COMPLETE Myths and Legends Around the World (in English) - Collection 8-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Sure! It's not the legend that catches us up - it's the source. An entity could sue LV for recording/publishing from their site.

There are a lot of sites that post stories that are public domain, but the sites themselves are not. We can't use any of that. :(

Project Gutenberg is always safe to use. Hathitrust and Archive.org are good sites, but not everything is public domain there, so we have to check them.

Most sites other than those are not going to be OK for us to record from, so it's good to get a BC or MC to check it for us before we do the recording work.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
genep

Post by genep »

Ivan Tsarevich, The Fire-Bird, and the Gray Wolf
Jeremiah Curtin

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/50011/50011-h/50011-h.htm

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlawoo8_firebird_curtin_gp_128kb.mp3

24:39

Okey dokey! I'll still listen to the The Firebird Suite by Stravinsky and I understand the music even better. However, IT WILL BE A LONG TIME before I read this story again, even though I enjoyed it!

Thanks for everyone's hard work.
G
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Julie! I am so very sorry that I took so long to PL your story!!

Your reading is very nice. You're a great addition to LibriVox. :)

There are two easy things about the recording that need editing:

1) The silences at the beginning and end are a bit too long. If you open the file and zoom in the track so that you can see the half-second marks, it will be easy to cut off some of the silence.

The one at the beginning needs to be between .5 and 1 second long (it is over 2 seconds right now).
The one at the end needs to be between 3 and 5 seconds (it is about 8 seconds right now).

2) Your recording comes in a little quiet, at 84.5 decibels. For LibriVox, we need our recordings to land between 86 and 92. A lot of listeners won't be able to hear yours very well. It's an easy fix, though, and if you're using Audacity, here's how to do it:

With the track already open,

[*]Click Control-A to select the entire track
[*]From the Effects drop-down menu, select Amplify
[*]Type 6 in the top box (ignore everything else)
[*]Click OK[/list]

Now you can re-export the file to mp3 and upload the new file the same way you did the first time. Don't forget to post again. :)

(If you haven't already done so, you might want to bump the recording volume up a little bit for your next file.)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

genep wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:32 pm Ivan Tsarevich, The Fire-Bird, and the Gray Wolf
Jeremiah Curtin

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlawoo8_firebird_curtin_gp_128kb.mp3

Okey dokey! I'll still listen to the The Firebird Suite by Stravinsky and I understand the music even better. However, IT WILL BE A LONG TIME before I read this story again, even though I enjoyed it!

G
Hello, Gene!

I'm glad you mentioned the suite - it was quite cool to listen to it in the background while I was proofing your recording.

Your reading is fantastic - another great volunteer addition to LibriVox. :)

There are two places where the volume needs to be adjusted. It's an easy edit, and if you are using Audacity (the only software I'm familiar with), here's how to do that:
  • Open the recording, and zoom in on the track until you can see the half-second tick marks.
The intro is far louder than the story, so let's bring those decibels down:
  • Drag the mouse over the section from the beginning through 29.5 to highlight that portion of the track.
  • From the Effects drop-down menu, select Amplify
  • Type -5 in the top box (ignore everything else) The minus sign tells it to adjust volume down.
  • Click OK
And then there is one spot inside the story where the volume is significantly lower than the rest, so let's bring those decibels up:
  • Drag the mouse over the section from 2:26 to 2:42 to highlight that portion of the track.
  • Type 7 in the top box (ignore everything else)
  • Click OK
Now you can re-export the file to mp3 and upload the new file the same way you did the first time. Don't forget to post again. :)
~Lynette * -
JamesOinam

Post by JamesOinam »

Hi Everyone,

I have uploaded a short story:

Chapter Title: Hyacinthus
Book: A Book of Myths
Author: Jean Lang
URL: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22693
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw008_hyacinthus_jean_lang_oj_128kb.mp3
Length: 8:10

Please check if the submission can be included in this collection.

Thanks and regards,
James
genep

Post by genep »

LCaulkins wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:34 am
genep wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:32 pm Ivan Tsarevich, The Fire-Bird, and the Gray Wolf
Jeremiah Curtin

G
Hello, Gene!

I'm glad you mentioned the suite - it was quite cool to listen to it in the background while I was proofing your recording.

There are two places where the volume needs to be adjusted. It's an easy edit, and if you are using Audacity (the only software I'm familiar with), here's how to do that:
  • Open the recording, and zoom in on the track until you can see the half-second tick marks.
  • Drag the mouse over the section from the beginning through 29.5 to highlight that portion of the track.
  • Type -5 in the top box (ignore everything else) The minus sign tells it to adjust volume down.
  • Click OK
And then there is one spot inside the story where the volume is significantly lower than the rest, so let's bring those decibels up:
  • Drag the mouse over the section from 2:26 to 2:42 to highlight that portion of the track.
  • Click OK
Thanks for the feedback and glad you liked it. I recorded the story bc this is my favorite piece of music. Now to questions. I use Audacity, so thanks again. I will correct whatever is needed but would like to understand it, first. Yeah, I know, that's a pain. Really not just being argumentative.

You indicate the intro is louder than the rest and you are certainly more experienced. My wave form doesn't indicate that. Also, you indicate to select from intro to 29.5.That looks like the entire piece. Should it be? Happy to fix it, just don't know where.

On my track 2:26-2:42 is relative silence between phrases, so should be low. Am I reading the numbers wrong?

FYI, when I did an ACX check, it was all good. Hmmmm, now I remember something about a librivox check.....Just found it and ran it. Says I passed. So now, this newbie is really confused. :hmm: :help:

Thanks for helping me learn all this.

G
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

genep wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:02 am
Hello, Gene!

• Click OK
  • Click OK
Thanks for the feedback and glad you liked it. I recorded the story bc this is my favorite piece of music. Now to questions. I use Audacity, so thanks again. I will correct whatever is needed but would like to understand it, first. Yeah, I know, that's a pain. Really not just being argumentative.

You indicate the intro is louder than the rest and you are certainly more experienced. My wave form doesn't indicate that. Also, you indicate to select from intro to 29.5.That looks like the entire piece. Should it be? Happy to fix it, just don't know where.

On my track 2:26-2:42 is relative silence between phrases, so should be low. Am I reading the numbers wrong?

FYI, when I did an ACX check, it was all good. Hmmmm, now I remember something about a librivox check.....Just found it and ran it. Says I passed. So now, this newbie is really confused. :hmm: :help:

Thanks for helping me learn all this.

G
I don't mind your questions at all. :) You don't come off as argumentative. I remember extremely well how bewildering everything seemed to me when I was a "young" reader here, and I only thought you sounded like it wasn't clear yet for you. It does all clear up as you go along.

Yes, Checker passes the recording - but when you know that it checks a file by taking little samplings throughout, rather than evaluating every bit of the track, it becomes clear how a track passes the overall check, but can still have spots in it that are "wonky." I didn't know that about Checker until I'd done dozens of recordings. :lol: And that's why a fresh ear listening to the whole recording for us is a valuable thing, rather than just running a file through Checker and saying, oh good! This is finished.

For the time stamps I listed - I should have put :29.5 for the ending of the first one (so, you'd highlight the first 29 and a half seconds of the recording, which is the entire intro). Sorry about that forgotten semi-colon - yeah, 29 minutes would be about the entire track!

If your track is zoomed in until you can see the tick marks for the half-seconds, you'll be able to see visually that the sound waves are much larger in this first stretch than they are where the story starts. And then you'll also see that in the stretch starting at 2 minutes, 26 seconds, the waves are super small. In both of those areas, when listening to the recording, you get abrupt and significant changes in volume that are disruptive to your reading.

I love that it is so easy for us to fix the volume so you'd never know those existed before, and nothing has to be re-recorded to do so. :heart:

Let me know if I still haven't cleared it up for you. I'm not always the best at that.
~Lynette * -
genep

Post by genep »

Lynette, sorry I haven’t gotten back to you. Life’s necessities have gotten in my way! I will finish up next week.
G
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

genep wrote: February 25th, 2021, 7:37 pm Lynette, sorry I haven’t gotten back to you. Life’s necessities have gotten in my way! I will finish up next week.
G
You're good! We get it. :) Thanks for the update.
~Lynette * -
genep

Post by genep »

Jeremiah Curtin

G
Hello, Gene!

• Click OK
  • Click OK

Corrected volume uploaded. Thanks for the help. G

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/Librivox_Firebird.mp3
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

genep wrote: March 1st, 2021, 8:32 am
Corrected volume uploaded. Thanks for the help. G

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/Librivox_Firebird.mp3

Beautifully edited :) Thank you so much! Your Firebird recording is PL OK :thumbs:

(file name needs to be fixed, but I think MaryAnn will be willing to catch that in this case)
~Lynette * -
genep

Post by genep »

:D

File name! ugh. What did I do, and what should it have been? Thanks to MaryAnn, and to you Lynette. Hmmm, maybe I see the error....
Generoushorse

Post by Generoushorse »

on average, how long does it take for a collection to be completed? I have something I want to read but I want to get some more practice under my belt so I can do the story justice.
Roxy
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

genep wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:15 pm :D

File name! ugh. What did I do, and what should it have been? Thanks to MaryAnn, and to you Lynette. Hmmm, maybe I see the error....
It's no sweat at all, Gene - I would guess that you used a working title for the file name and forgot to make it into the LibriVox format for this project when you exported for the new mp3. It's something I've done several times. :wink: MaryAnn will fix it when this collection is catalogued. :)
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Generoushorse wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 8:28 am on average, how long does it take for a collection to be completed? I have something I want to read but I want to get some more practice under my belt so I can do the story justice.
Hello, Generoushorse! Welcome to LibriVox.

You can take all the practice time you want, because the Myths and Legends Around the World project keeps a collection open all the time. When this one fills, we'll get 9 up and running right away!

So you're not going to miss the boat. :)
~Lynette * -