[COMPLETE] Narratives of Colored Americans by A. Mott, M. S. Wood-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TommyMer

Post by TommyMer »

My version of Audacity, which I believe to be most up to date, does not have the option of "Constant" bit rate. Choices are: Preset, Variable or Average.

Preset has a bit rate of 170 -210 kbps.

Variable has a quality of 170 -210 as well.

Although the third option, Average "claims" a quality of 128 kbps (shows those numbers on the Quality screen) it apparently lies.

p.s. I downloaded two earlier Audacity version that offered the same menu.

Tom
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TommyMer wrote: July 30th, 2021, 9:51 am My version of Audacity, which I believe to be most up to date, does not have the option of "Constant" bit rate. Choices are: Preset, Variable or Average.

Although the third option, Average "claims" a quality of 128 kbps (shows those numbers on the Quality screen) it apparently lies.

Tom
Won't repeat the discussion from the other project, and if we can't get this sorted out, it is not a big deal for me to make the necessary changes. I really appreciate your contribution. I hope you won't let these tech things discourage you. There is always a solution somewhere.
~ Larry
Mmemari

Post by Mmemari »

Good Evening,

The Corrected link has been posted for Section 56: The Hospitable Negro Woman. I'm not sure if I placed the footnote
in the proper place, if not I'd be more than happy to redo it, or make any other necessary changes. Just let me know.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_56_mott_128kb.mp3

00:06:15

-Mari
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TommyMer wrote: July 30th, 2021, 9:51 am My version of Audacity, which I believe to be most up to date, does not have the option of "Constant" bit rate. Choices are: Preset, Variable or Average.

Tom
Let's try one more thing before you give up on this. I suspect that you are looking at another menu somewhere else in Audacity. Can you walk me through exactly how you get to the settings you listed above? (If I'm way off the mark, I hope you don't take it the wrong way. I don't know what kind of help you may have already received from others.)

When you go to File>Export as MP3, the window that pops up should look like this:

This screen shot was taken from Audacity 3.0.3 on Windows 10. Is this what you see?

EDIT: If you are not seeing that last option, is it possible to resize the window, to drag it larger? That should display it.
TommyMer

Post by TommyMer »

I would love to send you a screenshot of the screen I described in detail in my previous email. It would speak much better than my words.

It is EXACTLY as I described, unbelievable as it may seem to be. I don't know what more I say or do, you being the third person who insists that it isn't possible that CONSTANT is NOT an option in the screen displaying the choices one has re: kbps.

The screen on which this information is displayed is NOT expandable. I don't believe the screen in the screenshot you sent is either.

I have Audacity 3.0.2, and I am on a Mac.

Let me describe in greater detail how my screen appears when I choose EXPORT and EXPORT as MP3:

Top center "Export Audio" (above, in gray, SAVE)

Save As: ________________
Tags: ________________
Where: ________________

File type: ________________

Format Options

Bit Rate Mode: Preset Variable Average (choosing Average sets Quality @ 128 kbps)

Quality _______________

Channel Mode: Joint Stereo Stereo Forc (mono)

Then the CANCEL SAVE at bottom.

Thanks for trying to help.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Mmemari wrote: July 30th, 2021, 7:09 am Good morning,
The corrected file Section 38 the Generous Negro has just been uploaded.

00:05:45

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_38_mott_128kb.mp3

-Mari
:thumbs: PL OK.

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

ComfortKC wrote: July 26th, 2021, 12:04 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_64_mott_128kb.mp3 12:48

Section 64 The Injured Africans is ready for review. Thanks.

Kevin
Sections 64 and 65 are both PL OK.

You read very nicely. The only comment I have is that you might want to shorten some of your silences/pauses in sections. No need todo it with either of these though.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Mmemari wrote: July 30th, 2021, 6:29 pm Good Evening,

The Corrected link has been posted for Section 56: The Hospitable Negro Woman. I'm not sure if I placed the footnote
in the proper place, if not I'd be more than happy to redo it, or make any other necessary changes. Just let me know.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_56_mott_128kb.mp3

00:06:15

-Mari
I really enjoy listening to your reading. You have a pleasant voice. The footnote is fine where it is. However, your addition to it baffled me at first. You need to replace your current words after "These simple and affecting sentiments have been very beautifully versified." with the verses that follow that sentence.

Please let me know if I have not been clear in what is needed. I tend to know what I mean and not always make it the most understandable for anyone else.

Thanks,

M
Mmemari

Post by Mmemari »

Hello,

thanks for the feedback, Yes! I must say I was baffled as well when I listened to it :shock: but I couldn't quite figure out what should go where.

So then, I should place the sentence: "These beautiful and affecting sentiments..." right after the quote right?
In other words, I am quoting the song within the text, and then reading the same quote at the very end to reference the footnote, but ending with "These beautiful and affecting sentiment..."

Hope I haven't confused things :hmm:

-Mari
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Mmemari wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 5:57 pm Hello,

thanks for the feedback, Yes! I must say I was baffled as well when I listened to it :shock: but I couldn't quite figure out what should go where.

So then, I should place the sentence: "These beautiful and affecting sentiments..." right after the quote right?
In other words, I am quoting the song within the text, and then reading the same quote at the very end to reference the footnote, but ending with "These beautiful and affecting sentiment..."

Hope I haven't confused things :hmm:

-Mari
It is really confusing the way it is written. But, here is my take on it.

Please delete from 5:41 through 6:00. Insert the text below instead. It is very similar.

1. The loud wind roar'd, the rain fell fast,
The white man yielded to the blast.
He sat him down beneath the tree,
For weary, sad, and faint was he:
And ah! no wife's or mother's care,
For him the milk or corn prepare.

CHORUS.

The white man shall our pity share—
Alas! no wife's or mother's care
For him the milk or corn prepare.

2. The storm is o'er, the tempest past,
And Mercy's voice has hush'd the blast;
The wind is heard in whispers low,
The white man far away must go;
But ever in his heart will bear
Remembrance of the negro's care.

CHORUS.

Go, white man, go; but with thee bear
The negro's wish, the negro's prayer,
Remembrance of the negro's care.

Thanks,

M
TommyMer

Post by TommyMer »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TommyMer wrote: August 5th, 2021, 9:57 am Section 66, Quamino Buccan, Time: 17:0.58

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_66_mott_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Tom
Thank you!
Ready for PL
~ Larry
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

TommyMer wrote: August 5th, 2021, 9:57 am Section 66, Quamino Buccan, Time: 17:0.58

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_66_mott_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Tom
Just one correction needs to be made here. The text is repeated from 15:06-15:58 and 15:59-16:50. Please pick one of them and delete the other and then re-post.

You also have a bit of background noise. It sounds likes cars, etc. Do you have a quieter place you could record? You don't need to do anything within this recording as the noise level is acceptable. It is just a suggestion for the future.

Thanks,

M
TommyMer

Post by TommyMer »

Corrections to #66 Quamino Buccan, time - 12:6.9

Thanks, Tom
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TommyMer wrote: August 6th, 2021, 8:46 am Corrections to #66 Quamino Buccan, time - 12:6.9

Thanks, Tom
Thank you!
I've marked this Ready for PL

Just trying to figure out how the time went from 17 minutes to 12 . . . . :hmm:
~ Larry