version here : http://www.dukeofdefinition.com/dangerous_game.pdf
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Although the story would be PD in the US, this copy does not give the copyright year. If it was changed from the original in any way, we could not accept it.

Edit: this version is fine

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015019941288&view=1up&seq=67&q1=The%20Hounds%20of%20Zaroff
Kayziah

Post by Kayziah »

I would like to read :)