[COMPLETE] Kéramos and other Poems, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
svonb002

Post by svonb002 »

Hello. May I claim section 15?
~ Stefan V.
msfry

Post by msfry »

svonb002 wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 11:06 am Hello. May I claim section 15?
Indeed you may! Thank you.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here is The Three Kings

(The Poets and The Harvest Moon were previously posted but not in the MW)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/keramosandotherpoems_14_longfellow_128kb.mp3 3:46
~ Larry
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you Larry. 14, 23, and 25 are PL OK. On future readings, please see pronunciation guide in First Post: Ke-ra'-mos, stress on second syllable as in ceramics.

There are so many quotable quotes in these poems. Here's one you read:

Not in the clamor of the crowded street,
Not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng,
But in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.
Last edited by msfry on June 24th, 2021, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

51 is PL OK.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: June 24th, 2021, 7:28 am Thank you Larry. 14, 23, and 25 are PL OK. On future readings, please see pronunciation guide in First Post: Ke-ra'-mos, stress on second syllable as in ceramics.

There are so many quotable quotes in these poems. Here's one you read:

Not in the clamor of the crowded street,
Not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng,
But in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.
Good one, for sure.

Ok, I do admit I overlooked the pronunciation guide.
But, I am confused because it is even written with accent on the first syllable which is the normal Greek pronunciation. All of the pronunciation sites also have it that way as well. If you really want it the other way, however, I'm perfectly willing to revise these for consistency.
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill wrote: June 24th, 2021, 8:58 am Ok, I do admit I overlooked the pronunciation guide.
But, I am confused because it is even written with accent on the first syllable which is the normal Greek pronunciation. All of the pronunciation sites also have it that way as well. If you really want it the other way, however, I'm perfectly willing to revise these for consistency.
No worries. I found sites that recommend either way, and picked one. Consistency was my goal but it really doesn't matter to me. The first poem, Kéramos, starts out in that city and goes on a tour through the ceramics of famous European pottery centers. I figured the word ceramics came from the name of that city, and the accent over the é just made it say the a sound. I am no linguist.
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

Can I take "Virgil's First" and "Forsaken?" I haven't done much reading of poetry for LV. This'll be a new experience for me.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Lector1 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 10:53 am Can I take "Virgil's First" and "Forsaken?" I haven't done much reading of poetry for LV. This'll be a new experience for me.
Certainly. Let's see, that is Section 37 and 42, right?
No experience needed. The key to reading poetry, I think, is to sort of "chew it up and squeeze the juice out of it".
And of course, a little practice makes it "taste better". :mrgreen:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Michael, when I try to search for Keramos from the home page, it says No Results Found. I suspect this is because of that accented e which of course nobody will be typing in. Would it be wise, then, to use a normal e?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

msfry wrote: June 24th, 2021, 12:24 pm Michael, when I try to search for Keramos from the home page, it says No Results Found. I suspect this is because of that accented e which of course nobody will be typing in. Would it be wise, then, to use a normal e?
Thanks for checking, Michele. Our search engine should be able to handle that, so I'm not sure what's going on. I think I may have copied an oddball é from the Worldcat page, because if the word is copied from there, the title is retrieved, but when I type the é using my keyboard, it is not. I just used my keyboard to update the title in the database, so hopefully the issue will go away after the change propagates through the system.

Michael
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

[/quote]Certainly. Let's see, that is Section 37 and 42, right?
No experience needed. The key to reading poetry, I think, is to sort of "chew it up and squeeze the juice out of it".
And of course, a little practice makes it "taste better". :mrgreen:
[/quote]
Here's my first contribution:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/keramosandotherpoems_37_longfellow_128kb.mp3 (Time: 6:45).
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Keramos 37 A hard piece to read, so thanks for taking it on.
Now to my notes:
You sometimes drop syllables and/or run words together, resulting in some of these mistakes:
:45 ; his alter ....... is truncated.
:59 rustic reed, you said seed
2:57 for the city ungrateful, I hear say
4:42 turtle doves, I hear turl doves
There are other slurs but they can be more easily ciphered.

3:37 to end, volume picks up for remainder of file. Recommend you boost volume from 0 - 3:37 by Effect/Amplify +2

The background noise at 57dB exceeds Checker's tolerances. I recommend you apply a bit of Noise Reduction to your file. In Audacity, I would select about 4 seconds of silence from the end of each file, go Effects/Noise Reduction/Get Noise Profile. Then select the entire file, go Effect/Noise Reduction/set settings to 12, 6, 3, Reduce/OK. This should cut down the background noise by about half, without affecting your voice quality. NOTE: Different people use different settings, so feel free to experiment, and beware that if you do additional passes it might begin to affect the quality.

Correct these errors, save and upload using the same file name, and post here.
Last edited by msfry on June 25th, 2021, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.