Complete[Poetry] A Tree with a Bird in it by Margaret Widdemer-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

A Tree with a Bird in it: a symposium of contemporary american poets on being shown a pear-tree on which sat a grackle, by Margaret Widdemer (1884 - 1978)

• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-tree-with-a-bird-in-it-a-symposium-of-contemporary-american-poets-on-being-shown-a-pear-tree-on-which-sat-a-grackle-by-margaret-widdemer/

Volunteers outside the USA: Margaret Widdemer died in 1978. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
A Tree with a Bird in it: a symposium of contemporary American poets on being shown a pear-tree on which sat a grackle is a collection of poems based on a bird in a tree. The author parodies various contemporary poets in 1922 with their versions of a poem based on the aforementioned topic. (Summary by Mleigh)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36831

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: parodies, 20th century poetry

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"[Poem title], by Margaret Widdemer writing as [author listed in MW] read for LibriVox dot org by [your name]"
Please also read any introductory text in each section.

End of recording:
Say:
"End of poem. This recording is in the public domain."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Tree with a Bird in it: a symposium of contemporary american poets on being shown a pear-tree on which sat a grackle, by Margaret Widdemer."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: treewithabirdinit_##_widdemer_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. treewithabirdinit_01_widdemer_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Oh, what fun! Does the gender of the imagined poet have to match that of the reader, and may the same reader read more than one section? I'm particularly interested in "The Bird with the Woe" and "The Sighing Tree," and if we're limited to one I'd especially like to read "The Sighing Tree."
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

JoannaHoyt wrote: June 26th, 2021, 11:09 am Oh, what fun! Does the gender of the imagined poet have to match that of the reader, and may the same reader read more than one section? I'm particularly interested in "The Bird with the Woe" and "The Sighing Tree," and if we're limited to one I'd especially like to read "The Sighing Tree."
No, gender does not need to match. And you may certainly read more than one.

I'll hold those 2 sections for you.

Thank you,

M
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I will MC this for you. It looks like a lot of fun.
Thanks!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

alg1001 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 11:54 am I will MC this for you. It looks like a lot of fun.
Thanks!
-Amy
Thank you. I've started putting the titles in.

M
svonb002

Post by svonb002 »

Hello. May I claim sections 1, 11, and 42?
~ Stefan V.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

svonb002 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 10:42 pm Hello. May I claim sections 1, 11, and 42?
They are yours to read.

Thank you,

M
tecumseh

Post by tecumseh »

I would like to make a recording of:

Section12 - Chicago Memories by Carl Sandburg

I am a new reader and have just submitted my 1 minute test here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tecumseh.mp3
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

tecumseh wrote: June 28th, 2021, 4:59 pm I would like to make a recording of:

I am a new reader and have just submitted my 1 minute test here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tecumseh.mp3
What name would you like to use in the catalog for your recordings? It can by your username, your real name, or... Please let me know. We can also link to a personal web site if you want. Once I get the above information, I'll create an entry for you and will assign the requested section to you.

Welcome to LibriVox. Be warned, it can become addicting but it is also a lot of fun and worthwhile. I wish I had discovered the site before last year.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for volunteering,

M
tecumseh

Post by tecumseh »

mleigh wrote: June 28th, 2021, 5:30 pm
What name would you like to use in the catalog for your recordings? It can by your username, your real name, or... Please let me know. We can also link to a personal web site if you want. Once I get the above information, I'll create an entry for you and will assign the requested section to you.
My claim should have been for section 8 (Sandburg) not 12.

Please make my catalog name Sheridan Alistair
PS: my test has been approved.

Edit: Could I take section 12 Rainuv by Ezra Pound as well?
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

tecumseh wrote: June 28th, 2021, 5:49 pm
mleigh wrote: June 28th, 2021, 5:30 pm
My claim should have been for section 8 (Sandburg) not 12.

Please make my catalog name Sheridan Alistair
PS: my test has been approved.

Edit: Could I take section 12 Rainuv by Ezra Pound as well?
Sure thing, you can have both sections.

Thanks

M
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I'll move you to Short Works. Please advertise for a proof listener if one doesn't come along.
Cheers!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
JubilantJacqui

Post by JubilantJacqui »

Hi there, I would like to claim “Tea O’Herbs” and "The Symposium Leading Nowhere”.
Thank you!
Nichole James
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

JubliantJacqui wrote: June 28th, 2021, 7:12 pm Hi there, I would like to claim “Tea O’Herbs” and "The Symposium Leading Nowhere”.
Thank you!
Thank you. Those two sections are yours. I looked over the latter poem and it looked quite fun.

Please, in the future, also include the section number in your requests as it makes assigning the sections much easier for the BC.

M
JubilantJacqui

Post by JubilantJacqui »

I agree! It's definitely a gem. Thank you for the tip I will do that in the future.
Nichole James