[FULL] Short Science Fiction Collection 076-ag

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
Post Reply
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9522
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 25th, 2021, 8:56 pm

Short Science Fiction Collection 076 by Various ( - ).

Science fiction is a genre encompassing imaginative works that take place in this world or that of the author’s creation where anything is possible. The only rules are those set forth by the author. The speculative nature of the genre inspires thought and plants seeds that have led to advances in science. The genre can spark an interest in the sciences and is cited as the impetus for the career choice of many scientists. It is a playing field to explore social perspectives, predictions of the future, and engage in adventures unbound into the richness of the human mind. ( A. Gramour)
  • This collection is for science fiction stories of less than 70 minutes in duration that are in the Public Domain(with expired copyright, or published before 1925). Gutenberg plain text, us-ascii, uncompressed files of less than 78 KB or 10,000 story words can generally be read in less than 70 minutes.
    Claiming stories is unnecessary (duplicates are held for future collections)

    Finding Texts:

    Librivox threads on Science fiction in the public domain and the new arrivals in PG can be found here: List of Early Science Fiction and More Recent Sci Fi.
    Project Gutenberg’s Science Fiction Bookshelf is a good starting point.
    Project Gutenberg continues to add science fiction magazines such as The Galaxy and Astounding Stories. There you can view the fantastic covers and illustrations that accompany the stories.
    The Science Fiction Short Stories Science Fiction Short Stories page shows stories that can be read in less than 60 minutes.

    File Requirements:
    • Recording must be a monaural MP3 file with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and a bit rate of 128 Kbps.

    • File name must be formatted entirely in lower case letters and use under-bars to separate values as in:
    ssf076_titleinoneword_authorlastname_readersinitials_128kb.mp3 (e.g. ssf076_nightfall_asimov_abc_128kb.mp3) Exclude definite articles like “The” from the file name.




    Recordings require 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the file.
    Beginning Announcement:
    “[story title] by [author]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    You can then optionally say: "Recording by [your name]".
    Then repeat: "[Title], by [author]. Translated by [translator]."

    Ending Announcement:
    "End of [title], by [author] Translated by [translator]."
    You can then optionally say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Recordings require 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file.


    For help with recording issues see the LibriVox Newbie Guide to Recording.
    For help with noise cleaning in your recordings see theNoise Cleaningpage of the LibriVox wiki.
    More help with most anything can be found in Need Help?Got Advice? forum topic

    Posting completed recordings:
    • Send your completed recording to us by using the LibriVox Uploader
    Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • For help with posting completed recordings see the How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
• Always post a message to this forum thread after a successful upload. The message must contain:
o The story title
o The author’s name
o The URL displayed by the LibriVox Uploader after the file has successfully uploaded
o The URL for the online version of the text. So there can be a choice of file format to download, please use the Gutenberg main page for the source such as https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29975
o The duration of the recording
• If this is your first submission to the Short Science Fiction Collections please provide:
o Your name/pseudonym as you wish it to appear in the LibriVox catalog
o Your personal website URL (optional)
Check this forum thread frequently for messages pertaining to your story!

Level of prooflistening: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:



BC Admin
===========================================
(PL = Proof-Listening; PLC = Proof-listening Complete; PL OK = ready to catalog)

============================================

Questions can be posted to this thread.


Any questions?
Please post below.

Live and Prosper!
-Amy :)

JoannaRosey
Posts: 18
Joined: January 25th, 2021, 11:39 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Post by JoannaRosey » January 29th, 2021, 3:54 pm

Good day, Amy! Happy to contribute. Hope this makes the cut.

We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, Hardly
Roger Kuykendall
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24118
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_wedidntdoanything_kuykendall_js_128kb.mp3
9:27
Last edited by JoannaRosey on February 5th, 2021, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you,
Joanna

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9522
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 29th, 2021, 8:24 pm

Hi Joanna,
Thanks for starting this one off. I will PL soon.
Cheers,
-Amy

JustinPaul
Posts: 24
Joined: November 10th, 2020, 8:57 am

Post by JustinPaul » January 30th, 2021, 3:21 pm

I would like to do

The Place Where Chicago Was
By Jim Harmon
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/51832/51832-h/51832-h.htm

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9522
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 30th, 2021, 3:45 pm

JustinPaul wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 3:21 pm
I would like to do

The Place Where Chicago Was
By Jim Harmon
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/51832/51832-h/51832-h.htm
It looks like a good one for this collection.

Jackmurraymuzz
Posts: 5
Joined: January 19th, 2021, 9:54 am

Post by Jackmurraymuzz » January 30th, 2021, 6:05 pm

Hello Amy, hope this is appropriate for this list.

The Big Trip Up Yonder
Kurt Vonnegut Jr
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29975
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_bigtripupyonder_vonnegut_jm_128kb.mp3
19:37
Jack Murray

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9522
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 30th, 2021, 8:41 pm

Jackmurraymuzz wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 6:05 pm
Hello Amy, hope this is appropriate for this list.

The Big Trip Up Yonder
Kurt Vonnegut Jr
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29975
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_bigtripupyonder_vonnegut_jm_128kb.mp3
19:37
Jack Murray
Hi Jack,
It most certainly is. I will PL soon.
Thank you for your story!
-Amy

JamesJenkins
Posts: 107
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » January 31st, 2021, 3:28 am

JoannaRosey wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 3:54 pm
Good day, Amy! Happy to contribute. Hope this makes the cut.

We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, Hardly
Roger Kuykendall
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24118
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_wedidntdoanything_kuykendall_js_128kb.mp3
9:27
Joanna Schreck | http://thebooktrailer.org/
Joanna

Thank you for your recording, Personally I really enjoyed your reading style.

The volume is 85.9 the goal is 86 - 92

If you are using Audacity you can correct the volume by applying the effect 'Replay Gain'

You included the record date at the beginning and end; 0:17 and 9:20, this should not be part the announcement.

Can you correct these two things and re-upload (same file name)?

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

JoannaRosey
Posts: 18
Joined: January 25th, 2021, 11:39 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Post by JoannaRosey » January 31st, 2021, 6:47 am

Thanks very much, James. This new file should do the trick. Don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything further.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_wedidntdoanythingwrong_kuykendall_js_128kb.mp3
Thank you,
Joanna

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9522
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 31st, 2021, 8:40 am

Jackmurraymuzz wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 6:05 pm

The Big Trip Up Yonder
Hi Jack,
Nice reading. You have a fast reading pace so I suggest having a moment between sentences. That is just a suggestion for your future recordings.
There are a few things that need to be updated before it is good to go.
-Amplify it by 6 db (If that will cause clipping, use the compressor effect first.)
-Add 5 seconds to the end.
-Remove the mike bumps/bangs at 0.54, 11:12:05, 13:26, 16:20, 16:25, 16:26, 16:35
-@18:24 Schenectady is pronounced: skuh-NEK'-tuh-dee
-@19:03 it needs to be: skuh-NEK'
Please make these updates and reupload it.
Thanks!
-Amy

JamesJenkins
Posts: 107
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » January 31st, 2021, 9:03 am

JoannaRosey wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 6:47 am
Thanks very much, James. This new file should do the trick. Don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything further.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_wedidntdoanythingwrong_kuykendall_js_128kb.mp3
PL Ok now.

P.S. This is my first PL, and I have been informed that it is Ok to include the record date. If you want to include it in future readings feel free.

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9522
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 31st, 2021, 9:15 am

Post moved from SciFi 075-
Post by martral » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:40 am
Title: The Common Man
Author: Guy McCord (AKA Dallas McCord Reynolds)
Release Date: October 25, 2007 [EBook #23194]
Language: English

Hi Amy,

This turned out to be a bit longer than expected, but here it is in two parts. Please enjoy.
Any comments are very welcome.

Regards,
Ralph

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_commonman_mccord_part1_rjm_128kb.mp3.mp3
60:15

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_commonman_mccord_part2_rjm_128kb.mp3.mp3
55:28

JamesJenkins
Posts: 107
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » January 31st, 2021, 12:02 pm

alg1001 wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 9:15 am
Post moved from SciFi 075-
Post by martral » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:40 am
Title: The Common Man
Author: Guy McCord (AKA Dallas McCord Reynolds)
Release Date: October 25, 2007 [EBook #23194]
Language: English

Hi Amy,

This turned out to be a bit longer than expected, but here it is in two parts. Please enjoy.
Any comments are very welcome.

Regards,
Ralph

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_commonman_mccord_part1_rjm_128kb.mp3.mp3
60:15

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_commonman_mccord_part2_rjm_128kb.mp3.mp3
55:28
Hi Ralph, I am helping Amy with the Proof Listening. I will PL soon.

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

JamesJenkins
Posts: 107
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » February 2nd, 2021, 1:49 pm

JamesJenkins wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 12:02 pm
alg1001 wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 9:15 am
Post moved from SciFi 075-
Post by martral » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:40 am
Title: The Common Man
Author: Guy McCord (AKA Dallas McCord Reynolds)
Release Date: October 25, 2007 [EBook #23194]
Language: English

Hi Amy,

This turned out to be a bit longer than expected, but here it is in two parts. Please enjoy.
Any comments are very welcome.

Regards,
Ralph

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_commonman_mccord_part1_rjm_128kb.mp3.mp3
60:15

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_commonman_mccord_part2_rjm_128kb.mp3.mp3
55:28
Hi Ralph, I am helping Amy with the Proof Listening. I will PL soon.

James

Ralph,

Both files end with .mp3 twice can you correct?

Part 1

A couple of minor issues need to be addressed

22:20 Missing the words "was haunted" (important plot point)

Missing Ending announcement for part 1

Correction not required
There is some background noise (particlarly durring the first minute) dectable while using a headset, while it is ok within Librovix standards you might not be applying the effect Noise reduction, equally to all parts of the recording. I does look like you applied it fine on most parts of the recording.


Part 2

Just the file name needs to be corrected.

No PL issues, but a couple of sections with noise reduction not applied, you don't need to fix it in this recording but consider for your next recording.
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

suzu94
Posts: 16
Joined: October 24th, 2020, 9:09 am

Post by suzu94 » February 3rd, 2021, 6:09 am

Hello!

I'd like to submit a recording of The Beasts In The Void by Paul W. Fairman. Hope it fits this selection!

Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32162/32162-h/32162-h.htm
Recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf076_thebeastsinthevoid_fairman_sa_128kb.mp3
Length: 38:30

Sarah

Post Reply