(Complete) Coffee Break Collection #33 -- GARDENING - Lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Betty. Your essay is PL OK. I have put a link to your book in the First Post, as there are many chapters of interest therein.

I've spent 48 years trying to landscape my 2.5 acres, and I can tell you it takes a LOT of plants to make a tiny splash of color. One does learn to keep the smaller plants close by, and rely on large flowering shrubs and trees in the distance. One goal has been achieved, though, of always having some flower, year round, to display up close in my 3 little vases where we spend our time. Sometimes I cheat, and rely on the abundant roadside weeds.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hello Michele

here a small contribution from me, for all those who are interested in tea roses. :) I hope it is acceptable for your collection:

Title: "Tea roses on the open ground" (from the Floral Magazine / no author named specifically)
Text: https://archive.org/details/floralmagazineco81879domb/page/n16/mode/2up
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc33_tearoses_ss_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:13 min.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Sonia.
A nice contribution. PL OK
Who doesn't like tea roses? :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: July 11th, 2021, 10:08 am Thanks, Sonia.
A nice contribution. PL OK
Who doesn't like tea roses? :D
thank you for the fast PL :) I'm happy you liked it.

My favourite flowers are carnations: they come in almost every colour and keep very long :9:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc33_pointofview_bbs_128kb.mp3

Time is 9.19

"The Point of View" from The Manual of Gardening by L.H. Bailey Published 1912
Liberty Hyde Bailey 1858-1954

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Hyde_Bailey

https://archive.org/details/manualofgardenin00bail_0/page/n23/mode/2up

BettyB
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you Betty. The Point of View is PL OK, in more ways than one, because it is also MY point of view! I let certain weeds grow on my acreage because they are hardy and lovely. Dandelions and violets are two of my favorites because they are edible, as are muskedine, honeysuckle, elderberry, and thistle. I also enjoy a variety of ferns, native elephant ears and other bulbs, and coriopsis (a beautiful roadside weed).
Great book. I'll peruse it.
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Coffee Break Gardening readers: Michele (msfry) is without power in her Louisiana home and likely won't get it back for period of time.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Bill, for covering for me. I finally got my power back late this evening after hurricane IDA rattled our city ----- to my great surprise as they said so much of our area is supposed to be down for 3 weeks! Air Conditioning is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! Internet is wonderful. So glad to be back online.
rachelmayferriman

Post by rachelmayferriman »

Hello, I am sorry to hear of the chaos caused by the storms.

Here is my contribution, I hope it is usable at 8 secs over 15 mins and that the theme of 'Gardening' is covered enough in the descriptions of Kew Gardens?

Title: Kew Gardens
Author: Virginia Woolf (1882 - 1941)
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29220
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc33_kewgardens_rmf_128kb.mp3
15:08

Kind Regards,
Rachel
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Rachael. Kew Gardens is PL OK.

Could I perhaps get you to PL my file, Our Experience In Crops, above?
rachelmayferriman

msfry wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 6:48 am Thanks, Rachael. Kew Gardens is PL OK.

With pleasure! I haven’t PL’d anything before but will see what Librivox says about it - and do it.
msfry

Post by msfry »

rachelmayferriman wrote: September 4th, 2021, 6:44 am
msfry wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 6:48 am Thanks, Rachael. Kew Gardens is PL OK.

With pleasure! I haven’t PL’d anything before but will see what Librivox says about it - and do it.
It's not hard, just a bit time consuming (as long as it takes to listen to the file plus about 5 minutes). I always follow along with the text, which reveals any missed lines or words that are so way off they change meaning, notate the time where the error occurs, and report something like:
12:22, "the cat chased the dog", you say ate.
14:05 missing phrase "and then the cat chased the dog around the block."
Double check the Intro and Outro, with 1 second and 5 seconds of silence respectively at beginning and end.
And it helps to run the file through Checker to check for volume, background noise, and filename issues (especially with new readers whose equipment might not be set up correctly).
It would be great to have you PL my file. LV is always in need of Proof Listeners. :D
rachelmayferriman

msfry wrote: September 4th, 2021, 7:54 am
rachelmayferriman wrote: September 4th, 2021, 6:44 am

It's not hard, just a bit time consuming (as long as it takes to listen to the file plus about 5 minutes). I always follow along with the text, which reveals any missed lines or words that are so way off they change meaning, notate the time where the error occurs, and report something like:
12:22, "the cat chased the dog", you say ate.
14:05 missing phrase "and then the cat chased the dog around the block."
Double check the Intro and Outro, with 1 second and 5 seconds of silence respectively at beginning and end.
And it helps to run the file through Checker to check for volume, background noise, and filename issues (especially with new readers whose equipment might not be set up correctly).
It would be great to have you PL my file. LV is always in need of Proof Listeners. :D
Thank you, Michele - Perfect reading!

Just one PL Note: the LibriVox disclaimer is not included in the intro as per the instructions in first post.

For when I PL in the future, if I have notes am I meant to go into the MW and add the ‘PL Note’ link to them and change the status of the column to ‘See PL Note’?