Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is Section 2--a wonderful Michelangelo fantasy:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0110_2_various_128kb.mp3

29:10

Jim :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

angeloscarinzi wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:18 amHello ! I would like to claim section 6 "Jeannot and Colin, by Voltaire". :D
Angelo Scarinzi, 20:17, Milan - Italy
buon giorno Angelo e benvenuto nel foro Librivox :) (my Italian is a bit rusty, so I will continue in English :wink: )

thank you for your interest in the Rover magazine and I see you already passed your minute test :thumbs: so I am looking forward to hearing your chapter narrated.

Section 6 is now officially reserved for you (for 2 months) and here is your personal reader page where all your projects will be listed: https://librivox.org/reader/16121 If you like to have another reader name, (other than your forum name) please let me know and I can still change it.

As you are new to the projects, please read carefully through the first post, where you can find all the details on how to say the intro disclaimer correctly and how to name your finished file.

All the best for your first recording.

Oh and if you are interested in participating in an Italian group project, there is currently a dramatic play in the making and they are still looking for a male role :) viewtopic.php?f=60&t=85638. Here is the forum for languages other than English, I see there are currently 4 projects where you can record in Italian, if ever you want to (or maybe you speak any of the other languages as well, who knows :mrgreen:) : viewforum.php?f=60

Sonia
NBHASKAR22

Post by NBHASKAR22 »

Hello! I would like to claim section 3.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NBHASKAR22 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 6:44 amHello! I would like to claim section 3.
Hello and welcome to our forum NBHASKAR22 :)

Thank you for your interest in this project, and I can reserve you section 3 for the time being. This actually will make us fully claimed and I'll move us over to Readers Found.

However, before you start recording, we strongly recommend to complete a one-minute-test first. This is to check that your technical settings are all up to LV standard.
You can read all about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Please post the test in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback or advice if needed.

As soon as the test is ok'ed, please post the results back here, and then I can assign you the sections officially. For that I would need to open a personal reader page for you, so please also tell me which reader name you want to go by. Can be the same as the forum name or your real name, or whatever.

For the moment, I will reserve the section for you for one month, to give you time to sort out the test. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Good luck with the test !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:27 amHere is Section 2--a wonderful Michelangelo fantasy:
oh yes, I loved this romantic love-story, especially because it has a happy ending. :9: The stories seem to become less gloomy in this magazine, which is good. Some were a bit too sad in the past :(

Excellent reading again, but I found a few notes to correct:

> at 2:10: (p. 147) you missed one entire line here (underlined): "of passion which some stern command or unkind fate refused to render happy"

> at 9:47: (p. 148): stumble and repeat, can be cut once: "anticipating the stranger's question"

thank you, Jim !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is the corrected version:

29:12

Jim (sorry about wasting your time with such blatant errors)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and since we are fully claimed, I launched Part 11: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=86987

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 11:12 am Here is the corrected version:
thank you, now PL ok :)

have a nice weekend

Sonia
angeloscarinzi

Post by angeloscarinzi »

Good afternoon, quick question for my first recording from which page should I start reading the book, page 158-160 of the book itself or the page that is indicated out of 514 pages in total on the computer screen?

Angelo Scarinzi
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

angeloscarinzi wrote: April 25th, 2021, 9:22 amGood afternoon, quick question for my first recording from which page should I start reading the book, page 158-160 of the book itself or the page that is indicated out of 514 pages in total on the computer screen?
yes it is a bit confusing, but I was actually referring to the page numbering in the book scan. This is the direct link to your story: https://archive.org/details/rover02labrgoog/page/n199/mode/2up You see by the title where the story starts.

Sonia
angeloscarinzi

Post by angeloscarinzi »

Good evening,
Here is my recording of the wonderful story by Voltaire " Jeannot and Colin" :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0110_6.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

angeloscarinzi wrote: April 25th, 2021, 11:13 amHere is my recording of the wonderful story by Voltaire " Jeannot and Colin" :D
thank you, I see you found the page alone :lol:

please always include the length of the file in your post.

Also: careful with the filenaming, always refer to the first post to see an example of how to correctly name the file. In your case it should have been: rover0110_6_various_128kb

But no need to reupload right away, let me first PL the section (tomorrow though) and wait for feedback and maybe other mistakes that can be corrected at the same time.

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

angeloscarinzi wrote: April 25th, 2021, 11:13 amHere is my recording of the wonderful story by Voltaire " Jeannot and Colin" :D
hello Angelo and thank you for your recording. You are reading very clearly, and considering English is not your mothertongue, you don't read too fast, so the readers can understand it quite well. I could imagine that if you record in Italian it will even be more fun to listen to. There are some Italian group projects in case you want to participate there 8-)

I have started to listen to the file but I think, considering there were still many stumbles in the recording, you may have uploaded the unedited file. Could you please have a look once more ? :hmm:

I checked the first 5 minutes of the recording now which is the second column on page 158. There were quite some stumbles and textual errors that I found. The list would get too long to enumerate them all till the end of the file, so I prefer asking first if you uploaded the correct file. Could you please check the rest of your recording for similar mistakes and correct/clean them out before you upload ? The finished file should present as clean a text as possible, so that the prooflistener only has to look out for missed lines or other small oversights.

Here is what I found so far, so you'll know what to look out for:

for page 158:
> at 0:33: "have seen Jeannot and Colin" – I hear "have been"
> at 2:15: stumble and repeat: ""Monsieur the marquis" – one "ma" can get cut
> at 2:37: stumble and repeat: "sufficiently dignified" – one "di" can get cut
> at 2:57: stumble and repeat: "an immense fortune" – one "for" can get cut
> at 3:30: stumble and repeat: "a man of very great talent" – "of great" can get cut once
> at 3:38: "than the cannon had blown up" – I hear "the callon"
> at 3:52: "into the speculations" – you say "spectaculations"
> at 4:15: stumble and repeat: "they are at a loss" – "at a, at a joss" can be cut
> at 5:03-5:05: between "the little marquis" and "returned no answer" – the silence is too long here, especially because it's inside one sentence.

Don't worry, there is no need to re-record the entire text. Most of these stumbles can easily get cut out if you enlarge the view so that you can accurately highlight the seconds that were wrong. If there is a textual error, re-recording that part of the sentence is fully enough. Record in another Audacity window (do you use that program ?) and then paste it in the right slot.

Something else you could correct right away:

> the volume is only 80 dB which is too low. We accept between 86 and 92, with preferred average of 89dB. The problem as I see it here are two plosives/clicks between 10:46 and 10:49 ("like monsieur de Marquise") If you could decrease by some -10 dB those two small spots, than you could uniformly raise the overall volume by +9 dB and you'd be inside a good average.

> at 0:00-0:05: at the beginning you leave too much silence. The 5-seconds of silence rule is standard for the END of the recording, but at the beginning we recommend 0.5-1 second maximum, otherwise it feels too long for a listener before the audio starts. Could you cut 4 seconds from the beginning please ?

And if you reupload please use the correct filename: rover0110_6_various_128kb

If you have any questions about editing, please don't hesitate to ask.

And don't be discouraged, the beginning is always the hardest. Editing a recording can take up to 4 or 5 times as long as the finished file. So you were quite daring to start with such a long file right at the beginning. I started with some short poems of one minute, so the learning process was less daunting. But with practice it will all become easier, don't worry. :)

Looking forward to the finished story.

Sonia
NBHASKAR22

Post by NBHASKAR22 »

Hi! I'm so sorry, but I am no longer able to do section 3.