[COMPLETE]The Other Side of the Hill, F.W. Boreham-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AidanLSHS

Post by AidanLSHS »

mightyfelix wrote: March 27th, 2021, 9:01 pm
AidanLSHS wrote: March 27th, 2021, 7:47 pm I only have Sunday to do reading this week, so I gotta get this thing done :)
So to clarify, I download Audacity (the most recent version, which is 3.0), record the 1-minute test using the provided text, and then upload it and send the link here? thanks in advance. or do i just upload recordings of me reading and upload them here? sorry if I have questions that seem obvious, it's my first time using this website and my first time using Audacity. :help:
We ask that you submit your recording within 1-2 months, so if it has to wait till next week, no sweat. 8-)

You can use Audacity if you like. One advantage of course is that it's free. Another is that many people here use it, so it's easy to get help if you need it. However, if you're already familiar with another program (such as Loom, which I'm not familiar with), you can use it if you prefer, as long as you can produce a file that meets the technical specifications of:
Channel: Mono
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Sample format: 16 bit
Export format: MP3
Export bitrate: 128 kbps constant
The Peter Piper text was designed partly to check for sound issues such as noisy plosives ('p' sounds, etc), but you can use any text for your test. Just so long as it's short. After you upload it, you'll post the link in a new topic in the Listeners Wanted forum, not in this project thread.

No need to apologize. Everyone has questions starting out, and we were all new once. :D
what is the footnote that is mentioned?
AidanLSHS

Post by AidanLSHS »

mightyfelix wrote: March 27th, 2021, 9:01 pm
AidanLSHS wrote: March 27th, 2021, 7:47 pm I only have Sunday to do reading this week, so I gotta get this thing done :)
So to clarify, I download Audacity (the most recent version, which is 3.0), record the 1-minute test using the provided text, and then upload it and send the link here? thanks in advance. or do i just upload recordings of me reading and upload them here? sorry if I have questions that seem obvious, it's my first time using this website and my first time using Audacity. :help:
We ask that you submit your recording within 1-2 months, so if it has to wait till next week, no sweat. 8-)

You can use Audacity if you like. One advantage of course is that it's free. Another is that many people here use it, so it's easy to get help if you need it. However, if you're already familiar with another program (such as Loom, which I'm not familiar with), you can use it if you prefer, as long as you can produce a file that meets the technical specifications of:
Channel: Mono
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Sample format: 16 bit
Export format: MP3
Export bitrate: 128 kbps constant
The Peter Piper text was designed partly to check for sound issues such as noisy plosives ('p' sounds, etc), but you can use any text for your test. Just so long as it's short. After you upload it, you'll post the link in a new topic in the Listeners Wanted forum, not in this project thread.

No need to apologize. Everyone has questions starting out, and we were all new once. :D
what is the footnote for ch8? and where is the listeners wanted? thanks in advance
loom is a software that allows you to record videos of you reading things, and I'm used to that. it does require a camera tho and I'm not sure if you guys accept those. I'm not even sure if it can be converted into mp3. when i click download it gets converted in an mp4. and how long does it take to get feedback on the audacity test?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

AidanLSHS wrote: March 27th, 2021, 9:27 pm what is the footnote for ch8? and where is the listeners wanted? thanks in advance
loom is a software that allows you to record videos of you reading things, and I'm used to that. it does require a camera tho and I'm not sure if you guys accept those. I'm not even sure if it can be converted into mp3. when i click download it gets converted in an mp4. and how long does it take to get feedback on the audacity test?
If you look at page 76, where section 8 begins, you'll see a little number 1 next to the section title, and then a footnote numbered 1 down at the bottom of the page. So when you record, you'll read the title, "Companions of the Bush," then say "Footnote." Read the footnote, then say "End of footnote." Then start in on the main body of text. (This is the general format for how we read footnotes, by the way, although sometimes footnotes can be omitted. I want this one included, which is why I specified it in the notes.)

I don't know whether a video editor like that could be used to create an audio mp3 file. Audacity may be your best bet, in that case. There are a number of helpful videos that can help you work through setting it up and recording and uploading your test. You can browse those videos here, if you think they may be of help to you: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos

Listeners Wanted can be found here: viewforum.php?f=21 You'll find that our main forum is divided into smaller subforums, such as Readers Wanted (where we are now), Listeners Wanted, Book Suggestions, etc. You can see them all listed on the Board Index page.

As far as how long it takes to get feedback, that depends on how many of our volunteers are available to check tests at a given time. Generally, it tends to take around 24 hours, but sometimes only a few hours, and sometimes up to two or three days. I know that you're eager to get started, so I will gladly check your test when it's ready. I should be available most of the day today, barring unforeseen circumstances.
FreddyB

Post by FreddyB »

Hello! I have recently been approved from my 1-minute test and was hoping to work on this project as my first group opportunity.

May I claim...

21 Part 3, Ch 2: "White Elephants"
22 Part 3, Ch 3: "That Will Do It!"
23 Part 3, Ch 4: "Anniversaries at Ebenezer"

Also, to clarify prior to recording, each chapter is to be uploaded separately, correct?

Thank you for your time,

Freddy
AidanLSHS

Post by AidanLSHS »

mightyfelix wrote: March 28th, 2021, 8:41 am
AidanLSHS wrote: March 27th, 2021, 9:27 pm what is the footnote for ch8? and where is the listeners wanted? thanks in advance
If you look at page 76, where section 8 begins, you'll see a little number 1 next to the section title, and then a footnote numbered 1 down at the bottom of the page. So when you record, you'll read the title, "Companions of the Bush," then say "Footnote." Read the footnote, then say "End of footnote." Then start in on the main body of text. (This is the general format for how we read footnotes, by the way, although sometimes footnotes can be omitted. I want this one included, which is why I specified it in the notes.)

I don't know whether a video editor like that could be used to create an audio mp3 file. Audacity may be your best bet, in that case. There are a number of helpful videos that can help you work through setting it up and recording and uploading your test. You can browse those videos here, if you think they may be of help to you: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos

Listeners Wanted can be found here: viewforum.php?f=21 You'll find that our main forum is divided into smaller subforums, such as Readers Wanted (where we are now), Listeners Wanted, Book Suggestions, etc. You can see them all listed on the Board Index page.

As far as how long it takes to get feedback, that depends on how many of our volunteers are available to check tests at a given time. Generally, it tends to take around 24 hours, but sometimes only a few hours, and sometimes up to two or three days. I know that you're eager to get started, so I will gladly check your test when it's ready. I should be available most of the day today, barring unforeseen circumstances.
where do i upload my 1-minute test? am confused. and btw the link to videos that u supplied here is unusable, youtube says that the video cannot be viewed.
AidanLSHS

Post by AidanLSHS »

mightyfelix wrote: March 28th, 2021, 8:41 am

I have submitted my 1-minute test in the listeners and editors wanted forum, do u want me to post it here too? if so, here it is https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_aidanlshs.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

AidanLSHS wrote: March 28th, 2021, 10:28 am where do i upload my 1-minute test? am confused. and btw the link to videos that u supplied here is unusable, youtube says that the video cannot be viewed.
I'm sorry. I did not give you a direct link to a video. The link I gave you was to a list of videos, some of which may be useful to you, and some of which may not. I don't know which one you clicked on, but it's possible that some of them may be old.

Here is a direct link to a video which will walk you through uploading and will also show you where to post the resulting link: https://youtu.be/9oTSlFSoEeY

EDIT: Oh, I see that you figured it out, great! I'll go ahead and check it.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

FreddyB wrote: March 28th, 2021, 8:59 am Hello! I have recently been approved from my 1-minute test and was hoping to work on this project as my first group opportunity.

May I claim...

Also, to clarify prior to recording, each chapter is to be uploaded separately, correct?

Thank you for your time,

Freddy
Hi Freddy, and welcome! Congratulations on completing your test. That's often the biggest hurdle. :)

I'm happy to assign you these chapters. How would you like your name to appear in the LV catalogue? You can use your real name, screen name, or some other pseudonym.

Yes, each chapter will be a separate file. You'll use the file name format that is given in the first post of this thread. The easiest way is to copy and paste that sample file name, plugging in your section numbers as needed (which in this case are 21, 22, and 23).

Please let me know if you have other questions!
AidanLSHS

Post by AidanLSHS »

mightyfelix wrote: March 28th, 2021, 10:46 am
AidanLSHS wrote: March 28th, 2021, 10:28 am where do i upload my 1-minute test? am confused. and btw the link to videos that u supplied here is unusable, youtube says that the video cannot be viewed.
I'm sorry. I did not give you a direct link to a video. The link I gave you was to a list of videos, some of which may be useful to you, and some of which may not. I don't know which one you clicked on, but it's possible that some of them may be old.

Here is a direct link to a video which will walk you through uploading and will also show you where to post the resulting link: https://youtu.be/9oTSlFSoEeY

EDIT: Oh, I see that you figured it out, great! I'll go ahead and check it.
How is the recording? If you are worried about the background talking, I was unlucky and had my family relatives wake up half an hour earlier than normal, but I can ensure a clean, soundless background noise in my chapter readings.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

AidanLSHS wrote: March 28th, 2021, 10:54 am How is the recording? If you are worried about the background talking, I was unlucky and had my family relatives wake up half an hour earlier than normal, but I can ensure a clean, soundless background noise in my chapter readings.
I responded in your test thread. It's best to keep that discussion separate, so that this project thread doesn't become too cluttered.
FreddyB

Post by FreddyB »

mightyfelix wrote: March 28th, 2021, 10:51 am
FreddyB wrote: March 28th, 2021, 8:59 am Hello! I have recently been approved from my 1-minute test and was hoping to work on this project as my first group opportunity.

May I claim...

Thank you for your time,

Freddy
Hi Freddy, and welcome! Congratulations on completing your test. That's often the biggest hurdle. :)

I'm happy to assign you these chapters. How would you like your name to appear in the LV catalogue? You can use your real name, screen name, or some other pseudonym.

Yes, each chapter will be a separate file. You'll use the file name format that is given in the first post of this thread. The easiest way is to copy and paste that sample file name, plugging in your section numbers as needed (which in this case are 21, 22, and 23).

Please let me know if you have other questions!
Hello! As far as my name appearance, Freddy or Freddy B is perfectly fine with me. Thank you so much for your assistance and quick response; the friendliness of this community amazes me!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

FreddyB wrote: March 28th, 2021, 12:08 pm Hello! As far as my name appearance, Freddy or Freddy B is perfectly fine with me.
It's your call which one! Right now, you are in as FreddyB, without the space, as I just copied your screen name. But it's a piece of cake for me to go in and change it, just let me know!
AidanLSHS

Post by AidanLSHS »

If i mess up somewhere i'm gonna have to re-do the entire thing since I don't know how to edit lol
Section 5, part 1, Ch5 On The Old Man's Trail https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/othersideofthehill_05__boreham_128kb.mp3 10:50
AidanLSHS

Post by AidanLSHS »

Section 6, part 1, Ch 6: Sandy
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/othersideofthehill_06_boreham_128kb.mp3 8:44
again, if there are mistakes I can re-do the entire thing tomorrow morning
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Aidan. I'll add these to the MW when I get the chance, sometime this evening.

In the meantime, I do encourage you to learn a little bit about editing. This is a crucial skill that you'll need to know. We never encourage readers to redo an entire chapter for the sake of one or two mistakes. For one thing, it's too much of a time drain for you. But the same thing goes for your proof listener, who would need to listen to the whole thing over again, rather than just checking the one or two spots that needed to be corrected. And on top of all that, the odds are high that another mistake would be introduced somewhere else the second time through. No one, no matter how experienced, can do a full length chapter without a single stumble.

All that being said, here is a video that will show you the bare basics of editing in Audacity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg&feature=youtu.be This covers things like cutting out mistakes, recording and pasting in corrections, noise reduction, and amplification.