[COMPLETE] The Creeds of Christendom - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

InTheDesert wrote: May 24th, 2021, 7:31 pm Sections 61,71,72,74,75 are PL OK. There was more background hum than your recordings usually had but it wasn't distracting. 61 was a mammoth task!
Thank you. I did my usual pass of noise cleaning ... but I don't listen with headphones so I wasn't aware that there was a difference. Also, I recorded these in a very soft room with my Yeti ... so I'm doubly perplexed. I'll listen with headphones next time I record and see if I can tell what's going on. Maybe I need to up the noise cleaning settings on this computer ...

MaryAnn
dronald

Post by dronald »

Is section 19 taken? It says claimed but it also says open.

If it's open I'll take it! If not then that's okay too.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: May 25th, 2021, 5:56 pm Is section 19 taken? It says claimed but it also says open.

It was asssigned to someone but I didn't hear anything for 2 months so I freed it up yesterday. I've assigned it to you!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: 25-26 DPL 21 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: May 25th, 2021, 2:55 pm
InTheDesert wrote: May 24th, 2021, 7:31 pm Sections 61,71,72,74,75 are PL OK. There was more background hum than your recordings usually had but it wasn't distracting. 61 was a mammoth task!
Thank you. I did my usual pass of noise cleaning ... but I don't listen with headphones so I wasn't aware that there was a difference. Also, I recorded these in a very soft room with my Yeti ... so I'm doubly perplexed. I'll listen with headphones next time I record and see if I can tell what's going on. Maybe I need to up the noise cleaning settings on this computer ...

MaryAnn
My best guess is that you recorded at a lower volume than usual and then amplified/compressed? The first half of the catchechism had then hum and then it disappeared in the section half/recording session 2. It wasn't problematic though - just thought you might want to know.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
dronald

Post by dronald »

mscllc

Post by mscllc »

InTheDesert wrote: May 25th, 2021, 5:45 am I checked the reuploaded ones and I think you may have used the 'Normalize' effect in Audacity which is different to the 'Loudness Normalization' effect (https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/loudness_normalization.html). 'Loudness Normalization' is only available in more recent versions.
Yes, I did apply "Normalization", not "Loudness Normalization". That said, I have used perhaps three versions of Audacity in French (the latest installed maybe two years ago), whereas I have never seen the "Normalisation de l'amplitude" option that appears in your screenshot... Your comment about an "older version" of Audacity with the Replay Gain evokes memories of my original use of the program on a North American laptop which has since returned to its original elements amidst his kin in a recycling dump... :shock:

Since I have an important research paper due on June 14th, this may cause a delay of about 3 weeks on my end. The ultimate solution will likely be for me to install the new, "debugged", Audacity 3.0.2, in its complete English version which, thanks to our exchange and my subsequent research, I see has been published as of last month. I was using the French versions as a means of "inculturation", thus learning some technical vocabulary related to my personal activities here in France, but nor do I want to function in a handicapped way if I am depriving myself of the best Audacity version in a language I natively understand... :?

Other than the question of time involved in uninstalling/reinstalling Audacity which competes with my attention to study priorities over the next 19 days, I also want to make sure that I do not destabilise several open projects before their closure (related to the research paper I am submitting, personal study recordings, not LibriVox) Would three weeks from now be too late to pick up steam again? :roll:

mscllc
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mscllc wrote: May 25th, 2021, 11:46 pm
Yes, I did apply "Normalization", not "Loudness Normalization". That said, I have used perhaps three versions of Audacity in French (the latest installed maybe two years ago), whereas I have never seen the "Normalisation de l'amplitude" option that appears in your screenshot... Your comment about an "older version" of Audacity with the Replay Gain evokes memories of my original use of the program on a North American laptop which has since returned to its original elements amidst his kin in a recycling dump... :shock:

Since I have an important research paper due on June 14th, this may cause a delay of about 3 weeks on my end. The ultimate solution will likely be for me to install the new, "debugged", Audacity 3.0.2, in its complete English version which, thanks to our exchange and my subsequent research, I see has been published as of last month. I was using the French versions as a means of "inculturation", thus learning some technical vocabulary related to my personal activities here in France, but nor do I want to function in a handicapped way if I am depriving myself of the best Audacity version in a language I natively understand... :?

Other than the question of time involved in uninstalling/reinstalling Audacity which competes with my attention to study priorities over the next 19 days, I also want to make sure that I do not destabilise several open projects before their closure (related to the research paper I am submitting, personal study recordings, not LibriVox) Would three weeks from now be too late to pick up steam again? :roll:

mscllc
3 weeks would be no problem, though a) if its easier, I could fix it for you and re-upload or b) you could just amplify the files by -4dB which will bring it down the the right level. Loudness Normalization just does automatically what can be done manually.

Audacity 3.0.2 does had some nice new features but if you use macros then it will break macros created in previous versions. It also uses a new file format - it can read old projects but it upgrades them to a new format. So that's worth knowing. If you prefer to keep using the same version of Audacity that works for you at the moment (if it ain't broken, don't fix it), you can just install the ReplayGain plug-in which works fine for the older version which will automatically adjust the levels.
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

InTheDesert wrote: May 26th, 2021, 12:38 am
3 weeks would be no problem, though a) if its easier, I could fix it for you and re-upload or b) you could just amplify the files by -4dB which will bring it down the the right level. Loudness Normalization just does automatically what can be done manually.

Audacity 3.0.2 does had some nice new features but if you use macros then it will break macros created in previous versions. It also uses a new file format - it can read old projects but it upgrades them to a new format. So that's worth knowing. If you prefer to keep using the same version of Audacity that works for you at the moment (if it ain't broken, don't fix it), you can just install the ReplayGain plug-in which works fine for the older version which will automatically adjust the levels.
Thank you, I have opted to reexport them at -4db, which I have just re-re-uploaded to the site under TriciaG's guise. Yes, I suspected that the normalisation function did nothing other than what I could have done with a manual re-amplification: last time I did it at "-1db", whereas I should have known to set it at "-4db" because I had exceeded the range by more than 3 decibels according to the original info with which you had provided me... Hopefully that will now give you a satisfactory result.

And yes, for the moment I do believe it wise for me to heed the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" adage, so I appreciate learning from you about the potential macros issue, etc (I really need to remember what functions I used on past projects before I decide any changeover): I did see that Audacity 3.0.2 had adapted its coding to modern hardware systems, but the article I read did not cover what inconveniences might result to past projects from such an upgrade, etc.

mscllc
YisraelAdler

Post by YisraelAdler »

I AM NEW HERE - I AM LOOKING TO BE CONNECTED TO THE HEBREW GROUP - CAN YOU HELP?
[Email removed by admin]
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

*sob*

I recorded and edited about half of section 54 yesterday. Today I opened it up, and somehow only the first 1:15 of it remains, requiring me to basically redo the whole thing.

I guess God in his sovereignty decided I needed to process it all again. :roll:

I think today I will work on my solo instead.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
missfreudianslit

Post by missfreudianslit »

InTheDesert wrote: May 25th, 2021, 6:14 pm
dronald wrote: May 25th, 2021, 5:56 pm Is section 19 taken? It says claimed but it also says open.

It was asssigned to someone but I didn't hear anything for 2 months so I freed it up yesterday. I've assigned it to you!
I wish I'd been available sooner to say that I'm still working on this :(
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mscllc wrote: May 26th, 2021, 1:30 am
InTheDesert wrote: May 26th, 2021, 12:38 am

Thank you, I have opted to reexport them at -4db, which I have just re-re-uploaded to the site under TriciaG's guise. Yes, I suspected that the normalisation function did nothing other than what I could have done with a manual re-amplification: last time I did it at "-1db", whereas I should have known to set it at "-4db" because I had exceeded the range by more than 3 decibels according to the original info with which you had provided me... Hopefully that will now give you a satisfactory result.

And yes, for the moment I do believe it wise for me to heed the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" adage, so I appreciate learning from you about the potential macros issue, etc (I really need to remember what functions I used on past projects before I decide any changeover): I did see that Audacity 3.0.2 had adapted its coding to modern hardware systems, but the article I read did not cover what inconveniences might result to past projects from such an upgrade, etc.

mscllc
All PL OK!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

PL OK. First time I've read anything by Zwingli.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

May I claim sections 66 & 79?

Thank you!

Greg
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

GregGiordano wrote: May 30th, 2021, 8:19 pm May I claim sections 66 & 79?

Thank you!

Greg
Assigned!