COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 080 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
MrFace

Post by MrFace »

Sue Anderson wrote: January 26th, 2021, 7:48 am
MrFace wrote: January 25th, 2021, 8:58 pm Hi Sue,
I have another title that might be suitable, "Prejudices, First Series, by H. L. (Henry Louis) Mencken, XII The Genealogy of Etiquette" that I would be interested in reading. It's about 5000 words so I guess around 30 minutes. This would be my second reading for the series.

Let me know what you think and I can get started.

Thanks,
Brett

Hi Brett, Mencken's essay is PD and therefore is ok to read. You don't need permission to read something for the SNF, as long as it is nonfiction and in the Public Domain.

Nevertheless, since you asked, I took a look at Mencken's essay. "The Geneology of Etiquette!" is both contentious and timely. I think you'll have fun with it!
Hi Sue,
Yes, I thought it seemed apropos for the times. I'll get started on it soon.
Just to be clear though, are you saying that you don't need to get approval to have a reading adding to this collection? Is it that once you fill up the current volume that you just start another?
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

MrFace wrote: January 26th, 2021, 4:36 pm
Hi Sue,
Yes, I thought it seemed apropos for the times. I'll get started on it soon.
Just to be clear though, are you saying that you don't need to get approval to have a reading adding to this collection? Is it that once you fill up the current volume that you just start another?
Hi Brett, Yes, you're correct, you don't need to get approval if your selection is nonfiction and in the public domain. This is spelled out in paragraph #2 in my instructions at the top of this post:

"Please select and record any short nonfiction piece in the public domain. For clarification of what it means for a work to be "in the public domain," see this section of the LibriVox Wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Copyright_and_Public_Domain. Try to stay with works that run less than 60 minutes [74 minutes is the absolute max]. You may read a maximum of 2 selections per volume. There is no need to "sign-up" before recording; as long as the work is clearly in the public domain. Multiple versions are welcome, so don't worry whether someone else has recorded your selection already; we're happy to hear your version too. :)"

However, I've added a caveat to the instructions in my first post under the instructions, which reads: "If you have any doubts about the public domain status of anything you want to read for the collection, please feel free to post the source along with your query in the thread, and I will be glad to help you! Thanks!" The reason I say this is that, particularly for people starting out at LibriVox, there have been times that people have submitted a recording they "think" is PD, but it really isn't. If you stick to Gutenberg for your sourcing, this is unlikely to be a problem. But, just as an example of where problems do occur: Wikisource will often publish something that they say is PD, when it is not, which is why I do NOT recommend Wikisource, It's also why, particularly when you're new to LibriVox, it's probably a good insurance to check with us about your source. After all, prudence pays...
------------

As to whether the Short Nonfiction Collection is on-going. Yes it is. The SNF was started in 2007 by our metacoordinator, knotyouraveragejo, who still does the SNF cataloging. SNF #1 was cataloged on August 23, 2007. I took on the role of Book Coordinator with volume 28, cataloged on March 2, 2013; and Soupy came on board as Dedicated Proof Listener with volume 39, cataloged on November 27, 2015. We're all volunteers, as you know, and to the best of my knowledge, none of the three of us has ever met any of the others in person, but we pull together, and all of us consider our contributors as part of the team!!!!! :) That is what I call the Librivox spirit.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi Craig, Avicena (900 A.D.-1037 A.D) is PL OK! :) He sounds rather contemporary! "...the subjects of the doctrine of medicine...namely. how health may be preserved and sickness removed. And the causes of this kind are the rules in eating and drinking, and the choice or air, and the measure of movement and rest; and doctoring with medicines; and doctoring with the hands..."
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Sue :D

I like your little history of the short nonfiction collection. Both Bacon and Avicena sound modern. Thanks for PLing.

Our weather has been snowy and windy in the Fox Valley.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
PSAhdi

Post by PSAhdi »

Hi Sue,
I am planning to read a few chapters from "BIRDS IN THE CALENDAR". I hope this is fine.

Cheers,
Pradeep Ahdi
regards,
PS Ahdi
Maida

Post by Maida »

Hello,

I finished my Chapter 1, pages 4-6 of Wildflowers of the Farm. Please tell me if it is good enough.

Title of the work: Wildflowers of the Farm
Author of the work: Arthur O. Cooke
Audio Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf080_wildflowersofthefarm_cooke_ms_128kb.mp3

Book URL: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13347
Length in minutes: 6:29
Name in catalog: Maida
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

PSAhdi wrote: January 27th, 2021, 3:55 am Hi Sue,
I am planning to read a few chapters from "BIRDS IN THE CALENDAR". I hope this is fine.

Cheers,
Pradeep Ahdi
Hi Pradeep, Chapters from Birds in the Calendar would be fine to read for the Short Nonfiction Collection! http://www.gutenberg.org/files/27465/27465-h/27465-h.htm. It's a nice idea to give listeners an idea of what birds to listen to or look for each month of the year.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Maida wrote: January 27th, 2021, 4:11 am Hello,

I finished my Chapter 1, pages 4-6 of Wildflowers of the Farm. Please tell me if it is good enough.

Title of the work: Wildflowers of the Farm
Author of the work: Arthur O. Cooke
Audio Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf080_wildflowersofthefarm_cooke_ms_128kb.mp3

Book URL: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13347
Length in minutes: 6:29
Name in catalog: Maida
Hi Maida, Thank you very much for this chapter of Wildflowers of the Farm! :D I like the way Cooke starts by explaining what a flower is. I listened to your recording, and you sound just fine! You read very clearly!

The next thing to happen is that our Dedicated Proof Listener (DPL), Soupy (Craig) will proof listen your recording, comparing it to the text, to be sure that they are the same. Once he gives his ok, your recording will be ready for cataloging and will appear in volume 80 of the SNF.

Keep up the good work!
Maida

Post by Maida »

Thank you, Sue!

I enjoyed how he paints the scenery using words.

I'm nervous because here in my house there are some background noises like my dogs and chickens.

I hope it goes well for our Short Nonfiction collection.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the nice reading about flowers Maida :thumbs:

Welcome to Librivox - you did a very good job reading the article. I didn't hear any clicks and the recording passed the checker program for correct specifications.

You seem to have many puffs from p's and other similar letters.

Below is a video from YouTube showing how to get rid of popping p sounds. You don't have to remove the popping p sounds from this video. You will get less popping p sounds if you move a little farther from the microphone or use a filter for your microphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be0Y6E8pnyQ&feature=youtu.be

I often just delete the puff of the p and listen to make sure the word sounds the same before moving to my next edit. The more you use audacity the better you will become :D

This link will take you to some tutorials.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_Tutorials

Your reading was PLOK but you left 10 seconds of silence at the end of the recording

Please leave no more than 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording. Add about 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.

You can make corrections and then upload the corrected audio using the same file name and it will replace the previous recording. Leave a note in this thread with the new recording in new recording time and I will look at it again.

Thanks for your hard work with this recording :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Maida

Post by Maida »

Hi, Craig!

Thank you for the feedback. I`ll be more careful with the plosives next time. The links that you shared are very helpful. :)

Here is the new link for the edited audio.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf080_wildflowersofthefarm_cooke_ms_128kb.mp3

Duration: 6:08
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Maida :thumbs:

You went from 6:29 to 6:08 :D

Now your end silence is 2 seconds.

I don't want to be so picky but it seems we need 3 seconds added.

Unless Sue says to forget it :D

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Maida

Post by Maida »

Hi, Craig

Sorry about that. I'll edit it later. It's 1:48 am in Philippines and my PC is now off. Sorry for the trouble.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Maida wrote: January 27th, 2021, 10:49 am Hi, Craig

Sorry about that. I'll edit it later. It's 1:48 am in Philippines and my PC is now off. Sorry for the trouble.
Maida, Craig, Let's let this go; we can add the 3 seconds on this end if we need them. :)