(Complete) Stories from the Ballads, Told to the Children, by Mary MacGregor - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Stories from the Ballads, Told to the Children, by Mary Esther Miller MacGregor (1876 - 1961)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/stories-from-the-ballads-told-to-the-children-by-mary-esther-miller-macgregor/

Volunteers outside the USA: Mary Esther Miller MacGregor died in 1961. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

Listen, children, for you will wish to hear where I found the tales which I have told you in this little book.

It is long, oh! so long ago, that they were sung up hill and down dale by wandering singers who soon became known all over the country as minstrels, or ofttimes, because they would carry with them a harp, as harpers.

In court, in cottage, by princes and by humble folk, everywhere, by every one the minstrels were greeted with delight.

To such sweet music did they sing the songs or ballads which they made or perchance had heard, to such sweet music, that those who listened could forget nor tale nor tune.

In those far-off days of minstrelsy the country was alive with fairies. Over the mountains, through the glens, by babbling streams and across silent moors, the patter of tiny feet might be heard, feet which had strayed from Elfinland.

It was of these little folk and of their visits to the homes of mortals that the minstrels sang. Sterner songs too were theirs, songs of war and bloodshed, when clan fought with clan and lives were lost and brave deeds were done. Of all indeed that made life glad or sad, of these the minstrels sang.

From town to village, from court to inn they wandered, singing the old songs, adding verses to them here, dropping lines from them there, singing betimes a strain unheard before, until at length the day came when the songs were written down.

It was in the old books that thus came to be written that I first found these tales, and when you have read them perhaps you will wish to go yourself to the same old books, to find many another song of love and hate, of joy and sorrow. (Summary by Mary Macgregor)

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22175

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Esther_MacGregor (Mary Esther Miller MacGregor)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 7
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known):
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Stories from the Ballads, Told to the Children. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Stories from the Ballads, Told to the Children, by Mary Esther Miller MacGregor. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Stories from the Ballads, Told to the Children, by Mary Esther Miller MacGregor."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: storiesfromtheballads_##_macgregor_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. storiesfromtheballads_01_macgregor_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
davehli

Post by davehli »

I'd like to take section 1 - The Young Tamlane.
vmead

Post by vmead »

I would like to do section 4 Thomas the Rhymer, please.
Currently volunteering for my senior project. Expecting to graduate with a BS in Information and Library Science, Dec. '21!
YvetteD

Post by YvetteD »

Hello there,

I would love to read section 5 - Lizzie Lindsay, please.

This will be my first reading with LibriVox!

Thanks,
Yvette
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you to all of you! Please be sure to read the first post.
geeowlfairy

Post by geeowlfairy »

Hi,

I would like to read Section 2 - Hynde Etin, please.

Thanks! :)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

geeowlfairy wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:03 am Hi,

I would like to read Section 2 - Hynde Etin, please.

Thanks! :)
All yours
docdlmartin

Post by docdlmartin »

May I claim section (or is it chapter) 7?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

docdlmartin wrote: September 7th, 2021, 5:04 pm May I claim section (or is it chapter) 7?
It’s section 7, which is also chapter 7. That isn’t always the case for various reasons.
Faithann

Post by Faithann »

Hi,
May I have section 3, please?
Thanks!
Faithann
geeowlfairy

Post by geeowlfairy »

Hello,

Here's Section 2 - Hynde Etin:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/storiesfromtheballads_02_macgregor_128kb.mp3

Duration: 14:32

This is my first ever recording on Librivox. That was fun!
I hope it sounds ok! :)

Gievah
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

geeowlfairy wrote: September 8th, 2021, 2:50 am Hello,

Here's Section 2 - Hynde Etin:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/storiesfromtheballads_02_macgregor_128kb.mp3

Duration: 14:32

This is my first ever recording on Librivox. That was fun!
I hope it sounds ok! :)

Gievah
Thank you. Please be sure to check back for notes.
vmead

Post by vmead »

Currently volunteering for my senior project. Expecting to graduate with a BS in Information and Library Science, Dec. '21!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Section 2 PL OK