[SCIENCE] The History of Esculent Fish by Roger North -jo

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
silverquill

Post by silverquill » January 30th, 2021, 12:19 am

j3nwarren wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 2:37 pm
Oooh fish. I'd like to reserve sections 15 and 16. BTW, I think there is a duplicate row in the MW, sections 18 and 19 have the same title.
Thanks for the heads up!
I've got this squared away now.
I've put you in for the above. Let me know if that looks good to you.
~ Larry

silverquill

Post by silverquill » January 30th, 2021, 12:41 am

nwlilley wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 12:11 pm
Here is my recording for The Chub. Others forthcoming. Thank you.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/esculentfish_03_north_128kb.mp3
Well, since you forged ahead with this, I thought I would go ahead and listen to this and accept it in lieu of the prescribed test recording.

You actually did quite well with only a couple of minor things to tweak. Your reading itself is excellent!

The closing silence is a bit short. We like it to be closer to five seconds, and there is a mike bump in there you can cut out.

The volume is right at the top of our range, coming in at 91.8 dB. Our target is 89 dB with a range of 86-92. So, as long as you need to do the correction at the end, you might as well take the volume down a bit. I have a post just above this with some resources for measuring volume.

So, just upload your corrected file under the same name.
Don't forget to include the file length as mm:ss

Then, I need to know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog -- real name, pseudonym or any nickname you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.

Just another point of procedure. It is best to make claims by section number for clarity and ease. Also, you should always wait until your claim has been acknowledged and assigned before recording and submitting. There are good reasons for this and avoids confusion. Of course, some of us get confused anyway. :lol:

Welcome to LibriVox!
~ Larry

alexandraatiya

Post by alexandraatiya » January 30th, 2021, 9:45 am

Ok, thanks! I will try to re-record with fewer gaps/pauses and repost next week!
silverquill wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 9:51 pm
Thank you for our first recording for this project.
We don't have a DPL yet, so I thought I'd go ahead and take a listen so I could give you some feedback.

Overall, a very good recording. I found just one small recording glitch for you to fix. Should be an easy edit.

At about 4:14 stumble “of thi – of this” and some longish pauses right after that that you could tighten up.
And, just as a general comment, I found the pauses between sentences and phrases a bit long, giving the narration a choppy feeling, rather than a natural flowing quality. I have this same tendency, so I do a lot of editing to shorten those gaps. I'm not suggesting you need to do that -- just a general comment as something to consider as you continue your recordings.

Two other technical things that need correcting.
* The file name is incorrect. We need the leading zero for the section name, so it needs to be _02_
* The volume is too loud, at 92.3 dB. Our target is 89 dB with a range of 86-91 dB. So you can use the amplification feature and set it at a minus 3 and you would be good.

Just upload your file under the corrected name, then post the link and new file length here and I will check it again.
Let me know if you have any questions or need help.

I think you're off to a really good start!

================

Here are two programs that I use to adjust the volume of recordings:

1. CHECKER
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker>CHECKER.

This little program was written specifically for LibriVox, and is very easy to use.
Just drag your file to the Checker window, and it will quickly check it for all LibriVox specifications and give you a report.

One of the measurements is the volume in decibels. Use the Amplify feature under the Effect menu in Audacity to adjust the volume, by setting the value to plus or minus to bring the recording close to the LV target of 89 dB.

2. ReplayGain
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

This article will introduce you to ReplayGain, which is a plugin specifically for Audacity. There is a link to download it and a link to a tutorial on how to use it. Once installed, it is easy to use. Depending on your version of Audacity, it will appear either in the Analyze menu or the Effects menu. ReplayGain can be selected to analyze the recording, giving a reading of how many decibels, plus or minus, that the recording is off from the target. It is then easy to use the Audacity Amplify feature to make the adjustment before exporting the file.

silverquill

Post by silverquill » January 31st, 2021, 9:38 pm

alexandraatiya wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 9:45 am
Ok, thanks! I will try to re-record with fewer gaps/pauses and repost next week!
No need to re-record.
Just fix the one stumble and adjust the volume, and upload with corrected file name.
~ Larry

LangeM

Post by LangeM » February 1st, 2021, 4:34 pm

May I read 7, 10, and 13, Mackerel, Pike, and Whiting, respectively.

Thank you, ML

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle » February 1st, 2021, 8:12 pm

if this project still needs a DPL, I am happy to sign up!
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com

silverquill

Post by silverquill » February 1st, 2021, 9:05 pm

plaidsicle wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 8:12 pm
if this project still needs a DPL, I am happy to sign up!
Thanks so much! :9:
~ Larry

silverquill

Post by silverquill » February 1st, 2021, 9:26 pm

LangeM wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 4:34 pm

Thank you, ML
Thank you!
I've signed you up for these three sections.
~ Larry

LangeM

Post by LangeM » February 2nd, 2021, 10:12 am

silverquill wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 9:26 pm
LangeM wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 4:34 pm

Thank you, ML
Thank you!
I've signed you up for these three sections.
Ooo, boy, I best get my line baited and my tackle tip top. :lol:
I'm looking forward to it. Thank you.

AbbasVO

Post by AbbasVO » February 3rd, 2021, 4:40 pm

Could I do sections 6, 8, and 9?

CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks » February 4th, 2021, 2:54 am

I'm pretty new, making my way through the different kinds of texts to read. This looks like quite a detour from the poetry and stories. I'm open to feedback before and after, as I'm trying to finesse the process.

If I can fill in the last Fish section 11 (Roach & Shad), and then take up some of the easier essay paragraphs like sections 17-23, I think that should be a fun exploration/introduction of Science textbook-types.
:clap:
I wish it to be said of me: "They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, Hope Farm Notes, H.W. Collingwood)

j3nwarren

Post by j3nwarren » February 4th, 2021, 8:26 am

silverquill wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 12:19 am
j3nwarren wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 2:37 pm
Oooh fish. I'd like to reserve sections 15 and 16. BTW, I think there is a duplicate row in the MW, sections 18 and 19 have the same title.
Thanks for the heads up!
I've got this squared away now.
I've put you in for the above. Let me know if that looks good to you.
Thank you! I'm hoping to do at least one of these this weekend.

silverquill

Post by silverquill » February 4th, 2021, 8:33 am

AbbasVO wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 4:40 pm
Could I do sections 6, 8, and 9?
I've put you in for these.
Thank you!
~ Larry

silverquill

Post by silverquill » February 4th, 2021, 8:41 am

CassiopeiaSparks wrote:
February 4th, 2021, 2:54 am
I'm pretty new, making my way through the different kinds of texts to read. This looks like quite a detour from the poetry and stories. I'm open to feedback before and after, as I'm trying to finesse the process.

If I can fill in the last Fish section 11 (Roach & Shad), and then take up some of the easier essay paragraphs like sections 17-23, I think that should be a fun exploration/introduction of Science textbook-types.
:clap:
I've assigned you to the above sections.
Thank you!

LibriVox is a very diverse universe. With a global community of volunteers, many languages, a wide range of projects of all types, and many ways to contribute. There is something for everyone! I aim for a variety of projects that I coordinate and read for. Such a wonderful playground. :D So, have fun exploring LibriVox.
~ Larry