[COMPLETE][History]World's Story 15: The World War - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The World’s Story Volume XV: The World War, by Horatio W. Dresser (1866-1954)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/worlds-story-xv-world-war-by-horatio-w-dresser/
This is the last volume of the 15-volume series <i>The World’s Story</i>, originally started by Eva March Tappan. This book, edited by Horatio W. Dresser (1866-1954) deals exclusively with the time of the First World War, the events leading up to it, the battles and war engines, the political and diplomatic background endeavours and the cost - human and monetary - of this War. (Summary by Sonia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/worldsstoryhisto15tapp

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

START of recording (Intro)
  • For long sections, use the full Librivox disclaimer / For short sections, use the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer. I will note down the sections which need the full disclaimer in the MW.
    Full disclaimer: “Section [number] of The World War. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
    If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    Say: “The World’s Story Volume XV: The World War, edited by Horatio W. Dresser. Section [number]. [Title] by [author]” (as stated in the MW)

Short disclaimer: "Section [number] of The World War, read for LibriVox.org by [your name]. [Title] by [author] (as stated in the MW)
    End of recording:
    Say:
    "End of section Number. This recording is in the public domain." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
    If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
    "End of The World’s Story. A history of the World in story, song and art. Volume XV: The World War, edited by Horatio W. Dresser."
    Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: worldstory15_##_dresser_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. worldstory15_01_dresser_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And we have finally arrived at the last book in the series. 8-)

This is all about World War I. As in the previous books, here is a reminder of the special rules for the entire project:

1) I would like to have the footnotes included. Just put them right after the footnote marker, or wherever you think it fits well.
Say: “Footnote - [read footnote] - End of Footnote”.
This is for pure footnotes, not for the editor's intros. Please read those the way they are written in the text.

2) the explanations to the illustrations will again be included. They have their special sections. Please include every detail from the title, including, painter, time, or whatever is written in the book. Basically everything that is written in the MW. And please also include the line "photograph (or) painting, page xx" at the end of the title.

3) I have noted down in the MW where to read the long LV disclaimer. All sections under 3 pages long can use the short disclaimer. Check the first post on how to read the intros.

Let's bring this entire series to a close. :9:

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Initial claim:
4 7 24 29 36 46 57 67 69 71 80 :D
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:04 am Initial claim:
4 7 24 29 36 46 57 67 69 71 80 :D
:shock: ok, someone is interested in WWI, I see. Thank you, Alan. You again get the award for first claims ;)

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'd like to read sections 20 and 33.

Nothing on the assassination of the archduke?? :hmm:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Can I add 35?
Growing up I was very aware of both World Wars, the second of which had only just ended. A Great Uncle of mine was killed in the first one. 😾
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:15 amI'd like to read sections 20 and 33.
Nothing on the assassination of the archduke?? :hmm:
thank you, Availle...maybe he gets a footnote in one of the chapters :hmm:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:17 amCan I add 35?
Growing up I was very aware of both World Wars, the second of which had only just ended. A Great Uncle of mine was killed in the first one. 😾
I think lots of people were :( and yes, you can have 35 as well.

I was never much a fan of war stories, but I am looking forward to hearing all these chapters.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read: Section 63 - which is not on page 336 but on 374; Sections 72, 74, 75, 89, 90, and 92?

Re the American Ambulance Field Service in sections 74-75 - years after the war, the surviving American (Ambulance) Field Service folks got together with their French colleagues and formed an international student scholarship exchange program called AFS. They exchanged high school students between the countries, to live with host families for a year to better understand each other's culture, in hopes of a more peaceful future world. The program is still alive and has grown to include many countries around the world: https://afs.org/

I was a student in that program. Being strictly monolingual (to my great discredit - some of you have heard me attempt other languages or even accents other than English and it is not pretty), I was sent to a country that spoke English.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 1st, 2021, 4:27 amMay I read: Section 63 - which is not on page 336 but on 374; Sections 72, 74, 75, 89, 90, and 92?
thank you, Todd :9: and indeed...don't know how the wrong page got in there :oops:
I was a student in that program. Being strictly monolingual (to my great discredit - some of you have heard me attempt other languages or even accents other than English and it is not pretty), I was sent to a country that spoke English.
interesting programme, I've never heard of it. We have some similar exchange programmes here as well. So you couldn't choose the destination ? Which country did you get to spend a year in if I may ask ?

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

New Zealand. Hence you will find that I PL'd a book of Maori Legends in my early days here.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 1st, 2021, 4:47 amNew Zealand. Hence you will find that I PL'd a book of Maori Legends in my early days here.
wow how exotic :9: I know New Zealand only from Xena and Lord of the Rings. The landscape is awesome.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hi Sonia!

Would love to be a part of the final volume, so could I claim 15, 25, 32, 50, 79 and 83? :)
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:34 amWould love to be a part of the final volume, so could I claim 15, 25, 32, 50, 79 and 83? :)
thank you, Tomas, sure. You'll be one of the chosen few who have participated in each of the books of this series 8-)

And I think with over 1/3 already claimed, we can straight move to Readers Wanted....

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hurray! What we've all been waiting for!

I'll take 6, 13, 40, and 76. :)