[COMPLETE] The Gentle Persuasion: Sketches of Scottish Life , by Alan Gray - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

fredtheredcat wrote: July 21st, 2021, 1:12 pm I would like to try Part 5, Crossing the Rubicon. This will be my first real text to read (I'm new), so I'll certainly get feedback, but I've read into it a little and I love the writing. :)

That being said, I'm from Germany and I can't currently access gutenberg.org, but I found a pdf of The Gentle Persuasion. Would somebody mind confirming if the text is the same? If yes, I'm ready to read more passages in the future. This is the link: https://www.electricscotland.com/books/pdf/gentlepersuasion.pdf
I did a quick look and it is the same edition. So, I have given you section 5. I hope you enjoy reading it and that you enjoy reading for LibriVox.

Thank you for volunteering,

M
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Attached is part 4, The Parting of the Ways, running 10:17. My expectation of some 'Scot-talk" as it were, was not disappointed, so much so that I spent a half-hour listening to an authentic Scot U-tuberess give lessons in pronouncing towns and cities. (A lot of 'never mind the letters, this is how it's said, which I guess is not unique to Scots, that's for sure). Let me know if I went over- or under-board on my interpretation of Scot-speak. I KNOW I had fun doing it!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/gentlepersuasion_04_gray_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Brize
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

BrizeCrize wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 1:06 pm Attached is part 4, The Parting of the Ways, running 10:17. My expectation of some 'Scot-talk" as it were, was not disappointed, so much so that I spent a half-hour listening to an authentic Scot U-tuberess give lessons in pronouncing towns and cities. (A lot of 'never mind the letters, this is how it's said, which I guess is not unique to Scots, that's for sure). Let me know if I went over- or under-board on my interpretation of Scot-speak. I KNOW I had fun doing it!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/gentlepersuasion_04_gray_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Brize
You're braver than I am. :D
I didn't even attempt a Scottish accent in the two chapters I've read.

I've put it in the MW and marked as Ready for PL.

Thank you,

M
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Thanks, M. Yes, I look forward to having a listen to your and the others' take on the more 'regional' dialect when this title is done. I was focusing less on actual accent (except on the phonetically spelled words of course) and more on capturing that Scottish disdain for the nonsensical in my voice. We'll see what the PL thinks. I don't think I could even do an acceptable English accent, let alone a Scottish.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

BrizeCrize wrote: July 26th, 2021, 7:21 am ... We'll see what the PL thinks...
Thank you for your trust in my opinion, but English is not my native, and I've never been to Scotland. In fact, I am looking at this project as an opportunity to learn more about Scotland.
Also, PL folks are not supposed to comment on accents :lol:
Please give me a day or two to get to the chapter...
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Ch.4 PL OK :thumbs:
I don't know how Scottish the accent is, but I enjoyed it :D
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

I don't know how Scottish the accent is, but I enjoyed it
Ha Ha Ha...well you know, we gotta stay in our own wheelhouse...I know I FELT a little Scottish anyway. :wink: Thanks
bsaintsmith

Post by bsaintsmith »

I would like to read a section here.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

bsaintsmith wrote: August 10th, 2021, 11:13 am I would like to read a section here.

Welcome to LibriVox.

You are free to request whatever open section you would like to read. (Scottish accent not required. :) ) Also, for your first recording we need to know what name you would like to use for the LibriVox catalog. It can be you username, real name, nickname, etc.

Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here.

We ask that you complete a 1 minute test as mentioned in the above Newbie Guide. This is so that your settings can be checked to verify that they match the LibriVox requirements.

Please let me know what chapter you would like to read of the 4 open ones and your desired catalog name and that section will be all yours.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

M
bsaintsmith

Post by bsaintsmith »

Hi M, thanks for the information. I've gone over the recording specs, and am downloading. I haven't decided which section to read (am trying to navigate back to the sections), and am pretty sure my Scottish accent would NOT suffice, so I'll just keep it flowing :)
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

bsaintsmith wrote: August 12th, 2021, 3:09 pm ... pretty sure my Scottish accent would NOT suffice...
Hello, Bsaintsmith, and welcome to LV! :clap:
There is no such thing as "accent not suffice". We do not demand, nor reject ANY accents here. As long as you pass the 1-min test, you are good for any LV project. Therfore, of course, you would be welcome in any of the group projects here. Enjoy! :D
fredtheredcat

Post by fredtheredcat »

Hello again,

I finished chapter 5, that was assigned to me, and now I would like to give the recording up for proof-listening. Should I post the link to the file right here or should I make a separate thread in the Listeners and Editors Wanted section?

A wonderful weekend to you.
Please call me Fred. I am a literary enthusiast from Germany (UTC+2/CEST).
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

fredtheredcat wrote: August 13th, 2021, 9:00 am Hello again,

I finished chapter 5, that was assigned to me, and now I would like to give the recording up for proof-listening. Should I post the link to the file right here or should I make a separate thread in the Listeners and Editors Wanted section?

A wonderful weekend to you.
You have a wonderful weekend too.

Have you uploaded the file as described in the instructions on the first page of this forum? If so, just post the URL and time of the recording here and then it will get PL'd by our great DPL.

I hope that answers your question. If not, Let me know and I'll try to explain myself better.

Thanks,

M
fredtheredcat

Post by fredtheredcat »

mleigh wrote: August 13th, 2021, 7:09 pm You have a wonderful weekend too.

Have you uploaded the file as described in the instructions on the first page of this forum? If so, just post the URL and time of the recording here and then it will get PL'd by our great DPL.

I hope that answers your question. If not, Let me know and I'll try to explain myself better.

Thanks,

M
Thank you for your quick response. Here is the link to my recording of Chapter 5, Crossing the Rubicon, at a duration of 12:31.
Please call me Fred. I am a literary enthusiast from Germany (UTC+2/CEST).
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

fredtheredcat wrote: August 14th, 2021, 8:09 am
mleigh wrote: August 13th, 2021, 7:09 pm You have a wonderful weekend too.

Thanks,

M
Thank you for your quick response. Here is the link to my recording of Chapter 5, Crossing the Rubicon, at a duration of 12:31.
Thank you. It is Ready for PL

M